Wireless speed tips please!

Wireless speed tips please!

Postby CJS on Thu 26 Oct 2017, 9:22 pm

Evenin' all

A bit of advice please: I have Sky for my broadband and phone and am currently getting between 14 and 16mb download speed in to the hub (not super fast but deffo fine for me, so that's not a problem). So when I use a wired connection into my laptop all is fine.

However, my download speed on a wireless connection is woeful - 1mb if I'm lucky, although occasionally it is much faster, but only for a few hours or so, which is odd. I know a bit about these things, so have tried everything obvious - moving the router, sitting right next to the bloody thing to test it (no difference), turning off all other devices etc etc... but nothing seems to be working. Streaming Postman Pat for my 2 year old this morning was only just do able, watching anything on line only just works and often buffers, which these days is just ridiculous.

I have moaned to Sky but no reply as yet - do I need to insist on a new router or will that not help anyway? It's just over 3 years old.

Any tips (preferably sensible ones) greatly received. Thanks muchly in advance. :up:
Chris
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?
CJS

Re: Wireless speed tips please!

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 26 Oct 2017, 9:49 pm

Router firmware & laptop drivers up to date ?
Is the router & laptop WiFi dual-band ? If so, try switching between the two to see which works best.
Also try changing the channel the router broadcasts on.....most are set to the same one by default ( think it may be Ch.6 ) so if there are other routers ( or any wireless devices ) nearby they may be interfering.
Try running one of the freebie WiFi analyser programs available to check this.
You may also be getting interference from a non-WiFi source.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby boff180 on Fri 27 Oct 2017, 5:21 am

Sounds like interference.

My laptop suffers horribly with my “smart” BT router and drops Wi-fi constantly, certain Wi-fi cards in laptops just can’t handle auto channel/speed switching, especially if it hasn’t got the N or AC 5ghz protocols.

The solution was to split the 2.4ghz and 5ghz wireless transmitters into separate Wi-fi networks, I also manually told the router which channel to use for each frequency - doing both completely disabled smart switching.

You can get free Wi-fi sniffing software which will show you all the Wi-fi channels on both frequencies so you can set a channel that isn’t in use/has the least interference.

The pain being that you have to go through every Wi-fi device and either connect it to the 5ghz network (if compatible) or the 2.4ghz network.

It did the trick though!

Andy
boff180
UKAR Staff

Postby CJS on Fri 27 Oct 2017, 10:12 am

Thank you both guys. Will try those ideas later. Much appreciated :-)
CJS

Postby CJS on Fri 27 Oct 2017, 12:51 pm

How much could the weather affect the wireless? I've read that it can (atmospheric pressure and what not) but really? Today I am sitting in my lounge happily getting 12mb over the wireless, in the exact same place at pretty much the exact same time on the exact same website - in fact everything is the same apart from the fact that today is calm and sunny and yesterday was wet and windy, but yesterday I got between 0.27 (haha!) and 1.3mb
CJS

Postby iainpeden on Fri 27 Oct 2017, 2:03 pm

Chris - it's getting near halloween so have you factored in the detrimental effect of increased ectoplasm in the atmosphere?
iainpeden

Return to Off Topic