President Trump

Re: President Trump

Postby speedbird2639 on Sat 13 Jan 2018, 12:05 pm

Tbh I think The Donald has painted himself into a corner with all these ridiculous outbursts and is now starting to look to have the mental capacity of an unstable teenager obsessed with trawling for 'likes' on Twitter. Not one day goes by without about 6 damaging revelations from someone inside the White House and his PRs look increasingly desperate.

Given that he isn't a young man (by political standards anyway) and he seems to live on a diet of junk food and Coke, never doing any exercise I wouldn't be surprised if in the next few weeks or months we hear he has had some massive aneurysm and been found dead on the bathroom floor by an aide.
speedbird2639

Postby Burleysway on Sat 13 Jan 2018, 2:21 pm

Donald Trump is in “excellent health", his doctor announced after the President underwent a medical examination.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 56841.html
Burleysway

Postby Glosterbloke on Sat 13 Jan 2018, 4:03 pm

Burleysway wrote:Donald Trump is in “excellent health", his doctor announced after the President underwent a medical examination.

Not only that, his health is more excellent than anybody else's.
Glosterbloke

Postby Jimbo27 on Sat 13 Jan 2018, 5:35 pm

Glosterbloke wrote:
Burleysway wrote:Donald Trump is in “excellent health", his doctor announced after the President underwent a medical examination.

Not only that, his health is more excellent than anybody else's.

Yep. Bigly better...
Jimbo27

Postby speedbird2639 on Sat 13 Jan 2018, 7:59 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42677604

I know this isn't directly the Donald's fault but it happened on his watch and given how he's been stirring things up its plausible.

Imagine waking up to that message on your phone!

I think the US Govt should buy everyone on Hawaii a strong drink of their choice and some clean underwear becauses I'm guessing they could use both of these things today.
speedbird2639

Postby Berf on Sat 13 Jan 2018, 8:07 pm

Given that he took credit for the zero people killed in commercial aircraft over (can't remember what size it was) it is only fair that he takes credit for this as well.

Also interesting to see the statement from the US Embassy which says the 1bn USD cost of the new embassy which now meets all security requirements was financed through a property swop and used no tax payer dollars to fund the project. If the old one had been refurbished to the required level tax dollars would have been required. Seems like good business for the US taxpayer Donald.
Berf

Postby AndyXH558 on Sat 13 Jan 2018, 8:46 pm

made me laugh in his recent tweet..( seriously why hasnt twitter not shut this no talent no brains dumbkopf down yet) concerning the US embassy blaming Obama when it was Junior that authorised it.
AndyXH558

Postby speedbird2639 on Sat 13 Jan 2018, 9:09 pm

AndyXH558 wrote: seriously why hasnt twitter not shut this no talent no brains dumbkopf down yet)

Twitter are in a bit of a bind. If they chuck Trump off their platform 'because he has no talent' then surely they would have to chuck everyone else with no talent off. And if they did that there would be about or 6 people on Twitter and they would have no business (not that they are making any money anyway).
speedbird2639

Postby Wes_Howes on Sun 14 Jan 2018, 10:57 am

Despite opinions on him, I imagine Trump is good for Twitter, he pulls people in through his rhetoric and more hits, means more money for Twitter
Wes_Howes

Postby Tommy on Sun 14 Jan 2018, 11:09 am

There was a period recently(ish) last year when a Twitter employee managed to shut Donald Trump's account down for six hours, which was brief cause for celebration.

Very seriously, though, I can't understand how people in the US are ok with his unfettered access to the site. If a single rouge(?) Twitter employee can shut his account down, it should be or have been a warning flag to a raft of security issues associated with that, but things continue unchanged, it appears.

I've said this to a few people from the beginning, I don't think he'll be impeached, I don't think anything will happen that will shorten his presidency (and with Pence in the wings, there are some convincing arguments why that might be a bad thing anyway!). It's a long and gruelling slog until 2020, and in that time, the lies, errors, untruths and all of the other crap he spews needs to be called out, and he needs to be held to task. Though, like Brexit, I suspect that bringing facts to a feelings fight wont be enough.
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby Berf on Sun 14 Jan 2018, 12:03 pm

He could not take being the first US president to be successfully impeached he would resign first blaming everyone else.
Berf

Postby andrewn on Sun 14 Jan 2018, 3:35 pm

Tommy wrote:I've said this to a few people from the beginning, I don't think he'll be impeached, I don't think anything will happen that will shorten his presidency (and with Pence in the wings, there are some convincing arguments why that might be a bad thing anyway!). It's a long and gruelling slog until 2020, and in that time, the lies, errors, untruths and all of the other crap he spews needs to be called out, and he needs to be held to task. Though, like Brexit, I suspect that bringing facts to a feelings fight wont be enough.

