The Last Post

The Last Post

Postby Finningley Boy on Sun 01 Oct 2017, 8:07 pm

Just watching The Last Post on BBC and already noted a handful of continuity errors. Lightnings parked up at what I assume is meant to be RAF Khormaksar, all painted in the air defence grey with tone down roundels as were first applied at the beginning of the 1980s, the programme is set in Aden in 1965. We've also got British Soldiers with the present day fashionable hair crop, tight all the way up the side with an almost Mohican on top.
Who the Hell researches for the BBC when it comes to this kind of stuff? :cuppa:

FB :biggrin:
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!
Finningley Boy

Re: The Last Post

Postby Craig on Sun 01 Oct 2017, 8:50 pm

Just seen a screenshot showing full colour roundels on the Lightnings so even more wrong. Plus the roundels and underwing serials on the Vulcan, and the BOAC VC-10 with nose mounted IFR probe. These things just don't matter to TV producers it seems!
Craig
UKAR Staff

Postby phreakf4 on Sun 01 Oct 2017, 9:07 pm

Craig wrote:...... These things just don't matter to TV producers it seems!

Or to the vast majority of the viewing audience. The same applies to such impossible things as FTL spacecraft or humans with "supernormal" powers. Didn't matter much to Shakespeare either (see Romans in "Julius Caesar" referring to "the striking of the clock" and many other anachronisms).

It's TV. It's entertainment, not "Plane spotting for Beginners".
We are Borg:.....Resistance is Fruity...
phreakf4

Postby speedbird2639 on Sun 01 Oct 2017, 9:17 pm

phreakf4 wrote:

Or to the vast majority of the viewing audience. The same applies to such impossible things as FTL spacecraft or humans with "supernormal" powers. Didn't matter much to Shakespeare either (see Romans in "Julius Caesar" referring to "the striking of the clock" and many other anachronisms).

^^This - go on imdb and most films and tv series have a list of 200-300 points which are technically or factually incorrect. Most people watch it to enjoy the story not to check the correct RAF roundrels were used.
speedbird2639

Postby CJS on Mon 02 Oct 2017, 5:42 am

Ah but 'most' people aren't UKAR members...

My grandfather got a groveling apology from the BBC once for showing an FW-190 and calling it a Hurricane, but this is hardly in the same league.

But if it upsets your that much, write to them - you might be surprised to a) get a response and b) that it might even be taken into account if there are any future programmes (not yet made).
"Forewarned is forearmed"
CJS

Postby Finningley Boy on Mon 02 Oct 2017, 8:07 am

phreakf4 wrote:

PhreakF4 There is a difference, a quite significant one, between fiction, non-fiction and fairy tales on the one hand and an attempt to depict an actual period in History and the programme makers do bend over backwards to get miniskirts music of the period and uniforms correct. The appearance of aircraft, which early models of which were flying in 1965, may well be correct but they pay researchers a lot of money to get detail right. Lightnings from 1985 rather than 1965 is just plain lazy and as has been pointed out by Craig, the Vulcan with under wing roundels, never happened, nor were they in anti-flash white by 1965, all in low level camouflage on upper surfaces. But you're right, all likely to go over some peoples heads. But a lot of folk would have noticed, you'd be surprised. Another thing, and I might stand corrected here, but unless there was a cap badge for RMPs in Aden which I'm unaware of the BBC seems to have gone to incredible length to create one which simply didn't exist; the red caps are seen with cap badges with the initials RMP? E II R surely?! :cuppa:

Finningley Boy

Postby Brevet Cable on Mon 02 Oct 2017, 9:12 am

It's a drama series, not a documentary.
In that respect it's no different from the likes of 'Soldier Soldier', 'Our Girl', or even 'Bluestone 42'.

Most of the fault-picking has already been done on another forum.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Mon 02 Oct 2017, 9:15 am

Finningley Boy wrote:I might stand corrected here, but unless there was a cap badge for RMPs in Aden which I'm unaware of the BBC seems to have gone to incredible length to create one which simply didn't exist; the red caps are seen with cap badges with the initials RMP? E II R surely?! :cuppa:

Nope, no need for any correction.
Don't know if it's true or not, but apparently the reason for the invented cap-badge is because the MOD wouldn't allow them to use the proper one.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Finningley Boy on Mon 02 Oct 2017, 10:26 am

Brevet Cable wrote:It's a drama series, not a documentary.
In that respect it's no different from the likes of 'Soldier Soldier', 'Our Girl', or even 'Bluestone 42'.

