Best Supergroup ever?

Best Supergroup ever?

Postby CJS on Tue 28 Nov 2017, 10:47 am

For no particular reason I found myself listening to 'End of the Line' by the Travelling Wilburys last night and it got me to thinking what a genuinely super supergroup they were - George Harrison, Jeff Lynne, Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison, Tom Petty and some bloke on drums* - but are there any others which can match them?

Crosby Stills Nash and Young spring to mind, but not up there with the Wilburys IMHO.

I'm listening to a band called Filthy Friends at the mo - a supergroup but not with very well known members (apart from Peter Buck).

*obviously not just 'some bloke', but you get my meaning https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Keltner
"Forewarned is forearmed"
CJS

Re: Best Supergroup ever?

Postby speedbird2639 on Tue 28 Nov 2017, 11:04 am

It hasn't been formed yet but I reckon the surviving members of The Who and The Beatles should combine to form a supergroup.

The Who are missing a drummer and a bassist - The Beatles now only have remaining a drummer and a bassist - what are they waiting for? And none of them are getting any younger so they need to crack on if they are going to do it (which sadly I suspect they have no intention of doing). They could be called The Whootles.
speedbird2639

Postby Ian G on Tue 28 Nov 2017, 12:09 pm

I'm not really in to country music but some songs from The Highwaymen are amazing. There's also ELP and Cream - and don't forget those who came together for things like Perfect Day and Band Aid....do they count?!
Ian Garfield Photography Website!

Flickr Photostream

I should probably be working. Will work for doughnuts.
Ian G
UKAR Staff

Postby DrBenR on Tue 28 Nov 2017, 12:22 pm

Have to agree with The Traveling Wilburys as the best supergroup.
A nice link to my favourite performer Warren Zevon, was that he was in a group with Peter Buck plus Mike Mills and Bill Berry, also from REM called the Hindu Love Gods before Michael Stipe arrived. Their version of Raspberry Beret is my favourite cover version of the song.
Second link is Jim Keltner, the Wilburys drummer also played on Warren last album when he was diagnosed with terminal mesothelioma. Warren demanded they played Knocking On Heaven's Door for the album. As he said whether he had any regrets, Warren told Letterman "I lived like Jim Morrison and got another 30 years!" He also said his phobia of doctors "didn't really work out!" and singing about death for 20-odd years it came as no big shock to him

Ben R
DrBenR

Postby Airwolfhound on Tue 28 Nov 2017, 12:35 pm

Well, The Avengers are certainly better than the Justice League.....oh wait..... :grin:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)
Airwolfhound

Postby Spiny Norman on Tue 28 Nov 2017, 5:48 pm

That's easy.

The Dirty Mac featuring:

John Lennon
Eric Clapton
Keith Richards
Mitch Mitchell

Only played once but it was something special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj4aJ8R0k2Y
He's done another book. You're joking.
Spiny Norman

Postby G for George on Tue 28 Nov 2017, 8:06 pm

You'd go a long way to beat the Travelling Wilburys. I'd read about Tom Jones having an impressive backing group for some recording sessions in the sixties. His keyboard player was some bloke called Reg. Who's now some bloke called Elton John.
G for George

Postby starbuck on Tue 28 Nov 2017, 9:32 pm

Can't believe this is even up for debate.

McBusted.

Move on.
starbuck

Postby borismorris on Tue 28 Nov 2017, 10:25 pm

The Highwaymen.

and for the younger rockers amongst us..
Temple of the dog
borismorris

Postby iainpeden on Tue 28 Nov 2017, 10:38 pm

Cream

Free

Bad Company

Queen (with Paul Rogers)
iainpeden

Postby CJS on Wed 29 Nov 2017, 6:37 am

Temple of the Dog - of course.

As for McBusted. You're right, mods lock the thread now, the search is over. :-P
CJS

Postby Berf on Wed 29 Nov 2017, 6:53 am

Can' say I agree with Free - they were all unknown and kids when it was formed.

Blind Faith

Them Crooked Vultures

Chickenfoot

Asia

ELP
Berf

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 29 Nov 2017, 7:40 am

To have been a 'supergroup', let alone the 'best ever', the groups would have had to be widely known to the general public.
That would rule out a the vast majority of those which some of you have suggested.
Heck, going by some of your suggestions I might as well throw in 'Jerry Bryant and the Starboard Mess', 'The King's Noyse' and 'The Blims'.
:biggrin:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby DerekF on Wed 29 Nov 2017, 8:25 am

Audioslave
The Breeders
The Power Station
Minor Victories
DerekF

Postby AFKAMC on Wed 29 Nov 2017, 9:53 am

iainpeden wrote:Queen (with Paul Rogers)

Paul Rodgers was also in The Firm, with Jimmy Page.

And Brian May did the Star Fleet theme with some bloke called Eddie Van Halen.

EDIT: Just remembered Velvet Revolver, with various members of Guns N' Roses and the late Scott Weiland from Stone Temple Pilots.
AFKAMC

Postby AlexC on Wed 29 Nov 2017, 11:52 am

Another vote for the Travelling Wilburys from me, especially with the late lamented Lefty Wilbury, my fave! :up:
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 29 Nov 2017, 12:18 pm

CSN/CSNY
And as they also haven't been mentioned yet, Led Zeppelin
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby starbuck on Wed 29 Nov 2017, 2:04 pm

BC - by your own reasoned logic of a few posts above as to what qualifies as a supergroup I'm struggling to see how Led Zep could be considered? Sure they all came from different bands with varying degrees of success before getting together but I bet the general public would have struggled with knowing who Jimmy Page was let alone the rest of them before 1969.

How about the supergroup (in quantity and quality) that backed Joe Cocker on the infamous Mad Dogs and Englishmen tour?

Or how about the E Street band in it's more recent incarnations with Max Weinberg and Little Stevie back in the fold and Nils Lofgren signing on?

There have been some pretty impressive soul get-togethers over the years as well, Motown used to regularly put their acts together such as the Temptations and the Supremes on the road and on albums and Otis Redding / Sam & Dave backed by Booker T & the MG's were pretty powerful combinations.
starbuck

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 29 Nov 2017, 3:29 pm

The same could be said of most musicians, though.
Page - considered to be one of the greatest and most influential guitarists of all time, frequently coming in the top 5 'Greatest guitarists' lists
Plant - considered to be one of the greatest and most influential vocalists of all time, frequently coming in the top 5 'Greatest vocalists' lists
Bonham - considered to be one of the greatest and most influential rock drummers of all time, frequently coming in the top 5 'Greatest drummers' lists
JPJ - whilst not quite up there with the rest of Led Zep, he's one of the most under-rated bass guitarists ( and keyboard player ) who's influenced a number of other renown rock guitarists.
Led Zep also greatly influenced a number of other bands/groups across a wide scope of musical genres.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby starbuck on Wed 29 Nov 2017, 5:21 pm

Ah ok, I see where your'e coming from. For me the definition of supergroup is for a group of musicians coming together after being already well established in their own right.

A la McBusted.
starbuck

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 29 Nov 2017, 5:55 pm

If it's solely on famous band members/solo artists getting together, you'd have to include the original Band Aid group.
Or from a different perspective, the Three Tenors.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Big Eric on Wed 29 Nov 2017, 6:22 pm

The answer to the original question is undoubtedly The Traveling Wilburys.
Big Eric

Postby The Baron on Wed 29 Nov 2017, 8:28 pm

Asia.
The original supergroup. All four original members had all made names for themselves in previous groups, King Crimson, Yes, Buggles and ELP.

The original and best.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.
The Baron

Postby AndyXH558 on Wed 29 Nov 2017, 8:35 pm

Another vote for the Wilburys. Always liked them, best song was always a bone of contention between my dad and myself. He loved Tweeter and the monkeyman and I loved Handle me with care, still one of the best albums in my collection though.

There was a rock supergroup that did a Christmas single called the Greedy bastards. Phil lynott from Thin Lizzy and the sex pistols paul cook and steve jones.
AndyXH558

Postby CJS on Wed 29 Nov 2017, 8:59 pm

Tired Pony - another good recent one with Peter Buck and Gary Lightbody.
CJS

Next

Return to Off Topic