What we are forgetting though is that Trump, like Brexit, was voted for by the people. In both cases, what it tells me is that people wanted CHANGE, something different from the status quo that we get force fed year, in year out. Whether this change ends up being what we actually want, in the long term, will be interesting to see. But what was the alternative for the US, carry on with essentially self serving "rotations" of power every 4 years? Similar with Brexit, not everybody wants to see the country full to the brim just because government and big business insists on cheap foreign labour to keep the economy ticking over...?

It remains my hope that the long term legacy of both Trump and Brexit is that we can all have much more open and honest debates on topics such as nation state sovereignty, immigration controls, the (good and bad) impacts of globalisation, how we (re-)distribute the wealth that does exist in society, etc. I'm not holding by breath though!
andrewn

Postby Berf on Sun 14 Jan 2018, 4:16 pm

andrewn wrote:
Tommy wrote: Similar with Brexit, not everybody wants to see the country full to the brim just because government and big business insists on cheap foreign labour to keep the economy ticking over...?

And there was me thinking it was the consumer that wanted lower prices in the supermarkets, or cheaper meals out - got that wrong then. Still I guess the unemployment rate will go down with all those young aspirational Brits with degrees clamouring to work in a cabbage field or washing up at the local restaurant. Oh and by the way, while of course we accept the democratic voting system in the USA, although I am not sure it is obvious to all, Clinton received 65,844,610 votes and Trump 62,979,636 - voted in by the people?
Berf

Postby andrewn on Sun 14 Jan 2018, 4:31 pm

Berf wrote:
andrewn wrote:
Tommy wrote: Similar with Brexit, not everybody wants to see the country full to the brim just because government and big business insists on cheap foreign labour to keep the economy ticking over...?

And there was me thinking it was the consumer that wanted lower prices in the supermarkets, or cheaper meals out - got that wrong then. Still I guess the unemployment rate will go down with all those young aspirational Brits with degrees clamouring to work in a cabbage field or washing up at the local restaurant. Oh and by the way, while of course we accept the democratic voting system in the USA, although I am not sure it is obvious to all, Clinton received 65,844,610 votes and Trump 62,979,636 - voted in by the people?

No, I wouldnt say you got that wrong, for many people those things you describe are more important than other less positive impacts of 300k net population growth per annum. It was a difficult one, which is why the vote was so close and also why it remains such a divisive topic! Regards the US, both sides knew the rules - Trump won the Electoral College vote convincingly in the end.
andrewn

Postby Brevet Cable on Sun 14 Jan 2018, 5:14 pm

Has Trump 'discovered' his long-lost Irish roots yet, because that seems to have been the case with just about every other POTUS ( including Obama, unless I'm mistaken ) ?
If not, that's one big plus in his favour.
Quite why the Americans see the need to be 'plastic Paddies' ( who were a bunch of Johnny-come-lately immigrants there compared to the Scottish & Welsh ) with a blinkered terrorist-supporting view of the so-called 'Old Country' has always baffled me.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby Berf on Sun 14 Jan 2018, 6:05 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:Has Trump 'discovered' his long-lost Irish roots yet, because that seems to have been the case with just about every other POTUS ( including Obama, unless I'm mistaken ) ?
Quite why the Americans see the need to be 'plastic Paddies' ( who were a bunch of Johnny-come-lately immigrants there compared to the Scottish & Welsh ) with a blinkered terrorist-supporting view of the so-called 'Old Country' has always baffled me.

His mother, Mary MacLeod, was born in the tiny Lewis village of Tong in 1912, before departing the island for the United States on the RMS Transylvania in 1930. But Trump has visited the island just twice in his lifetime. On his last brief sojourn in 2008, he spent a reported 97 seconds inside the family home, an unassuming, pebble dashed former croft where Mary was born and raised alongside nine older siblings, a world away from the gaudy, gold-encrusted affluence of Trump Tower. “I like it, I feel very comfortable here; I think I do feel Scottish,” he announced to waiting reporters after leaving the house, before boarding his private Boeing 727 and waving goodbye to the isle three hours later, seemingly never to return.
Berf

Postby andrewn on Sun 14 Jan 2018, 6:18 pm

Berf wrote:
Brevet Cable wrote:Has Trump 'discovered' his long-lost Irish roots yet, because that seems to have been the case with just about every other POTUS ( including Obama, unless I'm mistaken ) ?

His mother, Mary MacLeod, was born in the tiny Lewis village of Tong in 1912, before departing the island for the United States on the RMS Transylvania in 1930. But Trump has visited the island just twice in his lifetime. On his last brief sojourn in 2008, he spent a reported 97 seconds inside the family home, an unassuming, pebble dashed former croft where Mary was born and raised alongside nine older siblings, a world away from the gaudy, gold-encrusted affluence of Trump Tower. “I like it, I feel very comfortable here; I think I do feel Scottish,” he announced to waiting reporters after leaving the house, before boarding his private Boeing 727 and waving goodbye to the isle three hours later, seemingly never to return.

:lol: - almost as cringeworthy as his last visit when he congratulated the Scots on their decision to leave the EU, despite a majority of Scotland actually voting remain!
andrewn

Postby Berf on Sun 14 Jan 2018, 6:25 pm

As his mother was from the Western Isles I guess in time he can claim Irish roots as didn't most of those arrive by getting blown across the sea from the Emerald Isle? Or maybe he will declare himself King of Scotland successor to Idi Amin, dump Melania marry Nicola and buy Celtic. Interesting to see his father was a mate of Netanyahu - guess the Jerusalem deal was a debt settled!
Berf

Postby Brevet Cable on Mon 15 Jan 2018, 5:20 am

Nah, more likely to be of Scowegian descent.
I would say the proof is that he's not a ginger, but it's hard to tell....

:biggrin:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Berf on Mon 15 Jan 2018, 2:52 pm

Interesting quote from Richard Nixon at his nomination in 1968:

'And when the President of the United States cannot travel abroad or to any major city at home without fear of a hostile demonstration—then it's time for new leadership for the United States of America.'
Berf

Postby Brevet Cable on Mon 15 Jan 2018, 3:28 pm

Not to mention extremely ironic.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Burleysway on Sun 21 Jan 2018, 7:57 am

Interesting article on DTs first year. Worth a read.........

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... -term.html
Burleysway

Postby Finningley Boy on Mon 22 Jan 2018, 5:31 am

I've just noticed this thread and haven't taken the time to read all 11 pages of posts so I hope I'm not paraphrasing any previous entries, but here goes; I've read and heard enough trashing of President Trump to justify in the mind of a newly arrived alien, that living in our midst is the worst Human Being of all time. There was a saying at about the time of the start of Trump's presidency which went something along the lines of; People who support Trump take him seriously but not what he says seriously, people who oppose Trump take what he says seriously, but don't take him seriously. I understand the US economy has performed better than predicted, but it would be heresy to suggest this at one of these anti-Trump rallies on Saturday, his opponents are real band wagon material they're hysterical over his being elected at all because they wanted a carefully spoken side stepping run of the mill character, all full of double speak, they can't believe they have this maverick, whom I would admit, could do with having all means of communicating in public, other than pre-recordings, removed. Nobody can seriously think that Trump is the world's greatest despot of today, there are far worse, but they don't speak English as a first language and the countries they run/rule are expected to behave as they do. The big mistake we all make is assuming that America has to act in the interests of everyone else any more than North Korea does. The President of the US is charged to act in American interests, we have our own elected Leadership, who are charged with acting in our interests, and it isn't Sadiq Khan thank God!

FB
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!
Finningley Boy

Postby Tommy on Mon 22 Jan 2018, 1:05 pm

Don't forget him boasting about grabbing women by their parts. Oft overlooked, that sexual assault business.

Finningley Boy wrote:his opponents are real band wagon material they're hysterical over his being elected at all because they wanted a carefully spoken side stepping run of the mill character, all full of double speak, they can't believe they have this maverick, whom I would admit, could do with having all means of communicating in public, other than pre-recordings, removed.

A distinction needs to be drawn (and I find it keeps needing to be drawn, time and again) - "opponents" of Trump are not by definition supporters of what the other side has to offer. Clinton was about as appealing as cold vegetable soup that has started to form a crust after being thrown rather violently against a particularly dirty wall. I daresay that was probably one of the actual problems with the election in 2016. Someone competent should have been able to run rings around him.

Same with anything. People who are unhappy with Brexit do not by definition automatically believe the EU is without vice, flaw, or frustration.

Personal application; I think Trump is an arsebiscuit, but that doesn't mean I think Hilary was good. Quite the opposite, I thought she was utterly appalling. Better than Trump, but still appalling.
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby Georgeconna on Tue 23 Jan 2018, 11:13 am

Are you feeling a Little left out BC that no one is claiming to be from England?

Nice to see he has Scottish roots. They can keep him. :grin:
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.
Georgeconna

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic