Crackpot of the week - rapper B.O.B

Crackpot of the week - rapper B.O.B

Postby boff180 on Tue 26 Sep 2017, 11:59 am

Rapper B.o.B. raising funds to check if Earth is flat

Spoiler: The Earth is not flat.

But US rapper B.o.B. is crowd-funding the launch of satellites to see if he can get some evidence to the contrary.

The rapper, whose real name is Bobby Ray Simmons Jr, has been a vocal proponent of the Flat Earth theory - the claim the Earth is, in fact, a disc and not spherical.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-41399164
boff180
UKAR Staff

Re: Crackpot of the week - rapper B.O.B

Postby speedbird2639 on Tue 26 Sep 2017, 12:23 pm

He's clearly mad as a box of frogs and talking nonsense that was disproved centuries if not millennia ago but if people want to give them their money then where is the harm? Any reasonable project will only disprove rather than prove his theory anyway.

Maybe its a shame that the money couldn't directed towards something more productive such as medical research or the provision of clean drinking water etc but when you live in a country where creationism is in the syllabus in many states and 80% of the population believe the World is less than 6000 years old (whilst driving a car powered by oil products) then its no great surprise.
speedbird2639

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 26 Sep 2017, 1:05 pm

What.....you mean neither of you have read 'Strata', the scientific treatise by Sir Terence David John Pratchett, which proves that not only is the Earth flat but it's also not very old.
:whistle:

:biggrin:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby AlexC on Tue 26 Sep 2017, 3:57 pm

What is he like?! :lol:
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Postby G for George on Tue 26 Sep 2017, 7:59 pm

I'd been thinking about starting a thread on the flat-earth theory. It seems that there are more and more people questioning what we have been taught regarding the earth and it's relationship to the rest of the solar system. I don't know if it was started as a joke, just to see how many people they could get on board. But seriously, some of it is absolutely bonkers.
G for George

Postby Mario on Wed 27 Sep 2017, 7:43 am

The Earth can't be flat.........

If it was, the cats would have pushed everything off of the edge by now :lol:

I'll get my coat..........
OK. What do we know, apart from what you've found out on Google?
- Harry Pearce
Mario

Postby AFKAMC on Wed 27 Sep 2017, 8:28 am

"Some proponents of the Flat Earth theory claim NASA employees guard the edge of the world to prevent people falling off."

Do you think NASA are hiring at the moment? I could do that job!
AFKAMC

Postby starbuck on Wed 27 Sep 2017, 9:07 am

AFKAMC wrote:"Some proponents of the Flat Earth theory claim NASA employees guard the edge of the world to prevent people falling off."

I wouldn't if I were you. From what I've heard it's a dead end career move. :whistle:
starbuck

Postby AFKAMC on Wed 27 Sep 2017, 9:23 am

starbuck wrote:
AFKAMC wrote:"Some proponents of the Flat Earth theory claim NASA employees guard the edge of the world to prevent people falling off."

I wouldn't if I were you. From what I've heard it's a dead end career move. :whistle:

I'd consider it more a sideways career move...

EDIT: Actually, having looked up the Wikipedia entry for B.o.B. (which I had to do because I’m not up to date with all the latest trends in modern music), it turns out he’s an all-round conspiracy theorist, and possibly a bit of a Holocaust denier and antisemite to boot, so maybe he’s not quite so amusing as I first thought. :sad:
AFKAMC

Postby CJS on Wed 27 Sep 2017, 2:10 pm

From said wiki page:

"B.o.B is an outspoken conspiracy theorist and is noted for his anti-establishment views, which he has expressed in interviews, social media and his music. Simmons has also been vocal on several social and political issues, including fighting the subjugated state of black Americans, police brutality and American exceptionalism. He believes that the Earth is flat, the 1969 moon landing was staged, 9/11 was an inside job, the New World Order will be led by the Illuminati and celebrity cloning is administered by the US government.[124][125][126][127][128] His 2016 song "Flatline" alludes to antisemitic conspiracy theories, asking his audience to "Do [their] research" on Holocaust denier David Irving.[129] These comments gained the attention of the Anti-Defamation League, which stated the lyrics invoke the antisemitic conspiracy theory that alleges Jews control the U.S. government.[130]"

So I think it's fair to say that pillock wouldn't be too harsh a term to use here.

'S OK though, it's not a joke...

https://wiki.tfes.org/Frequently_Asked_Questions

:facepalm: :surrender: :win:
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?
CJS

Postby CJS on Wed 27 Sep 2017, 2:14 pm

Seriously, you won't spend a more entertaining few minutes of your day flicking through this drivel. From the FAQ:

"What does the earth look like? How is circumnavigation possible?
As seen [snip] the earth is in the form of a disk with the North Pole in the center and Antarctica as a wall around the edge. This is the generally accepted model among members of the society. In this model, circumnavigation is performed by moving in a great circle around the North Pole.

