President Trump

Re: President Trump

Postby john001 on Sat 18 Feb 2017, 11:44 am

Not originally but it is of course quoted by the Huffington Post.

The point I was making is that to many people who can barely write and have little prospect of a job other than non skilled manual labour whether the president can explain uranium or not is completely irrelevant. Many people are desperate. No jobs no prospects no way to support a family. They will overlook or ignore the 'build a wall,' KKK, not endorsing black lives matter' if there is hope - any hope - of a job.
john001

Postby AlexC on Sat 18 Feb 2017, 11:52 am

iainpeden wrote:Dan, it's called democracy; which to paraphrase Churchill is not a perfect system but is the best one we have.

Perhaps Dan thinks that only well educated people should have the vote, say only those with a university degree in the USA and here, although I should think that many of his 'feeble minded' don't bother to vote anyway, they would rather sit at home drinking and watching 'enders then to drag themselves down to the polling station.
Last edited by AlexC on Sat 18 Feb 2017, 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Postby Tommy on Sat 18 Feb 2017, 11:58 am

john001 wrote:They will overlook or ignore the 'build a wall,' KKK, not endorsing black lives matter' if there is hope - any hope - of a job.

Yeah, they probably will. But that's not what I said. What you missed is that Trump's track-record of rhetoric against Hispanics & blacks, means that he will not likely make any significant efforts to provide them with jobs. And they are the ones that likely make up a decent proportion (though, we don't know) of that 32 million figure.

However, I take your broad point about the 32 million (though the figure is different in other sources, but I'm not a statistician, and I'm enjoying the weekend too much to look at further figures). They don't care whether the president makes a clown of himself to the world so long as they can seen an improvement in their standard of living, which may be what they consider to be very low. I'm not sure I can agree with the flat figure, but I accept what you're trying to say.

But the problem with that is that also forgets the other 90% of the US population who do have literacy levels above a basic level.

And I reiterate - It's not unreasonable to expect a president competent enough to provide jobs and not make a tool of himself at every press conference. If that's no-longer a reasonable assumption anymore, then the world's in a much poorer shape that we think it is.
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby TKK 140 on Sat 18 Feb 2017, 1:07 pm

Trump's not the only one making a fool of himself

Shiny suit too,

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ssion.html
TKK 140

Postby john001 on Sat 18 Feb 2017, 1:52 pm

Tommy wrote:
john001 wrote:They will overlook or ignore the 'build a wall,' KKK, not endorsing black lives matter' if there is hope - any hope - of a job.

Yeah, they probably will. But that's not what I said. What you missed is that Trump's track-record of rhetoric against Hispanics & blacks, means that he will not likely make any significant efforts to provide them with jobs. And they are the ones that likely make up a decent proportion (though, we don't know) of that 32 million figure.

However, I take your broad point about the 32 million (though the figure is different in other sources, but I'm not a statistician, and I'm enjoying the weekend too much to look at further figures). They don't care whether the president makes a clown of himself to the world so long as they can seen an improvement in their standard of living, which may be what they consider to be very low. I'm not sure I can agree with the flat figure, but I accept what you're trying to say.

But the problem with that is that also forgets the other 90% of the US population who do have literacy levels above a basic level.

And I reiterate - It's not unreasonable to expect a president competent enough to provide jobs and not make a tool of himself at every press conference. If that's no-longer a reasonable assumption anymore, then the world's in a much poorer shape that we think it is.

1. Yes the 32m figure may or may not be right as we know there is a stat to prove anything!

2. Perhaps by default almost jobs will be created - if Trump does bring back manufacturing through low company taxes etc etc those employed will most likely be at the lower, the cheapest end or the most desperate may accept the least.

3. Unreasonable or reasonable I am sorry to say I feel the world is in much poorer shape than we think it is. We are fed so much BS by so many it is is difficult to see what is real.
john001

Postby maltwoser on Sat 18 Feb 2017, 9:19 pm

You're right, Quentin Letts is a right twunt......
maltwoser

Postby TKK 140 on Sat 18 Feb 2017, 10:19 pm

maltwoser wrote:

You're right, Quentin Letts is a right twunt......

Nah not him the one who started a war on the basis of WMD's which turned out to be totally inaccurate. T Blair :snack:
TKK 140

Postby AlexC on Sun 19 Feb 2017, 10:33 am

I'd be the last one to speak up for Blair, but does anyone else remember seeing footage of the weapons inspectors turning up at various locations in Iraq to check for WMD and being refused entry by the Iraqi authorities in blatant contravention of the cease fire agreement at the end of Desert Storm? So we could not know if WMD existed or not in Iraq when the second Gulf War started.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Postby TKK 140 on Sun 19 Feb 2017, 11:30 am

and ignored Hans Blix's reports all on the record, then decided with G dubler Bush to go to war.
As predicted the war was a disaster and has destabilised pretty much the whole middle east.
Blair, Mandelson and co are toxic.
TKK 140

Postby Tommy on Sun 19 Feb 2017, 11:42 am

Bringing things back to Trump - back to the fuelling of hatred and division; he made up a terrorism attack in Sweden yesterday. No such incident took place.

I feel like all it's going to take is one single actual terrorist attack on US soil, or even another mass-shooting by someone who is not a white Christian, and he'll go into full bat-poo crazy mode.

Can you imagine the amount of hysteria he would mismanage if he was in power in 2001?

And, naturally, in doing that, the terrorists will have achieved their objective much more successfully than ever before.
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby TKK 140 on Sun 19 Feb 2017, 12:34 pm

Tommy wrote:Bringing things back to Trump - back to the fuelling of hatred and division; he made up a terrorism attack in Sweden yesterday. No such incident took place.

I feel like all it's going to take is one single actual terrorist attack on US soil, or even another mass-shooting by someone who is not a white Christian, and he'll go into full bat-poo crazy mode.

Can you imagine the amount of hysteria he would mismanage if he was in power in 2001?

And, naturally, in doing that, the terrorists will have achieved their objective much more successfully than ever before.

I remember G. Bush saying that Saddam tried to kill his "Daddy" back then and thought he was nuts, T Blair followed on as his Poodle.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... -Bush.html

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uL6OGwsp9_o

So for me at least there is a comparison, Trump - Bush and Blair. Blair was just so much more manipulative. Let's hope Alasdair Campbell does'nt go to work for Trump!
TKK 140

Postby pbeardmore on Sun 19 Feb 2017, 10:14 pm

Trump is making errors almost every day now. Today he referenced a terrorist attack in Sweden?

One of the dangers is that he makes so many errors that he just get used to it. The media always want something new and the President of the USA saying something stupid or dumb will get pushed back to page 2, page 3 etc unitil it becomes the norm and we are no longer shocked at what a moron he is and this, in itself, assists the dumbing down of wider society as our expectations are lowered.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”
pbeardmore

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Mon 20 Feb 2017, 9:42 am

pbeardmore wrote:we are no longer shocked at what a moron he is

Truth is that "moron" is now the norm, both in the States and on this side of the Atlantic. Years of being spoon-fed dumbed down media, infantilising the news on social media and "news" to the level you see on the Mail's Sidebar Of Shame. It's clearly had an effect. Stupidity is now championed and worn as a badge of honour by large numbers of people, who will gladly vote for populist dog-whistle policies and "media stars" like Trump, or in this country UKIP (who they still see as "Farage" - a charismatic media performer).

If, God forbid, Joey Essex ever ran for political office over here, there's a chance he'd get elected...
Dan O'Hagan

Postby CJS on Mon 20 Feb 2017, 10:47 am

Dan O'Hagan wrote:
pbeardmore wrote:we are no longer shocked at what a moron he is

Truth is that "moron" is now the norm, both in the States and on this side of the Atlantic. Years of being spoon-fed dumbed down media, infantilising the news on social media and "news" to the level you see on the Mail's Sidebar Of Shame. It's clearly had an effect. Stupidity is now championed and worn as a badge of honour by large numbers of people, who will gladly vote for populist dog-whistle policies and "media stars" like Trump, or in this country UKIP (who they still see as "Farage" - a charismatic media performer).

If, God forbid, Joey Essex ever ran for political office over here, there's a chance he'd get elected...

He'd probably have more of a clue about what to do. :joystick:
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?
CJS

Postby Ewart on Mon 20 Feb 2017, 12:51 pm

pbeardmore wrote:Trump is making errors almost every day now. Today he referenced a terrorist attack in Sweden?

Just to play devils advocate, he doesn't reference a terrorist attack he just states look at what happened in Sweeden. A very ambiguous statement at least especially when thrown in a speech that previously referred to terrorism.

From a news report this morning it is suspected that he was referring to a CNN report from the other day where that looked at crime related to refugees.
Ewart

Postby pbeardmore on Mon 20 Feb 2017, 1:33 pm

“You look at what’s happening in Germany. You look at what’s happening last night in Sweden"

Nothing happened in Sweden "last night", zilch, his PR team are trying to paper the cracks...agan.

