Home brew / wine making

Re: Home brew / wine making

Postby CMS on Fri 07 Sep 2018, 8:47 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:And following a marathon bottling session, the final result -- 39 bottles of ale! :biggrin:
( Or in real money, about 19.5L / 41 pints )

A question that I hope Brevet or other fellow brewers can answer. I have all the kit for brewing beer and made a successful first batch a couple of years ago but a subsequent and different batch more recently, didn't really do it for me taste wise. Unfortunately I can't remember the make/brand. So I'm after a kit for a light but tasty IPA style beer, any recommendations from your experiences? Thanks for any help/pointers

Chris
CMS

Postby Brevet Cable on Sat 08 Sep 2018, 12:03 pm

Have to admit that since returning to home-brewing I've not yet done an IPA....or a pale ale of any description, for that matter
Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 26 Sep 2018, 9:21 am

Grapes.
Originally I did 'Plan A', growing them in the open.....with the result that the birds & bugs ( particularly wasps ) had the major share of them. :sad:
Then, 'Plan B', covering them with netting....stopped most of the birds, but not the bugs. :sad:
Then, 'Plan C', my 'ghetto greenhouse' - plastic sides& fine-mesh roof.....stopped the birds & most of the bugs ( especially wasps ) :smile:

Unfortunately, like last year it didn't stop the weather! :sad:
Too hot when they were growing, too wet & windy when they were ripening.....so as with last year, lots of them split/went moldy & lots snapped off :sad:
Still managed to pick about 20Kg of red grapes yesterday ( and about 2Kg white grapes ) with what looks to be about another 5Kg or so ( red ) to go.

Guess next year it'll be 'Plan D', whatever that is.
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Mon 01 Oct 2018, 6:55 pm

Well, this year's batch of home-grown red wine has now been started.

25Kg or so of grapes means I've ended up with 10L or so of juice which, along with the grape pulp ( because for those who don't know, that's where red wine gets it's colour from ) is now sitting in a 15L fermentation bucket.

At the moment, it's a disgustingly unappetising green colour, but hopefully after a week or two fermenting with the pulp ( including skins ) it'll be red......if not, I'll just end up with a Rosé or off-white wine - preferably not green, though :lol:
Hmm....then again, apparently proper green wine ( from grapes ) doesn't exist, so maybe it'll be worth trying for !! :biggrin:
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Sun 14 Oct 2018, 2:35 pm

A couple of weeks on & rather disappointingly my wine is no longer green.....it's pink ! :lol:
If you've seen the cheap home-brand bottles of pink lemonade the likes of Asda do, it's that sort of pink. :love:

The good news is, it's currently around 13% ABV.

Next thing will be filtering it out for secondary fermentation.
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby G for George on Sun 18 Nov 2018, 6:56 pm

Not posted for a while. Though I'd better before my account gets deleted :lol:
Last night I started a 36 pint batch of pale ale.
Wilkos didn't have enough light malt extract, so I've substitued with a bag of Muntons beer enhancer. So I've got 1kg light malt, 1kg of enhancer and 500g of medium malt. Should be very pale. I've bittered with 50g of Goldings hops, then after the boil added 10g each of Citra and Kohatu hops. I'm going to dry hop with a further 20g each of the Citra and Kohatu. I've never used Kohatu before, they're grown in NZ and apparently add a tropical fruit aroma. I've used citra many times, which add a floral/fruity aroma, just hope the two together aren't hop overkill!
G for George

Postby G for George on Sun 18 Nov 2018, 6:58 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:A couple of weeks on & rather disappointingly my wine is no longer green.....it's pink ! :lol:
If you've seen the cheap home-brand bottles of pink lemonade the likes of Asda do, it's that sort of pink. :love:

The good news is, it's currently around 13% ABV.

Next thing will be filtering it out for secondary fermentation.

You sure you're not just hallucinating? :dizzy:
G for George

Postby Brevet Cable on Mon 19 Nov 2018, 5:41 pm

Nope...definitely pink :lol: :

Left it for another week before filtering & bottling, and it looked slightly more normal :
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby G for George on Mon 19 Nov 2018, 6:57 pm

Nice and clear though! :up:
G for George

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 20 Nov 2018, 12:21 pm

It's like a vodka - tripple-filtered :lol:
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby G for George on Thu 29 Nov 2018, 8:38 pm

Fermentation of my latest ale seems to have finished. Looking at just under 4.5% at the moment, that might rise slightly when I add the priming sugar to the keg. I've just dry hopped with the Citra and Kohatu, going to leave it until Monday before I transfer to the keg. It's a lovely pale colour, quite a hoppy, bitter taste. Hopefully the dry hopping will add plenty of aroma. Very pleased so far.
G for George

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 29 Nov 2018, 9:23 pm

:up:

Still not started anything since bottling my wine & I think it's too late for me to get a wheat beer ready by Christmas. :sad:
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby G for George on Wed 05 Dec 2018, 12:35 pm

Came to rack my ale into the pressure keg last night, only to find it warped inwards. Looks like someone has taken a cricket bat to it. Can only think its due to rapidly changing temperatures over the summer (I haven't brewed since then). I pressurised it and it popped back into shape, but I'm not risking my Christmas brew in there in case its integrity has been compromised. New one ordered, my nice, cheap homebrew is fast approaching pub prices this batch!
G for George

Previous

Return to Off Topic