Home brew / wine making

Re: Home brew / wine making

Postby CMS on Fri 07 Sep 2018, 8:47 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:And following a marathon bottling session, the final result -- 39 bottles of ale! :biggrin:
( Or in real money, about 19.5L / 41 pints )

A question that I hope Brevet or other fellow brewers can answer. I have all the kit for brewing beer and made a successful first batch a couple of years ago but a subsequent and different batch more recently, didn't really do it for me taste wise. Unfortunately I can't remember the make/brand. So I'm after a kit for a light but tasty IPA style beer, any recommendations from your experiences? Thanks for any help/pointers

Chris
CMS

Postby Brevet Cable on Sat 08 Sep 2018, 12:03 pm

Have to admit that since returning to home-brewing I've not yet done an IPA....or a pale ale of any description, for that matter
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 26 Sep 2018, 9:21 am

Grapes.
Originally I did 'Plan A', growing them in the open.....with the result that the birds & bugs ( particularly wasps ) had the major share of them. :sad:
Then, 'Plan B', covering them with netting....stopped most of the birds, but not the bugs. :sad:
Then, 'Plan C', my 'ghetto greenhouse' - plastic sides& fine-mesh roof.....stopped the birds & most of the bugs ( especially wasps ) :smile:

Unfortunately, like last year it didn't stop the weather! :sad:
Too hot when they were growing, too wet & windy when they were ripening.....so as with last year, lots of them split/went moldy & lots snapped off :sad:
Still managed to pick about 20Kg of red grapes yesterday ( and about 2Kg white grapes ) with what looks to be about another 5Kg or so ( red ) to go.

Guess next year it'll be 'Plan D', whatever that is.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Mon 01 Oct 2018, 6:55 pm

Well, this year's batch of home-grown red wine has now been started.

25Kg or so of grapes means I've ended up with 10L or so of juice which, along with the grape pulp ( because for those who don't know, that's where red wine gets it's colour from ) is now sitting in a 15L fermentation bucket.

At the moment, it's a disgustingly unappetising green colour, but hopefully after a week or two fermenting with the pulp ( including skins ) it'll be red......if not, I'll just end up with a Rosé or off-white wine - preferably not green, though :lol:
Hmm....then again, apparently proper green wine ( from grapes ) doesn't exist, so maybe it'll be worth trying for !! :biggrin:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Sun 14 Oct 2018, 2:35 pm

A couple of weeks on & rather disappointingly my wine is no longer green.....it's pink ! :lol:
If you've seen the cheap home-brand bottles of pink lemonade the likes of Asda do, it's that sort of pink. :love:

The good news is, it's currently around 13% ABV.

Next thing will be filtering it out for secondary fermentation.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Previous

Return to Off Topic