The earth is surrounded on all sides by an ice wall that holds the oceans back. This ice wall is what explorers have named Antarctica. Beyond the ice wall is a topic of great interest to the Flat Earth Society. To our knowledge, no one has been very far past the ice wall and returned to tell of their journey. What we do know is that it encircles the earth and serves to hold in our oceans and helps protect us from whatever lies beyond."

Of course, now come on dear it's time for your medication... :dizzy:
CJS

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 27 Sep 2017, 2:33 pm

He's wrong, you know..........
........anyone who's read Pratchett knows that it's a fence. :lol:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby capercaillie on Wed 27 Sep 2017, 2:44 pm

Didn't he used to believe he was a VC10? :hypno: :ninja:
"The surrogate voice of st24"
capercaillie

Postby G for George on Wed 27 Sep 2017, 6:34 pm

The way they 'explain' night and day in different countries is particularly amusing. Apparently the sun is a spotlight, which moves across this flat earth, illuminating different countries. Of course, this doesn't really explain sunrise or sunset...
G for George

Postby DrBenR on Thu 28 Sep 2017, 10:27 am

G for George wrote:The way they 'explain' night and day in different countries is particularly amusing. Apparently the sun is a spotlight, which moves across this flat earth, illuminating different countries. Of course, this doesn't really explain sunrise or sunset...

Really lucky the light bulb in the spotlight hasn't suddenly blown!! Unless eclipses are the emergency backup lights!! :lol: :lol:

Ben R
DrBenR

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 28 Sep 2017, 11:04 am

G for George wrote:Of course, this doesn't really explain sunrise or sunset...

The tracking it runs on is a continuous loop.....once it's travelled across our side of the Earth it travels underneath and illuminates the Earth on the opposite side to ours.
:biggrin:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby CJS on Thu 28 Sep 2017, 2:43 pm

So what's underneath the flat disc that is Earth then? Wiring and stuff, like you get behind plasterboard?
CJS

Postby iainpeden on Thu 28 Sep 2017, 2:50 pm

CJS wrote:So what's underneath the flat disc that is Earth then? Wiring and stuff, like you get behind plasterboard?

Along with all the fag packets, bits of fluff and umpteen coins which have disappeared down the back of the sofa and then been transported BELOW
iainpeden

Postby G for George on Thu 28 Sep 2017, 7:37 pm

CJS wrote:So what's underneath the flat disc that is Earth then? Wiring and stuff, like you get behind plasterboard?

Don't be silly. It's a giant safety net to catch all the ships that have fallen off, duh!
G for George

Postby silver fox on Thu 28 Sep 2017, 8:25 pm

Come on, we all know that Earth is balanced on a herd of elephants, who in turn stand on the back of a giant turtle, it's the turtle swimming around that gives us seasons and of course night and day, I presume it's also the home of the advanced civilisation which visits us now and then in their flying saucers and even take the occasional human off for a bit of experimental testing, the only problem is I have heard the turtle's getting a bit old and knackered.

Might as well continue the madness, good fun when you consider some fruit cakes will believe it. :dizzy:
silver fox

Postby neville on Thu 28 Sep 2017, 8:59 pm

The governments of the world are advised and controlled by an alien race known as 'Tallwhites'.

So, now you know...
neville

Postby AFKAMC on Fri 29 Sep 2017, 9:56 am

If the Earth is flat, it means it has no core. Which must mean that the bottom side is populated by Peter Cushing, Doug McClure, Caroline Munro… and a bunch of rubber dinosaurs.

(Only forum members of a certain age are likely to understand what I am talking about.)
AFKAMC

Postby RAF4EVER on Fri 29 Sep 2017, 11:13 am

Caroline Munro, mmmmmmmmmmmmm, :smile: :smile: :smile:
RAF4EVER

Postby MikeH on Fri 29 Sep 2017, 11:34 am

Its easy to ridicule these people but they have to be taken seriously. By their own admission the Flat Earth Society boasts membership from all around the globe.
MikeH

Postby aceyone on Fri 29 Sep 2017, 12:09 pm

MikeH wrote:Its easy to ridicule these people but they have to be taken seriously. By their own admission the Flat Earth Society boasts membership from all around the globe.

:grin: :clap:
Don't know about those jets ,they spoil a very nice place
aceyone

Next

Return to Off Topic