PS horrible mixing of present and past tense, just horrible. How can something be happening last night???

PPS I watched a repeat of "Shoot to Kill, The Hunt for Bin Laden" over the weekend and it strikes you what a thoughtful person Obama was/is and what a good communicator he is. One of the jobs of former Presidents is to record history and pass on their knowledge and expereinces to the next generation. Anoyone watching the doc should consider how it would look if you took out the Obama interviews and replaced them with Trump.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”
pbeardmore

Postby ericbee123 on Mon 20 Feb 2017, 2:32 pm

Now I know the BBC like to play "isn't Trump an idiot" card, but their reporting of this, which has now changed to just showing Sweden making fun of Trump, had a 'plausible' excuse this morning -- it has since been removed.

On Thursday/Friday depending on which timezone you are in, two things occurred.

1. Fox News broadcast a report on Immigration in Sweden and how rape and other crimes have increased -- A 'look at how bad things have got in Sweden' report.

2. ISIS claimed responsibility for a massacre at a shrine in Pakistan in a town called Sehwan.

Now it's not beyond the wit of man to imagine that El Presidente watched a Fox News report about how bad things have got in Sweden and also got briefed about a terrorist attack by ISIS in Sehwan around the same time and thought "I was just watching how bad things have got in Sweden", when told of an atrocity in Sehwan.

Spell-checker wants to change Sehwan to Swansea ! Human ears and brains could turn Sehwan into Sweden quite easily ( especially if you aren't paying attention or rushing into a news conference ).
Disclaimer-I have spell/grammar checked this post, it may still contain mistakes that might cause offence.
ericbee123

Postby CJS on Mon 20 Feb 2017, 2:52 pm

ericbee123 wrote:Now I know the BBC like to play "isn't Trump an idiot" card, but their reporting of this, which has now changed to just showing Sweden making fun of Trump, had a 'plausible' excuse this morning -- it has since been removed.

On Thursday/Friday depending on which timezone you are in, two things occurred.

1. Fox News broadcast a report on Immigration in Sweden and how rape and other crimes have increased -- A 'look at how bad things have got in Sweden' report.

2. ISIS claimed responsibility for a massacre at a shrine in Pakistan in a town called Sehwan.

Now it's not beyond the wit of man to imagine that El Presidente watched a Fox News report about how bad things have got in Sweden and also got briefed about a terrorist attack by ISIS in Sehwan around the same time and thought "I was just watching how bad things have got in Sweden", when told of an atrocity in Sehwan.

Spell-checker wants to change Sehwan to Swansea ! Human ears and brains could turn Sehwan into Sweden quite easily ( especially if you aren't paying attention or rushing into a news conference ).

He's the president of the USA. He shouldn't be rushing in to a news conference and he should be paying attention. And if, which is painfully evident, he cannot do either of these things then someone, surely, should be doing it for him.

As pbeardmore says, it's papering over cracks. Badly.

He's a joke.

It would even be funny if it wasn't so serious.
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?
CJS

Postby boff180 on Mon 20 Feb 2017, 2:54 pm

In a position so important and influential as POTUS that sort of mistake is inexcusable in all honesty.
That sort of misunderstanding can (and this is no over-reaction) in that position cause a serious political incident, even war.

The man is a dangerous idiot, makes Bush Jnr look like a genius!
boff180
UKAR Staff

Postby pbeardmore on Mon 20 Feb 2017, 2:59 pm

"You say Sweden, I say Sehwan. Let's call the whole thing off."

The fact that people are trying to excuse and explain away such errors tends to prove my previous point regarding our "benchmark" for what is acceptable for a President and what is just a mix up that can happen to anyone.
pbeardmore

Postby ericbee123 on Mon 20 Feb 2017, 4:53 pm

pbeardmore wrote:"You say Sweden, I say Sehwan. Let's call the whole thing off."

The fact that people are trying to excuse and explain away such errors tends to prove my previous point regarding our "benchmark" for what is acceptable for a President and what is just a mix up that can happen to anyone.

"My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes" - Pesidemt Romald Reagan

"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully." - President George W Bush.

"When the President does it, that means it’s not illegal.” - President Richard Nixon

"It's like — it was like Special Olympics, or something." - Pesident Barack Obama when asked about his bowls game on the Tonight show.

POTUS is not like The Pope's job, they can be fallible.