Dunkirk was a dramatization as well, so was Saving Private Ryan, but these films' Producers went to sufficient lengths to get detail correct, the Spitfires in Dunkirk were accurately depicted even the Black and White undersides which a large number still sported at that particular time. There was a clear attempt to recreate 1965 Aden, the uniforms, the Aircraft, the Vehicles and son on. But they got it wrong, the detail was amiss, they can get it right if they get a half decent historical researcher. The evidence is clear that they try to. Regarding the RMP cap badges, that's a first. Just about any serious drama, and comedies too, revolving around depictions of the Armed Forces, often get uniform insignia correct. I've never seen the MOD exercise such a bloody minded approach. Didn't the RMPs in the afore mentioned television series, you've listed, all have authentic cap badges? Certainly Soldier Soldier did. I'll stick with my assessment that the BBC just aren't much cop at certain period dramas.

FB
Finningley Boy

Postby speedbird2639 on Mon 02 Oct 2017, 10:39 am

FB

If it bothers you that much pop the ones you've noticed so far on here http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5133742/goofs?ref_=tt_ql_trv_2
speedbird2639

Postby Finningley Boy on Mon 02 Oct 2017, 2:01 pm

All done speedy, you can read my review on imdb now! :cuppa:

FB :cuppa:
Finningley Boy

Postby Brevet Cable on Mon 02 Oct 2017, 3:23 pm

Not yet you can't.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby vulcan558 on Mon 02 Oct 2017, 3:48 pm

Finningley Boy wrote:

Dunkirk was a dramatization as well, so was Saving Private Ryan, but these films' Producers went to sufficient lengths to get detail correct, the Spitfires in Dunkirk were accurately depicted even the Black and White undersides which a large number still sported at that particular time. There was a clear attempt to recreate 1965 Aden, the uniforms, the Aircraft, the Vehicles and son on. But they got it wrong, the detail was amiss, they can get it right if they get a half decent historical researcher. The evidence is clear that they try to. Regarding the RMP cap badges, that's a first. Just about any serious drama, and comedies too, revolving around depictions of the Armed Forces, often get uniform insignia correct. I've never seen the MOD exercise such a bloody minded approach. Didn't the RMPs in the afore mentioned television series, you've listed, all have authentic cap badges? Certainly Soldier Soldier did. I'll stick with my assessment that the BBC just aren't much cop at certain period dramas.

FB

What mk of spitfires was used in the Dunkirk film, to what mk used in Dunkirk.
vulcan558

Postby Finningley Boy on Mon 02 Oct 2017, 4:18 pm

vulcan558 wrote:
Finningley Boy wrote:

FB

They were mark 1s as far as I could tell, as they should have been, so go on them tell me I missed that they were mark 2s or something. They had, as they would, three-blade spinners, .303 guns only, no cannons, earth brown and sea green camouflage, again as they should and prominent reinforced windscreens. What have I missed?

Finningley Boy

Postby Brevet Cable on Mon 02 Oct 2017, 4:42 pm

How many horsepower does a wooden pole produce......or had the Spitfire been retrofitted with a P-39 engine? :biggrin:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Finningley Boy on Mon 02 Oct 2017, 6:03 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:How many horsepower does a wooden pole produce......or had the Spitfire been retrofitted with a P-39 engine? :biggrin:

Ok I'll field that, the Spit mk 1 had a Merlin mark 2 or 3, 1070 hp V12 Piston engine. :smile:

Another film continuity error, the experienced crusty old C-119 Pilot, Dennis Quaid, in the remake of Flight of the Phoenix, described the piston engines of his crate as producing 2,000lbs static thrust each! :biggrin:

Finningley Boy

Postby FarnboroJohn on Mon 02 Oct 2017, 6:15 pm

Finningley Boy wrote:
vulcan558 wrote:
Finningley Boy wrote:

FB

They were mark 1s as far as I could tell, as they should have been, so go on them tell me I missed that they were mark 2s or something. They had, as they would, three-blade spinners, .303 guns only, no cannons, earth brown and sea green camouflage, again as they should and prominent reinforced windscreens. What have I missed?

