President Trump

Re: President Trump

Postby pbeardmore on Thu 16 Feb 2017, 12:02 pm

I think once momentum builds up within the various power networks and gov depts, nothing will be able to save him,

he clearly has no people skills regarding trying to keep people on his side and if the security services are against you plus the judicial system and many within your own party plus the media etc etc, it really will be just a matter of time. The first few weeks have clearly shown he is way out of his depth regarding the most basic presidential functions, his grammer is so limited that he cant speak effectively off the hoof, his press presentation re Israel was cringe worthy,

effectively, there will be some kind of quiet coup but the interesting thing is that he wont go quietly unless they have some form of massive leverage,
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”
pbeardmore

Postby CJS on Thu 16 Feb 2017, 10:00 pm

I imagine anyone with any kind of influence who can is searching frantically for that massive leverage as we speak. So very clear that he does not have a clue what he's doing politically, which isn't even (necessarily) a criticism, it's just plainly obvious he wouldn't have - something millions of Americans chose to ignore!

Anyone else see the idiot's press conference today? He's getting madder by the minute I think. Even his most crazed supporters must be rockin on their porches wondering why they didn't vote for the other guy.

Still, this is quite funny... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gneBUA39mnI
"Forewarned is forearmed"
CJS

Postby Brevet Cable on Fri 17 Feb 2017, 2:52 am

Going by that, how long before Trump memes become the new 'Hitler reacts' meme ?
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Fri 17 Feb 2017, 3:06 am

CJS wrote:Anyone else see the idiot's press conference today? He's getting madder by the minute I think.

Well there was some sensible stuff hidden in amongst the brain-dribble, it just got overshadowed by the Q&A session at the end of it.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby john001 on Fri 17 Feb 2017, 9:17 am

It's going to be what he achieves that counts not how he speaks or presents.

It is interesting to see the criticism he gets for the way he speaks when it is actually more like how many of his voters speak. There is no PR spin (of course there is Trump spin but that's not the same), bland statements saying nothing, PC statements etc which have turned many people off politics but simple basic and maybe uneducated language which is rather more like real people.

I find it quite refreshing but that's not to say I agree with all of it.
john001

Postby iainpeden on Fri 17 Feb 2017, 9:27 am

There is a horrible irony in that he appears to be getting all his information from cable TV and other media outlets, rather than his untrusted intellegence agencies, but is constantly attacking that media for producing false or biased news. (Comment based on his quoting of specific programmes and their commentators and Jon Sopel, the BBC correspondent, asking how he can seem to be spending so much time watching cable TV when he should be governing.)
iainpeden

Postby pbeardmore on Fri 17 Feb 2017, 11:19 am

john001 wrote:It's going to be what he achieves that counts not how he speaks or presents.

It is interesting to see the criticism he gets for the way he speaks when it is actually more like how many of his voters speak. There is no PR spin (of course there is Trump spin but that's not the same), bland statements saying nothing, PC statements etc which have turned many people off politics but simple basic and maybe uneducated language which is rather more like real people.

I agree that he does speak like many voters speak but thats not a good thing? Look back to some of the great JFK speeches, I dont think he was criticised for not speaking like some voters. People have every right to vote for a right wing, protectionist agenda but there is little point in having those policies if you have a child trying to implement them. Literally, my 14 year old son at debating class has a better grasp of language and grammer. This combined with his obvious thin skinn, temper, insecurity, lack of experience, bullying etc makes him completely unsuitable. I would not want him as my local councillor. Anyone on any side within the American power systems can see he is drowning and doing it publicly. I am pretty confident that they will collectively find some way of getting rid of him.

“You know what uranium is, right? This thing called nuclear weapons, like lots of things are done with uranium, including some bad things.”
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”
pbeardmore

Postby AlexC on Fri 17 Feb 2017, 12:02 pm

pbeardmore wrote:“You know what uranium is, right? This thing called nuclear weapons, like lots of things are done with uranium, including some bad things.”

The leader of the free world. Oh my giddy aunt! :roll:
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Fri 17 Feb 2017, 12:11 pm

This is what comes of the slow-witted and feeble-minded being futher dumbed down by the media. Give them a monkey in a shiny suit who panders to their most base instincts and they will vote for it.

Just wait and see it happen again in Stoke next week...
Dan O'Hagan

Postby AlexC on Fri 17 Feb 2017, 12:17 pm

Dan O'Hagan wrote:Just wait and see it happen again in Stoke next week...

Labour or Ukip. Not much of a choice.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Postby iainpeden on Fri 17 Feb 2017, 12:39 pm

Dan O'Hagan wrote:This is what comes of the slow-witted and feeble-minded being futher dumbed down by the media. Give them a monkey in a shiny suit who panders to their most base instincts and they will vote for it.

Dan, it's called democracy; which to paraphrase Churchill is not a perfect system but is the best one we have.
iainpeden

Postby pbeardmore on Fri 17 Feb 2017, 1:02 pm

There is an interesting debate to be had concering the dumbing down of society and democracy. Is there a point at which democracy becomes a liability due to the inability of the electorate to vote for someone who has a safe pair of hands? Could Trump have been elected 30 or 40 years ago? Is his success partly down to a dumbing down? And, if so, is the USA prepared to do anything about it?
pbeardmore

Postby john001 on Fri 17 Feb 2017, 1:15 pm

pbeardmore wrote:
john001 wrote:It's going to be what he achieves that counts not how he speaks or presents.

I agree that he does speak like many voters speak but thats not a good thing?

“You know what uranium is, right? This thing called nuclear weapons, like lots of things are done with uranium, including some bad things.”

Well in his case it is a good thing as it made him President. I would have a guess that most people know no more about nuclear weapons than what he said above. What several people here fail to get a grasp is how uneducated much of the population is, how dumbed down much of society has become and that's not just the USA. Politicians everywhere are failing to grasp that people speaking and thinking like Trump represent a large and growing proportion of society.
john001

Postby AlexC on Fri 17 Feb 2017, 1:15 pm

pbeardmore wrote:Is his success partly down to a dumbing down? And, if so, is the USA prepared to do anything about it?

Hard to say. Don't think it's incorrect to say that there's never been a President like The Donald before, at least not in living memory, and probably way before living memory.
AlexC

Postby john001 on Fri 17 Feb 2017, 1:29 pm

iainpeden wrote:
Dan O'Hagan wrote:This is what comes of the slow-witted and feeble-minded being futher dumbed down by the media. Give them a monkey in a shiny suit who panders to their most base instincts and they will vote for it.

Dan, it's called democracy; which to paraphrase Churchill is not a perfect system but is the best one we have.

Hmm I find what America calls democracy increasingly hard to stomach. The electoral college allows a President who does not have the popular vote and then the President's use of executive orders that virtually turn him into a dictator. While the US state department says the United States seeks to:

Promote democracy as a means to achieve security, stability, and prosperity for the entire world;
Assist newly formed democracies in implementing democratic principles;
Assist democracy advocates around the world to establish vibrant democracies in their own countries; and
Identify and denounce regimes that deny their citizens the right to choose their leaders in elections that are free, fair, and transparent.

For me it is not too difficult to see why many people in many countries are not to keen on being pushed towards US democracy and react the way they do.
john001

Postby pbeardmore on Fri 17 Feb 2017, 1:46 pm

Its easy to pick holes at the USA version of democracy but how many votes did T May get when being made PM? no system is perfect but the hub of the debate is whether , at some point, the people become too stupid to deserve the vote?
pbeardmore

Postby john001 on Fri 17 Feb 2017, 3:10 pm

pbeardmore wrote:Its easy to pick holes at the USA version of democracy but how many votes did T May get when being made PM? no system is perfect but the hub of the debate is whether , at some point, the people become too stupid to deserve the vote?

As you say no system is perfect and the US and UK are different systems. I would perhaps hazard another guess that if we did vote for a person to lead the country May would be ahead of Corbyn. As for too stupid... the people 'are the vote' stupid or not they are only likely not to be deserving if you disagree with them.
john001

Postby pbeardmore on Fri 17 Feb 2017, 4:54 pm

Its an interesting moral dilema re what kind of moron do you let run the country before you step in. Just because they are elected into place by millions of other morons is of little confort. I am not saying this is the case re Trump but things could get worse. Do you continue supporting democracy no matter what the ramifications?
pbeardmore

Postby iainpeden on Fri 17 Feb 2017, 5:13 pm

The strength of American democracy will be measured by its ability to limit the damage that Trump appears bent on doing. He appears to think he is in the same position of an absolute monarch and it will be up to his own party to stand up to him.
iainpeden

Postby Russ on Fri 17 Feb 2017, 10:09 pm

Wow! Just wow. :shock:

Case dismissed.

:wall: :claypole: :clown:
Russ

Postby Tommy on Fri 17 Feb 2017, 10:11 pm

Heh.

"Leader of the free world"
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby TKK 140 on Fri 17 Feb 2017, 10:11 pm

Has to be the most bizarre Presidential press conference ever.
TKK 140

Postby Russ on Fri 17 Feb 2017, 10:42 pm

Tommy wrote:"Leader of the free world"

Terrifying isn't it. :hide:
Russ

Postby john001 on Sat 18 Feb 2017, 8:48 am

Russ wrote:

There are 32 million Americans who are functionally illiterate - basically that means they would not have the ability to write on this forum. What I find terrifying is the inability of the educated over the last 20 years plus to address that. And the US is not alone, the abilities of many in the UK are way below that of other countries yet every year we hear 'record levels of GCSE passes'. Time will tell if it is more important that Trump can create jobs for those 32m people and others or be able to explain uranium.
john001

Postby Tommy on Sat 18 Feb 2017, 10:30 am

john001 wrote:
Russ wrote:

There are 32 million Americans who are functionally illiterate - basically that means they would not have the ability to write on this forum. What I find terrifying is the inability of the educated over the last 20 years plus to address that. And the US is not alone, the abilities of many in the UK are way below that of other countries yet every year we hear 'record levels of GCSE passes'. Time will tell if it is more important that Trump can create jobs for those 32m people and others or be able to explain uranium.

That's from a Huffington Post article, right? I remember reading it. Sometime in 2013? If so, this is the survey they took their info from: http://www.statisticbrain.com/number-of ... cant-read/

That study also stated that the breakdown in illiteracy was that 41% of the Hispanic population, and 24% of the black population could not read below a basic level (though it doesn't state what proportion of the 32 million are formed of those of Hispanic or black ethnicity). Given Trump's "build a wall" rhetoric, and calling Hispanics rapists, and doing nothing of note that would indicate he wishes to help the black community (didn't he denounce the Black Lives Matter movement? And wasn't he also formally endorsed by the KKK, which he failed to condemn when it was put to him?), then no, I don't think Trump will properly address that.

They're two different issues. It's not unreasonable to hope that POTUS addresses both illiteracy rates, and doesn't make a complete clown of himself when explaining uranium, and there's no suggestion that "failing to explain uranium" has any correlation whatsoever with US illiteracy rates in the first place, so I'm unclear why it was mentioned at all.

But that said, given the awful orator that he is, and the awfulness of the clip Russ produced above; poor education and illiteracy are perhaps of greater concern to the US than was thought.
Tommy
UKAR Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic