The UKAR Gaming Thread

Re: The UKAR Gaming Thread

Postby boff180 on Sun 11 Dec 2016, 2:49 pm

Private Custard wrote:When I was building my latest PC, I got Watch Dogs 2 for free with my GTX 1070. It's an utter mess!

I really enjoyed the first one, despite its failings. This one however, is just awful. The UI is cluttered and clunky, the way missions are handed out is overly confusing and totally unintuitive, the random jumps into multiplayer, when another player suddenly starts hacking you, are jarring and intrusive. Overall, a really shoddy experience.

Poor show UbiSoft, poor show.

Ubisoft have made an industry out of designing a superb game then ruining the franchise with poorly produced sequels.

Take Hawx, Assassins Creed, Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon - all recently ruined for different reasons.

AC - Very buggy and scripted
R6 - No single player!
GR - Completely changing the base story/principals
HAWX 2 - Complete scripted rubbish compared to the excellent original game.
boff180
UKAR Staff

Postby Private Custard on Sun 11 Dec 2016, 2:58 pm

I really enjoyed AC - Black Flag, thought the entire experience was amazing. It was badly optimised though, so big battles got laggy. But yeah, Ubi have a terrible reputation nowadays, which is sad really. Great memories from their earlier games.

Flare Path wrote:hipster garbage. Shame, but that's what the fan base wanted.

What's more important to the modern world than followers? I mean, hell, the world would just stop spinning without likes, hashtags, selfies, and all that other crap!
Private Custard

Postby Flare Path on Sun 11 Dec 2016, 3:39 pm

Private Custard wrote:

What's more important to the modern world than followers? I mean, hell, the world would just stop spinning without likes, hashtags, selfies, and all that other crap!

No issue with that. It was the characters - the way they behaved, the way they dressed etc. Ridiculous.

I'm one of the few who appreciated the serious tone of Aiden Pearce. However, they decided to go in a completely new direction and I didn't enjoy the jarring difference between the two - big disappointment.
Flare Path

Postby Private Custard on Sun 11 Dec 2016, 4:10 pm

Flare Path wrote:
Private Custard wrote:

No issue with that. It was the characters - the way they behaved, the way they dressed etc. Ridiculous.

I'm one of the few who appreciated the serious tone of Aiden Pearce. However, they decided to go in a completely new direction and I didn't enjoy the jarring difference between the two - big disappointment.

Yep, Pearce was one of the few characters I've actually liked in the past few years. Things have gotten so bad, gaming-wise, I'm actually considering reinstalling Far Cry 3 for some proper fun!
Private Custard

Postby DanH on Mon 12 Dec 2016, 1:44 pm

https://youtu.be/XlGhXNLN7G8

This has left me a little excited.
Always seeking to lower the tone...
DanH

Postby Tommy on Sun 12 Mar 2017, 10:35 am

So I know I'm late to the party on this one, but I managed to nab a budget copy of The Last Of Us last weekend, and wow... what a masterful, beautiful, incredible piece of entertainment! :king: :king:

Currently also just starting Mafia III - seems pretty decent atm. Quite liking the post-Vietnam 70s America vibes. :rock:
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby Airwolfhound on Sun 12 Mar 2017, 12:16 pm

Recently downloaded Ghost Recon Wildlands on PS4 and slowly getting to grips with it. Not 100% what I expected, which isn't a bad thing. A bit of an 'open world' which is good and some rather nice gameplay and graphics. A nice change from Battlefield :-)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)
Airwolfhound

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Sun 12 Mar 2017, 12:39 pm

Airwolfhound wrote:Recently downloaded Ghost Recon Wildlands on PS4 and slowly getting to grips with it. Not 100% what I expected, which isn't a bad thing. A bit of an 'open world' which is good and some rather nice gameplay and graphics. A nice change from Battlefield :-)

Played the beta, but didn't like the "feel" of it. All seemed very numb to me. I was hoping for it to feel like The Division, but with tactics.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Postby The Doctor on Thu 04 May 2017, 11:06 am

Airwolfhound wrote:Recently downloaded Ghost Recon Wildlands on PS4 and slowly getting to grips with it. Not 100% what I expected, which isn't a bad thing. A bit of an 'open world' which is good and some rather nice gameplay and graphics. A nice change from Battlefield :-)

I personally really enjoy playing this with a full squad of friends. It can be quite tactical and the standard Ubisoft glitches generate plenty of laughs. I would imagine that it would be quite repetitive if played single player with an AI squad.
The Doctor

Postby Airwolfhound on Thu 04 May 2017, 11:36 am

The Doctor wrote:

I personally really enjoy playing this with a full squad of friends. It can be quite tactical and the standard Ubisoft glitches generate plenty of laughs. I would imagine that it would be quite repetitive if played single player with an AI squad.

I am quite a way into the game now and I have to admit some bits are slightly repetitive, but I'm enjoying it and kills an hour or two in the evening once herself has retired to the pit :grin:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)
Airwolfhound

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Thu 04 May 2017, 12:24 pm

Anyone got the GT Sport closed beta?
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Postby Tommy on Sun 01 Oct 2017, 1:53 pm

*Heavy Breathing*

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby Ryan. on Mon 02 Oct 2017, 11:30 am

Rockstar really are in a class of there own. :clap:
Ryan.

Postby DanH on Wed 04 Oct 2017, 7:14 pm

Has anyone else managed to bag themselves one of the Classic SNES mini consoles that were released last week? I've spent the last few days reliving my childhood by playing Mario Kart and Street Fighter. :yahoo:
DanH

Postby boff180 on Wed 04 Oct 2017, 7:16 pm

Nope but I am on the Star Wars Battlefront II bets which started today :-D
boff180
UKAR Staff

Postby DanH on Wed 04 Oct 2017, 7:24 pm

boff180 wrote:Nope but I am on the Star Wars Battlefront II bets which started today :-D

Any good?
DanH

Postby boff180 on Wed 04 Oct 2017, 8:34 pm

Yeah it's good fun running around as a droid warrier :lol:

The system has been completed revamped.... you no longer have to run over a "power up" to become a hero or get equipment it's all down to your score in game, the more you play as a team the more points you get to use on vehicles and hero's.

It's good fun!
boff180
UKAR Staff

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Mon 09 Oct 2017, 7:00 pm

Enjoying the Star Wars beta very much actually - didn't like the original when I tried it, and sold my bundled copy.

GT Sport demo is also online for the next 4 days. Online lobbies, competitive sport mode, arcade, driving tests, livery editor and photo mode all accessible. The photos are stunning. I had access to the extended closed beta test, and whilst enjoyable, it was very limited in terms of modes. This is much better.
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Fri 13 Oct 2017, 1:01 pm

GT Sport is awesome. :worship:

Gran Turismo Sport by Dan B, on Flickr

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Fri 13 Oct 2017, 4:47 pm

I agree that GT Sport is magnificent, and I rarely bother with driving games. Lapping a perfectly-rendered Interlagos in a 911 at sunset is enormous fun.
Dan O'Hagan

Postby Tommy on Sat 14 Oct 2017, 5:53 pm

LN Strike Eagle wrote:

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby Wissam24 on Sat 14 Oct 2017, 8:51 pm

Dan what's your PSN username? I've got GT Sport too, could race

It's stunning!
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Postby cg_341 on Sun 15 Oct 2017, 9:29 am

It's no Project CARS 2, or Assetto Corsa, though...

*Generic console peasant comment* :grin:
cg_341

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Sun 15 Oct 2017, 10:11 am

cg_341 wrote:It's no Project CARS 2, or Assetto Corsa, though...

*Generic console peasant comment* :grin:

They are buggy ports on the console. I want something that I can play and compete with on a DS4, without having to spend on a wheel, which is why I've been waiting for GTS.

I won ranked races on both the closed beta and the demo, so on that basis it does exactly what I want from a racing game on a console. Until now I've been playing GTA online races in the absence of any decent racing game on PS4.

I shall hold off buying it until the price drops - I think it's expensive for the fairly limited launch content. Good news is that all the DLC will be free though, and it should end up with around 400-500 cars.

PSN is StrikeEagle492, but as I say, I don't have GTS yet and will buy when the price comes down.
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Sun 15 Oct 2017, 1:53 pm

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
I won ranked races on both the closed beta and the demo...

As well as being comprehensively schooled in the numerous races against me... :whistle: :win:
Dan O'Hagan

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic