Has your E-mail been hacked?

Has your E-mail been hacked?

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 2:21 pm

Not seen it mentioned on the television news, but it's featured on my local news website & it's tucked away on the BBC's : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-41095606
A malware researcher has discovered a spamming operation that has been drawing on a list of 711.5 million email addresses.

The usual problem.....Joe Bloggs can be as security-conscious as it's possible to be, only to have his details compromised on someone else's website/server.
The website to check if any of yours are on the list is : https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Two of my E-Mail addresses were on there ( not surprisingly, the ones I use to register on websites, forums, etc. )
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Re: Has your E-mail been hacked?

Postby boff180 on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 2:47 pm

Yup mine were :-)

One was breached by the Adobe Hack....

However all of mine that were with my website provided appear to have been breached.... it's interesting to note that 18 months ago I had a spate of spoofing pretending to be the same accounts.... a lot of internet security consultants stated it was coming from the providers Germany servers via poland.... to the point my car insurance provider has blocked emails from their email server.

Interestingly, when I challenged them, I got a denial that anything was wrong.... I've now switched provider and no longer have any issues.

A lot of the spoof emails going out were to email addresses no longer in my phonebook or inbox from 6 or 7 years ago. It's apparent that my system wasn't breached but their servers were and either they don't know about it or are hiding it. The addresses being found in the history records stored on the server.

Andy
boff180
UKAR Staff

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 3:05 pm

That's part of the problem, a lot of ISPs & E-Mail providers appear to be reluctant to admit they've ever been compromised.
Whilst 2 of mine are listed, the E-Mail address I used for UKAR wasn't on there :up:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby aceyone on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 7:41 pm

Neither of my two were on the list !
Don't know about those jets ,they spoil a very nice place
aceyone

Postby farnboroughrob on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 8:47 pm

My two main ones appear. Had a spate of Virgin accounts being hacked a couple of years ago via web mail and the they would spam all you address book . i don't use webmail so there was no address book for them to use.
farnboroughrob

Postby tankbuster81 on Fri 01 Sep 2017, 9:08 am

I've just read this thread and not being as tech savvy as you guys,can you please explain in layman's terms what this means, whether its something i need to act on,and what i need to do.I've put all 3 of my hotmail accounts through the search, and have had this response to each on:- Oh no — pwned!
Pwned on 1 breached site and found no pastes (subscribe to search sensitive breaches)

And this message upon searching using my wife's e mail address:-

Pwned on 4 breached sites and found 3 pastes (subscribe to search sensitive breaches)

Cheers in advance for any help.

Andy
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!
tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Postby Homer on Sat 02 Sep 2017, 10:37 am

tankbuster81 wrote:I've just read this thread and not being as tech savvy as you guys,can you please explain in layman's terms what this means,

Being on that list means very little on it's own.

It just means your email address was stored by a website which was compromised. It does not mean your email was compromised.

However, if you used the same password for the email as you do for other sites then it would be a good idea to change it.
Homer

Postby Brevet Cable on Sat 02 Sep 2017, 12:44 pm

Guess my topic title is a bit misleading -- the issue isn't just confined to E-mail addresses, it also includes user-names.
The 'Have I been pwned' website also allows you to check if these have been compromised.....and if you find that they have, there's a fair chance they may also have your password for that log-on as well.
It's further complicated by the fact that on many sites your log-on is likely to be your E-Mail address.

If your log-on name shows as having been pwned, it's a no-brainer to change the password for it as a minimum measure.....if it's just an E-Mail address ( one you know isn't used as a log-on anywhere ) I'd still recommend changing the password for it, unless it's an old redundant one.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby tankbuster81 on Sun 03 Sep 2017, 9:07 am

Thanks for the advice guys.Passwords have now been changed.

Andy
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!
tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Return to Off Topic