Another computer scam

Another computer scam

Postby iainpeden on Tue 03 Oct 2017, 5:55 pm

Be warned folks.
An e-mail dropped into my inbox today suggesting that the TV licencing people owed me £84 and all I had to do was to click a link and give my bank account details and I'd get a refund. Needless to say they don't!

This is the address it came from:

Tv Licensing [kaeldso@mail.tele.dk
iainpeden

Re: Another computer scam

Postby Big Eric on Tue 03 Oct 2017, 5:59 pm

I honestly can't remember the last time I received a spam email, every single email that I've received for years has been from someone that I can trust.
Big Eric

Postby cg_341 on Tue 03 Oct 2017, 8:09 pm

I must receive hundreds of spam emails, last time I opened one must have been around 2009 though!

Why would TV licensing ever email you? When was the last time Amy sort of authority EMAILED you to let you know something to do with money? :whistle:
cg_341

Postby Homer on Wed 04 Oct 2017, 8:13 am

cg_341 wrote:Why would TV licensing ever email you?

Because they do paperless licencing now. Saves me having a bit of paper I never need to look at stuck somewhere I can never find it.

When was the last time Amy sort of authority EMAILED you to let you know something to do with money?

Last time we changed our car, I got the VED refund notified by email.
Homer

Postby silver fox on Sat 14 Oct 2017, 8:53 pm

Homer

Sure you got the notification by E-Mail, but the refund would be by automatic bank transfer or even old fashioned cheque, you wouldn't need to do anything to apply for it.
silver fox

Postby wv383 on Sat 14 Oct 2017, 10:22 pm

There are only two times that the TV licencing people would email you. Either reminding you at renewal time which happens if you don't pay by Direct Debit. The other time is once you have renewed they email you to confirm that it is done. They don't email at any other time.

Anyway, why would they tell you of a refund. It's a fixed price for everyone unless you are old enough to qualify for a discount (80 years old I believe)
Simon
wv383

Postby Reds Rolling on Sun 15 Oct 2017, 3:10 pm

I'd like a refund on all the crap sitcoms that the BBC are churning out these days! :wat:
Reds Rolling

Postby morningrise on Mon 13 Nov 2017, 5:20 pm

Easy trick is always to call up the company in question... a simple phone call and you can figure out it's a scam. But then again, scammers don't try that hard.
morningrise

Postby Pen Pusher on Sun 10 Dec 2017, 7:22 am

From an e-mail I received, it would appear I'm $13,000 richer this morning.

Hi,
This is to inform you that $13,797.83 has been deposited into your bank account this morning.

Watch this for a quick tutorial on how you can claim your funds.
Your balance can be withdrawn any time and without delay.

See How Here

I've checked my bank statement and they are lying. It's not there.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
DfG on Facebook
Pen Pusher

Postby iainpeden on Sun 10 Dec 2017, 10:26 am

But it's a Sunday so it won't show, silly.
iainpeden

Postby cg_341 on Sun 10 Dec 2017, 10:41 am

You obviously missed a step Brian. Watch the video again.
cg_341

Return to Off Topic