F1 2017

Re: F1 2017

Postby speedbird2639 on Fri 03 Nov 2017, 10:15 pm

Lets have the fastest noisiest v8s on decent tracks.

The introduction of the hybrid engines was driven by the sponsors who were in turn driven by their customers. The feedback was that 'the ordinary man in the street' couldn't relate to the F1 technology of thorough bred race engines like the V10s and wanted something where the development in F1 could have a trickle down effect to road vehicle hence hybrid energy recovery under braking.

Rebuild the old forest section of Hockenheim

Won't/ can't happen - 'won't because it was unpopular with the fans at the circuit as they only saw the cars for a short while in the stadium part of the circuit and the longer lap meant they saw the cars less often - was starting to hurt ticket sales at Hock'. 'Can't' because the terms of the planning approval for the new circuit was that the old circuit was dug up entirely and returned to forest.

40-50 odd circuits visited over a 2-3 year cycle

Not sure this would work - I think the finances of F1 circuits is such that it only really works if they hold the race every year as the amount of investment in track maintenance such as fences etc needs a regular income. (I know Germany and the UK used to alternate but I think it was the finances that killed it in both cases)
speedbird2639

Postby Brevet Cable on Sat 04 Nov 2017, 1:05 am

It was finances that killed it, just not in the way you possibly mean.
It was the law of diminishing returns caused by Bernie's divisive escalating charges he made to the older circuits ( and those he didn't like for various reasons ) which drove them away.
There's only so much the circuits could charge the fans before they stopped coming.
I read somewhere that this year's Indy 500 had something like 250,000+ spectators at the track this year......any F1 circuit owner would probably sell his soul and his granny to get those sort of attendance figures.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby borismorris on Sat 04 Nov 2017, 10:01 am

...and therein lies the proof it could be done. Yes, I know that the Hockenheimring has been consigned to history but in terms of length I don't think that was the issue.. They could have got spectators in grandstands in the forest sections. If the price was reasonable fans would still come. Look at the crowds WRC get and those cars only come through any given section once.

So many memorable moments at that old circuit none more so than Rubens first win. But losing the track was also almost an insult to the memory of Jim Clark. who, as we all know lost his life in the trees there.
borismorris

Postby helired3 on Sat 04 Nov 2017, 12:08 pm

Second time around. Felipe Massa will retire at the end of this season.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/41870426
Ian Harris https://www.flickr.com/photos/133062485@N05/

Nikon D750
Nikon D7200
Sigma 500 F4.5
Tamron 150-600 G2
helired3

Postby Brevet Cable on Sat 04 Nov 2017, 4:12 pm

Not really unexpected, especially as Williams have been putting forward various names to replace him.

Be an interesting one if they opt for Kvyat.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby helired3 on Sat 04 Nov 2017, 5:02 pm

I would prefer Pascal Wehrlein got a chance rather than Kvyat. justsaying
Ian Harris https://www.flickr.com/photos/133062485@N05/

Nikon D750
Nikon D7200
Sigma 500 F4.5
Tamron 150-600 G2
helired3

Postby speedbird2639 on Sat 04 Nov 2017, 6:02 pm

I suspect they will go for whoever brings the most money to the team - they do love the 'green' at Williams.
speedbird2639

Postby pbeardmore on Tue 07 Nov 2017, 10:21 am

Thoughts on Hamilton and tax anyone?
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”
pbeardmore

Postby speedbird2639 on Tue 07 Nov 2017, 10:56 am

pbeardmore wrote:Thoughts on Hamilton and tax anyone?

He's not doing anything that anyone else who earns a bit more that the average wage does. I would estimate that most people earning over £100K are all doing similar things just on a smaller scale. And anyone who isn't is effectively just a fool giving 'free money' to the Government. Just look at how many footballers and tv presenters have their salaries paid by some convoluted route to ensure the amount of tax due is minimised. The people who moan about it are just the people consumed by jealousy that they didn't have a talent that someone was prepared to pay them sufficiently well for and therefore tax avoidance was never an issue for them.

I used to work for a business where the Chairman used to very loudly and frequently announce he chose to not receive a salary from the Company, trying to give the impression he has 'in the trenches with the 'grunts' who did the work'. The real reason was he received a dividend from all the shares he owned in the business which was taxed at a fraction what a salary would be taxed at.

His claim to have 'gone vegan to save the planet' does seem a bit at odds with flying round the World in a £26m jet with just him and his dogs on board though.

I really don't get the 'hate' that LH seems to attract. He might 'march to the sound of his own drum' but he's got enough money that he doesn't have to worry about what people think of him.
speedbird2639

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 07 Nov 2017, 11:49 am

:up:
If what he did was legal ( as opposed to ethical ) good luck to him.
It's down to the Government to tighten financial regulations to prevent this, which is something they've threatened to do over the years but have not yet done so.....probably because too many of them - and their political donors - would be affected.
It should also be remembered that one of the plans mooted for post-BREXIT is to turn the UK into a tax haven.

There's been a nice little fiddle which Joe public can do, which has been in existence for many years, namely to register themselves as a 'PLC' for tax purposes.
By doing so, originally it meant they could use the facilities of the various 'cash & carry' type warehouses and either not pay VAT or claim it back later....this progressed on to purchasing/leasing vehicles for 'company use' which meant that they'd often get preferential discounts on top of being able to claim the VAT back.
All Hamilton & others are doing is a glorified version of this.
Not forgetting the system where you can claim back tax & NI if you spent so many days a month/year working overseas, plus the ex-pat/non-dom system.

Plus the scam...err, I mean scheme :whistle: .... highlighted again on Radio 4's 'Moneybox' last week, where employers are classing employers as 'self-employed' in order to avoid paying some taxes & paying reduced rates on others.

speedbird2639 wrote:....The real reason was he received a dividend from all the shares he owned in the business which was taxed at a fraction what a salary would be taxed at.

And the other scam of having their wages paid into their pension scheme for the same reason.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Vodka on Tue 07 Nov 2017, 12:59 pm

He was dodging tax the day he moved to Switzerland and then to Monaco. Then having the guile to say it was for privacy reasons.

I suspect the newly crowned 4th time world champion may not be SPOTY this year but that isnt a tax incentive neither.

Only thing he is guilty of is utter stupidity. Claiming the jet was entirely business use and posting 'look at me' holiday snaps throughout the year proving otherwise his 'entirly business use' wasnt in fact. .'entirely business use'

I've no doubt his team of tax advisors would have clearly stated to him "do not do this/that" but he simply could not help himself. Even Eddie Irvine wasnt that stupid :whistle:

Of course he isnt the only one but once the cards start falling. . . .
Vodka

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 07 Nov 2017, 2:10 pm

Vodka wrote:He was dodging tax the day he moved to Switzerland and then to Monaco. Then having the guile to say it was for privacy reasons.

He's not the only one, though....Jackie Stewart, Nigel Mansel & Jensen Button all did so.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 08 Nov 2017, 12:11 pm

Caught something on BBC News24 early this morning saying that Hamilton'll be making a statement on the 'Paradise Papers' revelations today....nowt on the BBC or their website, so don't know if he's done so yet.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby vulcanshammer on Wed 08 Nov 2017, 1:28 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:Caught something on BBC News24 early this morning saying that Hamilton'll be making a statement on the 'Paradise Papers' revelations today....nowt on the BBC or their website, so don't know if he's done so yet.

All this is going to be rather damaging to his dreams of a knighthood. If he does make a statement I'll be very interested in what he has to say!
The sooner the world runs out of cotton wool the better
vulcanshammer

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 08 Nov 2017, 3:22 pm

Maybe the BBC got it wrong, or he's had second thoughts, or he's still waiting for his legal beagles to write it for him.
If he does make a statement, will he be crass enough to try to defend it, or will he try a "Some big boys did it then ran away" approach ( AKA blaming his financial advisors ) ?
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby speedbird2639 on Wed 08 Nov 2017, 5:20 pm

AKA blaming his financial advisors

Well I think we all understand that he wouldn't have come up with the idea himself. Remember this is the bloke who tweeted a screen shot of the technical graphs from one of the test/ practice sessions until the team manager made him delete it.
speedbird2639

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Wed 08 Nov 2017, 5:44 pm

Qualifying session. Spa 2012.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Postby pbeardmore on Wed 08 Nov 2017, 5:56 pm

I know other drivers have done the same but someone made the point today that, given all that the NHS has done for his brother, you may think he would have some form of emotional connection to the NHS and perhaps consider the ramifications of diverted tax revenue.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”
pbeardmore

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 09 Nov 2017, 9:02 am

So it looks like Hamilton's 'statement' was a non-statement, then.
From the BBC website :
He said he had nothing specific to add to the statement - put out by his management company when the arrangements over his private jet came to light - which said his tax affairs were conducted by advisers and that he had been assured everything was "above board".
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Sat 11 Nov 2017, 1:19 pm

Another Brazilian GP weekend, another occurrance of one of the teams' staff being robbed at gunpoint.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby speedbird2639 on Sat 11 Nov 2017, 2:21 pm

Its getting to the stage that the personnel will have to arrive and depart in large helicopters and the kit be taken in and out by unbranded trucks.

Great circuit which often produces a great race but a shambles of a country.
speedbird2639

Postby Brevet Cable on Sat 11 Nov 2017, 2:48 pm

That's 2 years running for Mercedes team members, isn't it ?
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Pringles on Sat 11 Nov 2017, 4:06 pm

Ladies and gentlemen, your new World Champion... :hide:
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic
Pringles

Postby Brevet Cable on Sat 11 Nov 2017, 4:49 pm

Meanwhile, Toro Rosso and Renault ( the manufacturer ) are indulging in a serious bout of handbagging concerning their engines.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Ledhead27 on Sat 11 Nov 2017, 6:43 pm

Bit of a damp squib for Hamilton and Mercedes, both on and off the track. But kudos to Alonso, P7 on a track that should work well for the car (if the engine lasts).
"FuelMan, SpamCan, NoPlan, CivviMan, DroneMan Dan"

UKAR Party Plane Captain

4 out of 5 baguettes
Ledhead27
UKAR Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic