Amazon - a cautionary tail

Amazon - a cautionary tail

Postby boff180 on Wed 07 Jun 2017, 11:38 am

In summary
  • Don't store your card details with Amazon
  • Check both .co.uk and .com for your account history regularly - they don't show the same data

Long Story
Until yesterday, as with most people I stored my card details with Amazon for quick/prime purchases.

Last Wednesday I received a strange email from amazon stating I had gift purchased a 2 year subscription to Kindle Unlimited. The email receipt was for $240 US Dollars but looked very genuine.

Thinking it was strange and wondering if it was a phishing email, I logged in to my account via amazon.co.uk and checked my account history. There were no unauthorised purchases.
I thought the email was a scam so ignored it.

Last night I checked my bank account to find a transaction equivalent to $240 USD plus fees!

I checked my amazon account via amazon.co.uk and nothing was showing.
Just in case I then tried logging in via amazon.com.

There it was! A gift purchase of a 2 year subscription to Kindle Unlimited!

It turns out that whilst your account is the same regardless which website you use - including stored cards.etc - your order history is unique to that specific web address/department of Amazon only!!!!!

Someone who I would like to say see you next Tuesday (if you get my drift..) to directly had managed to hack my amazon account password and.... due to the cards being stored.... were able to gift themselves a 2 year Kindle Unlimited subscription at my expense.

I've now changed my password and deleted all cards from my account.

I spent over an hour on the phone to amazon last night bashing my head against the wall with multiple people who could barely speak English - including the ".com" help team who just laughed at my accent as it wasn't American when I was put through to them. I've finally got them doing a business investigation and hopefully will get my money back - otherwise I will set the bank on them. As a precaution I've also cancelled my card with the bank and reported it to them.

The moral of the story - do not store bank card details with companies no matter who they are and.... when it comes to Amazon - don't trust your account history as it isn't your account history.... its your history on that specific site/domain only.

:mad:
boff180
UKAR Staff

Re: Amazon - a cautionary tail

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 07 Jun 2017, 12:11 pm

Been registered on the .com site since 1997 & the .co.uk site since 1999, never had any problem to date.

I queried why my previous orders weren't showing when I registered on the UK site & was told that all the sites were administered separately ( so presumably if you registered on any of the other Europe-based sites they wouldn't show on the UK one either )
Like other companies, it's not something they publicise, though.

I also note that despite not having purchased anything from the .com site since 2004 my card details are still up to date, so presumably if you're registered & store your card details on one site it automatically ports them across to all the other ones you've registered on.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby RAF4EVER on Thu 08 Jun 2017, 8:54 am

Did not know Amazon had a tail, do you not mean TALE, as in a story :smile:
RAF4EVER

Postby davidjones533 on Thu 08 Jun 2017, 9:11 am

Useful to know, thanks. One assumed that the order history would be the same for both.

Good luck getting your money back. I recently had someone in Russia try to hack my Microsoft account, but thankfully the multiple-step security process did it's job.
davidjones533

Postby Wrexham Mackem on Thu 08 Jun 2017, 9:22 am

I had a similar episode Andy, four or five years ago, when someone used my account and ordered a huge quantity of gift vouchers, in multiple smaller transactions. It was contained with .uk and Amazon were very quick to refund, given that I didn't notice the e-mail confirmations until the next morning.

The Kindle buy would've been a test purchase no doubt, to see if you noticed.

How they got my password I have no idea, I would expect some sort of a scrape of my machine.

The online world is a minefield, it really is. I pity the less IT savvy out there.
its time to kick the tyres and light the fires
Wrexham Mackem

Postby CMS on Fri 09 Jun 2017, 4:31 pm

Thanks Andy, Amazon is the only account I use that stores the credit card details other than Apple. Whilst it's convenient. too convenient in someways, I have deleted the credit card and like other sites, will have to enter them each time I buy something. Seems small price to pay for being safer! Hope you get your money back.

Chris
CMS

Postby southyorkshireman on Fri 14 Jul 2017, 8:59 am

Sorry for bringing this up again but its worth pointing out Amazon, like a lot of sites allow you to set up secondary security, either using an app on your phone or having a security code texted to your phone before you can log in. You can tell it to not need the code on devices you are happy are 'safe' but it does mean that you always need the code on any new device or browser before you can log in.
southyorkshireman

Postby Andyperkins on Fri 14 Jul 2017, 9:58 am

FYI this is true of all the different Amazon regions, in the past I have used Amazon.de, Amazon.fr, Amazon.it and Amazon.es and in each one only orders placed in that region will show in the account history but your log in details, addresses and card details will automatically be shared across them all (except Japan)
Andyperkins

Postby vandal on Wed 13 Sep 2017, 2:20 pm

Got an E-Mail claiming to be from Amazon today, text below.

*AmazonSupport team

It looks like your account need some verifications and may be locked in a few hours. Also all order will be canceled.

How can i resolve this ?

- Go to next

- Follow the instruction

- Once we have this information, we will reply within 12-24 hours. *

Haven't ordered anything from Amazon for a good 6 or 7 years. Had a look on their website and there's an E-Mail address to forward 'suspect' E-Mails to, as I have with this one.

Tried to access my account & Amazon cannot find it by E-Mail alone, wanted a postcode. Am I to assume my account has been closed as I've not used it in years?
vandal

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 13 Sep 2017, 2:40 pm

Unlikely, my .com one still exists & I can still access it even though I haven't used it for years.

Amazon did introduce a 2-stage verification process a few months ago ( which can be turned off ) which requires that you enter a verification code, but that was it - no locking or cancellation of orders ( not sure what would happen if you entered the wrong verification code, though )
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Return to Off Topic