F1 2017

Re: F1 2017

Postby Brevet Cable on Sun 12 Nov 2017, 5:16 pm

Dear BBC Radio 5....can you station someone with a baseball bat behind Jack Nicholls with instructions to smack him as hard as possible across the head every time he repeats what you've clearly just heard on the radio comms ! :facepalm:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby borismorris on Mon 13 Nov 2017, 6:59 am

I'm not sure how much more Channel 4 coverage I can take either. Nauseating.
borismorris

Postby Brevet Cable on Mon 13 Nov 2017, 3:26 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/41964197

Can't fault what Hamilton's saying there.
Limiting drivers to 3 engines per season ? What idiot thinks that's good for the future of F1 ! :facepalm:
It's already farcical now with the ridiculous grid penalties being awarded.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Marathon Milkshake on Mon 13 Nov 2017, 3:33 pm

F1 is a farce, completely and utterly enjoyable when they are racing, but dull in the extreme when they are managing things. Thats not how it should be, who ever comes up with this crap firmly has their head up where the crap comes out!
Marathon Milkshake

Postby morningrise on Mon 13 Nov 2017, 5:15 pm

turning into a real Vettel vs. Hamilton show.

I mean, is there seriously anyone else who can compete with these guys? I don't see it in the next 3-4 years.
morningrise

Postby Brevet Cable on Mon 13 Nov 2017, 5:29 pm

More down to the cars - or more precisely, engines - than drivers.
If RB, TR & McLaren - and Renault to a lesser extent - get decent engines, there'll be more drivers challenging Hamilton & Vettel more often.

And the shambolic situation in Brazil continued over the weekend, I see...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/41973137
On Sunday, a Pirelli van was the target of "a robbery attempt" which its security team "neutralised", F1's tyre supplier said.
(snip)
Staff from Sauber were also targeted as they left the circuit on Saturday, while earlier in the week a car containing FIA officials was approached by masked gunmen.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby McG on Mon 13 Nov 2017, 7:53 pm

Here’s some ideas I’ve had to make things more interesting.

1. All teams get 5 engines per driver. Bottom 5 teams from previous season get 6.
2. Top 5 teams restricted to 2 tyres compounds per race. Bottom teams get 3 tyre compound choices - one of which must be a quicker compound than those of the top 5 teams.
3. Drivers can start race on any compound of tyre that is available to them during the race. None of this use the set you set fastest time in quali 2 for the top 10 drivers. This would make pitstop strategy more interesting if you had say Lewis and Seb on different strategies.
McG

Postby Mario on Tue 21 Nov 2017, 2:35 am

Here's a thought, how about engine/gearbox penalties on constructors' championship points, rather than grid positions? Perhaps this would focus the teams on getting reliability (which was one of the aims of the current system). Would certainly focus Ferrari if Seb were to win a race but Ferrari were penalised 20 points in the constructors' championship for a gearbox change.....
OK. What do we know, apart from what you've found out on Google?
- Harry Pearce
Mario

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 21 Nov 2017, 2:38 pm

The penalty system is flawed in another way, in as much that it penalises drivers - or teams, if they change it - for failures which they aren't responsible for.
After all, is it really fair to penalise them for what is obviously the fault of the engine/drivetrain supplier ?
By all means penalise them if the engine/drivetrain fails part-way through a race or if it's already completed one or more races, but when the failure occurs on the first lap of First Practice ( or before the car's even left the Pit Lane ) then some form of punishment should be given to the engine/drivetrain manufacturer for supplying faulty items....given the cost of the engines/drivetrain, making them supply a free replacement - or an equivalent fine if it's a works team ( Mercedes, Renault, Ferrari ) - may make them sort their act out.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Sat 25 Nov 2017, 12:27 pm

borismorris wrote:I'm not sure how much more Channel 4 coverage I can take either. Nauseating.

Watching it this week.
The practice sessions were fine, but less than half hour into the Quali and I'm hoping someone runs over the infantile & pathetic Steve Jones ( who should have stuck to the garbage he fronted previously ) and the pointless Susie Wolff.
Why can't they just stick to Lee McKenzie, Karun Chandhok & Mark Webber.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby borismorris on Sat 25 Nov 2017, 12:56 pm

The presenters have become a bigger turn off for me than the racing. I get that they are being patriotic etc. But the almost constant Hamilton deifying is embarassing. I will wait a day or two and catch up online where i can watch all the f1, f2 etc for free with a decent commentary team.
borismorris

Postby speedbird2639 on Sat 25 Nov 2017, 1:08 pm

The 'build up' nonsense is why I record it and then spin forward until the quali countdown clock appears in the top left corner and then hit play - get to see the quali with none of the whittering.

It would be interesting to see what the audience for the build up/ post race show is vs the main quali segment/ race. I know the BBC a couple of World Cups back cut their build from a hour to a few minutes as stats showed viewers tuning in at 19.44 for a 19.45 KO then going out of the room for the 15 minutes at half time to make a drink/ snack and then turning off as soon as the ref blew the final whistle, making all of the build up/ post show analysis irrelevant to most viewers. I suspect its much the same with F1 - I spin the recording on until the last car is coming out of the last corner on the forming up lap and then hit play. But I presume they are trying to compete with Sky and the wall to wall coverage they have with their dedicated F1 channel.
speedbird2639

Postby Brevet Cable on Sat 25 Nov 2017, 1:24 pm

My own fault, I suppose.
I forgot to look at what time the coverage began on Radio 5, because they don't tend to have much of a build-up before Quali ( although they often make up for it by waffling on about various garbage as opposed to commentating on what's happening on track )
The build-up wouldn't be so bad if they had decent presenters, but the sycophantic bunch of bores who do the Quali & Race sessions are anything but decent ( in comparison to McKenzie & Chandhok, who are wasted just fronting the Practice sessions )
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Havoc on Sun 26 Nov 2017, 4:09 pm

Snap poll...
Do we like the new F1 logo?
Havoc

Postby Brevet Cable on Sun 26 Nov 2017, 4:22 pm

This'un ?

Errr....No !

The old one was naff enough, but this is infinitely more naff.
It looks like something some chav boy-racer would stick on his Saxo/Corsa.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby speedbird2639 on Sun 26 Nov 2017, 4:30 pm

That's wat we'll get now the chavvy tasteless 'Muricans are running the show - quite restrained by their standards - would've expected it to have a Las Vegas 'hostess' draped provocatively over it or something.
speedbird2639

Postby Brevet Cable on Sun 26 Nov 2017, 4:38 pm

As for today's race.....some interesting battles in parts, and well done to Bottas - made the most of actually being allowed to race ( although I see elsewhere that the sycophants are claiming he only won because Hamilton let him :whistle: )
Wonder if anyone will have a word with Hamilton for slagging off both the circuit & the rules in the driver's room post-race ( even though what he said was accurate ) ?
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Sun 26 Nov 2017, 4:42 pm

speedbird2639 wrote:That's wat we'll get now the chavvy tasteless 'Muricans are running the show - quite restrained by their standards - would've expected it to have a Las Vegas 'hostess' draped provocatively over it or something.

Given that today they were apparently trialling different microphones fitted to the cars in an attempt to make them sound louder, you wonder what they'll think of next.....maybe they'll ressurect some of Bernie's daftest ideas.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby rdchawk on Mon 27 Nov 2017, 7:38 am

Caught the important part of the race, the nice flypast at the start with Al Fursan and airliner. With barely any breeze the smoke patterns looked great.
Known as Red 13,
Proud member of the Silverstone Marshalling Team
rdchawk

Postby starbuck on Mon 27 Nov 2017, 9:18 am

Anybody else see the climax of the Australian V8's Supercup over the weekend? I can normally take it or leave it with this series as I'm not a fan of streetraces which they seem to do quite a lot of but the final race was fantastic. Incredibly close, exciting & unpredictable racing, basically everything that F1 is not.

Well worth seeking out
starbuck

Postby Brevet Cable on Mon 27 Nov 2017, 10:17 am

rdchawk wrote:Caught the important part of the race, the nice flypast at the start with Al Fursan and airliner. With barely any breeze the smoke patterns looked great.

Presume you were watching it on Sky?
Ch4 cut to an ad-break about halfway through it. :roll:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby rdchawk on Mon 27 Nov 2017, 11:23 am

Yep caught it on sky -Was great, no bog standard flying in formation either.
Known as Red 13,
rdchawk

Postby Brevet Cable on Mon 27 Nov 2017, 11:40 am

C4 showed it up until just after the Al F's caught up with the airliner, so they missed most of it.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby rdchawk on Mon 27 Nov 2017, 12:56 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:C4 showed it up until just after the Al F's caught up with the airliner, so they missed most of it.

Blimey missed pretty much all of it then, AL F's solo's doing corkscrew round main formation whilst flying down circuit.
Known as Red 13,
rdchawk

Postby borismorris on Mon 27 Nov 2017, 6:42 pm

New logo bleugh..

Hammys comments..spot on..

Driver of the day- I thought Romain Grosjean- he was the only geezer who I remembered overtaking anyone.

I was thinking during the race, theres a number of alternative chicanes and corner layouts already marked so why not try something...
As Arnold Rimmer once said "better dead than smeg".
The Abu Dhabi circuit in its current format is about as poor a finale as you could imagine.
Bernies sprinklers anyone?
borismorris

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic