Top Gun 2 - Its Happening

Re: Top Gun 2 - Its Happening

Postby Ryan. on Fri 01 Jun 2018, 12:20 pm

Paul_Reflex wrote:
verreli wrote:
starbuck wrote:There was tone in the original one? :whistle:

All movies have a tone of one description or another. In the case of Top Gun it was a stylised rock and roll aerial gladiator. From the saturated look of the film to the high tempo soundtrack and charisma of Tom Cruise, it portrayed a fantasy in much the same way that the Bond movies do. It certainly influenced my arc in life and I hear many US Navy recruits owe their career to the film too. The reality of being a US Navy fighter pilot is not what is portrayed in the film.

Except for the homoerotic volleyball, that's 100% real.

Be very sad if that weren't true. :grin:
Ryan.

Postby verreli on Fri 01 Jun 2018, 12:42 pm

Paul_Reflex wrote:Except for the homoerotic volleyball, that's 100% real.

Despite the amusing Tarantino parody that's not how I saw the film, but if it's 100% real for you, who am I to argue?
verreli

Postby starbuck on Fri 08 Jun 2018, 8:12 am

"You never leave your wingman" (I know, I know...)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-44395851
starbuck

Postby G67 on Fri 08 Jun 2018, 3:51 pm

What annoyed me about Top Gun was that it inverted the whole point of the course and made it into an individual contest.

There is no Top Gun Trophy for the 'winning' pilot. There is no 'best of the best' slogan because the point of the school is to make EVERYONE better!
G67

Postby Airwolfhound on Fri 08 Jun 2018, 5:24 pm

I see that Iceman is back, probably as Maverick's wife :grin:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)
Airwolfhound

Postby psquiddy on Fri 08 Jun 2018, 9:31 pm

What annoyed me about Top Gun was that it inverted the whole point of the course and made it into an individual contest.

What annoyed me about Top Gun was that it was a terrible film. (But it did have some good flying sequences - did not make it a good film though)
Over 300 free things to do in London
http://www.toplondondaysout.co.uk
psquiddy

Postby Ewart on Sat 09 Jun 2018, 4:27 pm

G67 wrote:What annoyed me about Top Gun was that it inverted the whole point of the course and made it into an individual contest.

There is no Top Gun Trophy for the 'winning' pilot. There is no 'best of the best' slogan because the point of the school is to make EVERYONE better!

Did it invert it in a 4g dive with a MiG-28?

And there must be a best pilot because when I was wondering who the best is Viper told me 'They're up here on this plaque on the wall. The best driver and his RIO from each class has his name on it, and they have the option to come back here to be Top Gun instructors
Ewart

Postby starbuck on Thu 13 Sep 2018, 3:55 pm

Going by the silhouettes under the canopy it looks like he has successfully shot down 3 F-18's. Got to admit that's pretty maverick behaviour even for the USN.
starbuck

Postby Victor 23 on Thu 13 Sep 2018, 9:30 pm

If they are making a Top Gun 2, what about the remake of the Dambusters, seems to have gone all quiet on that front. Maybe for the best!!
Victor 23

Postby CJS on Fri 14 Sep 2018, 5:37 am

starbuck wrote:Going by the silhouettes under the canopy it looks like he has successfully shot down 3 F-18's. Got to admit that's pretty maverick behaviour even for the USN.

They were probably Canadian ones :-o
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?
CJS

Postby Georgeconna on Fri 14 Sep 2018, 8:59 am

Giving the Ghostbusters change about , Is Pete now a Woman? :lol:
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.
Georgeconna

Postby aviodromefriend on Sat 15 Sep 2018, 9:33 am

Tommy wrote:Perhaps that's why, so filming doesn't get in the way of operations as much as it would somewhere else.
According to one of the RIOs that did the real flying in the first one, it took only six flights to film everything, so not too much interference with operations.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program
aviodromefriend

Postby toom317 on Sat 15 Sep 2018, 11:14 am

The plot involves a transatlantic trip, Northern route, when hopefully Mav will get on the radio and say the immortal words, "Talk to me CYQX". :heyhey:
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.
toom317
UKAR Supporter

Postby Victor 23 on Sat 15 Sep 2018, 3:31 pm

Could have F-35's in it!!
Victor 23

Postby Tmyers123 on Sat 15 Sep 2018, 4:12 pm

Victor 23 wrote:Could have F-35's in it!!

There are rumours that the video of an F-35C “buzzing the tower” at sunset that is doing the rounds on the internet is something to do with Top Gun 2.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnXTce7Hrbg ... pqyzfabegn
Tmyers123

Previous

Return to Off Topic