One was the Mk VB EP122 with the cannon fairings removed (though the stubs were still visible) and a short spinner instead of the usual long Mk V one - though I'm not sure if the short one is authentic for that particular Malta Spitfire? One of the others was AR213 which is a Ia that has been around for ever, and the last, X2650 another Ia. If that matters....

John
FarnboroJohn

Postby Finningley Boy on Mon 02 Oct 2017, 6:20 pm

FarnboroJohn wrote:
Finningley Boy wrote:
vulcan558 wrote:
Finningley Boy wrote:

FB

One was the Mk VB EP122 with the cannon fairings removed (though the stubs were still visible) and a short spinner instead of the usual long Mk V one - though I'm not sure if the short one is authentic for that particular Malta Spitfire? One of the others was AR213 which is a Ia that has been around for ever, and the last, X2650 another Ia. If that matters....

John

Well there you are then, the producers made a sterling effort to get thins right with the Spits at least without resorting to CGI. Shame about the 1970s BR Train carriage later in the film! :roll:

Finningley Boy

Postby st24 on Tue 03 Oct 2017, 11:36 am

Finningley Boy wrote:Well there you are then, the producers made a sterling effort to get thins right with the Spits at least without resorting to CGI. Shame about the 1970s BR Train carriage later in the film! :roll:

..Or the 1950s Buchon playing a Bf109E!!

Back to the Last Post, that I caught last night, an okay drama I guess and I've got a thing for Jessica Raine :love: To add, Lightnings in whatever scheme were still very new in 1965 and F.6s were only just in service with 56Sqn and were never based in Aden. Indeed the only fast jets based were Hunter 7s, 9s and 10s. There may have been a few White v bombers extant in '65 but as said, not with Underwing roundels.or serials (early B1s did) Interesting that it was dear old 558 that purred overhead! At least the Wessex was right along with the archive film Belvedere!
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!
st24

Postby boff180 on Wed 04 Oct 2017, 6:30 am

Finningley Boy wrote:

John

Well there you are then, the producers made a sterling effort to get thins right with the Spits at least without resorting to CGI. Shame about the 1970s BR Train carriage later in the film! :roll:

For two aircraft that’s still accurate. Mk1a were used in combat during Operation Dynamo.

In fact on the first patrol by 19sqn during Operation Dynamo, after shooting down a Ju-87, Spitfire Mk1a N3200 was itself shot down.

The very same N3200 which now flies from Duxford.
boff180
UKAR Staff

Postby psquiddy on Mon 09 Oct 2017, 7:01 pm

Did I hear correctly last night - an SAS chap said he was "scared of heights"
Over 300 free things to do in London
http://www.toplondondaysout.co.uk
psquiddy

Postby ericbee123 on Mon 09 Oct 2017, 8:39 pm

psquiddy wrote:Did I hear correctly last night - an SAS chap said he was "scared of heights"

No. He was an MP seconded to them. The other MP got blisters and didn't get killed.
Last edited by ericbee123 on Mon 09 Oct 2017, 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer-I have spell/grammar checked this post, it may still contain mistakes that might cause offence.
ericbee123

Postby phreakf4 on Mon 09 Oct 2017, 8:39 pm

psquiddy wrote:Did I hear correctly last night - an SAS chap said he was "scared of heights"

Nothing wrong with being scared. It's conquering the fear which takes character......
We are Borg:.....Resistance is Fruity...
phreakf4

Postby ericbee123 on Mon 09 Oct 2017, 8:43 pm

phreakf4 wrote:

Nothing wrong with being scared. It's conquering the fear which takes character......

He was an MP and not SAS trained.
Disclaimer-I have spell/grammar checked this post, it may still contain mistakes that might cause offence.
ericbee123

Postby psquiddy on Mon 09 Oct 2017, 9:20 pm

Thats ok then - I was only half watching it.
Over 300 free things to do in London
http://www.toplondondaysout.co.uk
psquiddy

Return to Off Topic