Maybe you have been spoilt by years of Obama rehearsals.
Disclaimer-I have spell/grammar checked this post, it may still contain mistakes that might cause offence.
ericbee123

Postby cg_341 on Mon 20 Feb 2017, 5:20 pm

ericbee123 wrote:"My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes" - Pesidemt Romald Reagan

A joke, not broadcast, and done at a point in time (during a soundcheck IIRC) that people knew Regan often made jokes.
ericbee123 wrote:"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully." - President George W Bush.

Hardly the same as saying there was a terrorist attack "yesterday" in Sweden! GW Bush was never a good public speaker, and when he went off-script, he was known to state things in an over-simplified manner.
ericbee123 wrote:"When the President does it, that means it’s not illegal.” - President Richard Nixon

Holy mother of context, Batman. Suggest reading where that line comes from and you'll see it's actually correct.
ericbee123 wrote:"It's like — it was like Special Olympics, or something." - Pesident Barack Obama when asked about his bowls game on the Tonight show.

See my comment about the Bushism above. Arguably this one was somewhat more offensive, but still in a different league to inventing a terrorist attack. An ill-conceived joke if anything.
cg_341

Postby john001 on Mon 20 Feb 2017, 5:44 pm

ericbee123 wrote:
POTUS is not like The Pope's job, they can be fallible.

Some might argue a number of Popes over the years have been somewhat fallible.
john001

Postby ericbee123 on Mon 20 Feb 2017, 11:43 pm

Hampshire Aviation wrote:
ericbee123 wrote:"My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes" - Pesidemt Romald Reagan

A joke, not broadcast, and done at a point in time (during a soundcheck IIRC) that people knew Regan often made jokes.
ericbee123 wrote:"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully." - President George W Bush.

Hardly the same as saying there was a terrorist attack "yesterday" in Sweden! GW Bush was never a good public speaker, and when he went off-script, he was known to state things in an over-simplified manner.
ericbee123 wrote:"When the President does it, that means it’s not illegal.” - President Richard Nixon

Holy mother of context, Batman. Suggest reading where that line comes from and you'll see it's actually correct.
ericbee123 wrote:"It's like — it was like Special Olympics, or something." - Pesident Barack Obama when asked about his bowls game on the Tonight show.

See my comment about the Bushism above. Arguably this one was somewhat more offensive, but still in a different league to inventing a terrorist attack. An ill-conceived joke if anything.

I was just pointing out that Presidents say things wrong like anyone else. Your opinion is he just made up a terrorist attack in Sweden. I was just pointing out that he may have made a mistake confusing Sehwan with Sweden, but someone then went on to say Presidents shouldn't make mistakes. I just put a few examples. I could have found more or better examples, but the point is everyone inc. professional politicians and those briefed up to the eyeballs sometimes make mistakes.

Of course making up a terrorist attack, that is easily disproved, is far more likely than mixing up Sehwan and Sweden. That's probably why the BBC took it down and changed the story. In case anyone else was as daft as me to think he might have made a mistake.

I know the official line is he was referring to the Fox News item about Sweden.

Imagine,if you will, the moments after the press conference.

Trump - "That went well, eh ?"
Advisor - "Well, what did you mean by what happened yesterday in Sweden? "
Trump - "That massacre thing you told me about. Suicide bomber at a shrine or something."
Advisor - "No that was Sehwan"
Trump - "Sweden yes, that Fox News thing was on about problems in Sweden and you said there was terrorist attack in Sweden yesterday too ".
Advisor - "No, I said Sehwan".
Trump - "Tell me that is near or in Sweden"
Advisor - "It's a city in Pakistan"

Later in the day.

New Advisor - "Mr President, we've analysed what you said yesterday. And there are two options.
Option 1 - you didn't say there was an attack you said look at what happened in Sweden yesterday and Fox broadcast that article about problems in Sweden yesterday. Say you were referring to that.
Or.
Option 2 - say you confused a city in Pakistan with a country in Europe."

Even later in the day.

Another New Advisor - "Mr President there is only one option - option 1 - otherwise the Press are going to spend the next few days going on about you confusing Pakistan with Sweden and you aren't going to like that".

Although your version also makes perfect sense as well.

Your version :

Imagine,if you will, the moments after the press conference.

Trump - "That went well, eh ?"
Advisor - "Well, what did you mean by what happened yesterday in Sweden? "
Trump - "I don't know, I just made it up there and then. Sod 'em, nobody can disprove it. Something will have happened in Sweden with some immigrants. We will wing it. No worries."
ericbee123

Postby pbeardmore on Tue 21 Feb 2017, 10:46 am

Trump is in a league of his own and it seems strange to me that some would choose to try to suport him by picking out errors by other Presidents.
pbeardmore

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic