Best Supergroup ever?

Re: Best Supergroup ever?

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 29 Nov 2017, 9:31 pm

AndyXH558 wrote:There was a rock supergroup that did a Christmas single called the Greedy bastards. Phil lynott from Thin Lizzy and the sex pistols paul cook and steve jones.

Wasn't that also the name of the group ?
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby speedbird2639 on Wed 29 Nov 2017, 10:17 pm

to form The Greedy Bastards, who played a small number of gigs playing a varied selection of songs. Other occasional members of The Greedy Bastards included Bob Geldof and Pete Briquette of the Boomtown Rats...Lynott also reactivated The Greedy Bastards, who released a one-off Christmas single, "A Merry Jingle", in December 1979 as simply The Greedies. With the group now composed of Lynott, Gorham and Downey with Sex Pistols Jones and Cook, the single reached no. 28 in the UK
speedbird2639

Postby CJS on Thu 30 Nov 2017, 7:07 am

Brevet Cable wrote:
AndyXH558 wrote:There was a rock supergroup that did a Christmas single called the Greedy bastards. Phil lynott from Thin Lizzy and the sex pistols paul cook and steve jones.

Wasn't that also the name of the group ?

I think that's what he meant. Just missing a few commas to make it clearer. ;-)
"Forewarned is forearmed"
CJS

Postby G for George on Thu 30 Nov 2017, 8:13 pm

Me First and the Gimme Gimmes. NOFX, Bad Religion and Foo Fighters members doing punk rock covers of loads of famous songs.
G for George

Postby austinp on Fri 01 Dec 2017, 1:33 pm

Cream
austinp

Postby AndyXH558 on Fri 01 Dec 2017, 4:46 pm

yes thats what i was meaning. ok i missed a few things out ... oooops!!!!!!
AndyXH558

Postby MarkL on Fri 01 Dec 2017, 8:56 pm

Led Zeppelin, end of.
HTAFC
MarkL
UKAR Supporter

Postby speedbird2639 on Fri 01 Dec 2017, 10:32 pm

MarkL wrote:Led Zeppelin, end of.

Nah - for me a 'supergroup' would be some sort of musical combo where all/ most of the individual members had achieved major widely recognised success either individually or as part of other hugely successful acts. The Traveling Wilburys meet that criteria.

In my opinion Led Zep don't. Sure Jimmy Page had been in the Yardbirds but they hadn't been that successful - one LP in the top 20; other releases struggled. John Paul Jones was a proficient bassist but mainly as an uncredited session musician. Plant and Bonham had largely done nothing prior to Led Zep.

People usually cite Cream as being the textbook example of a supergroup but again I don't think it meets the criteria - sure Clapton was a massive star in the '60s but Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce were only known from their membership of the relatively unsuccessful Graham Bond Organisation.

Wiki has a list of supposed super groups - IMHO a lot of them are extremely debatable as often they consist of 1 famous person and a group of sessions/ garage band musicians/ mates.

Its fun to discuss though on these long cold winter evenings!
speedbird2639

Postby MarkL on Fri 01 Dec 2017, 10:54 pm

speedbird2639 wrote:
MarkL wrote:Led Zeppelin, end of.
In my opinion Led Zep don't. Sure Jimmy Page had been in the Yardbirds but they hadn't been that successful - one LP in the top 20; other releases struggled. John Paul Jones was a proficient bassist but mainly as an uncredited session musician. Plant and Bonham had largely done nothing prior to Led Zep.

But... for me it isn't the individuals, its the sum of the parts. LZ to me were magical. Something amazing happened when those guys got together.
HTAFC
MarkL
UKAR Supporter

Postby borismorris on Sat 02 Dec 2017, 8:52 am

I think thers a difference here between super group and supergroup.

LZ members were not really associated with much prior to LedZep end of.

Most bands have some lineage before their definitive line up.
You could argue for instance that Foo Fighters are a supergroup.

I mentioned further up this thread the Highwaymen. Seems perhaps no knows/cares/agrees.. but for me that is another definition of a supergroup.
borismorris

Postby aceyone on Sat 02 Dec 2017, 11:00 am

Humble Pie, if not the best,certainly one of the first !
Don't know about those jets ,they spoil a very nice place
aceyone

Postby neville on Sat 02 Dec 2017, 11:13 am

The Holy Trinity (Best, Law and Charlton)...
neville

Postby iainpeden on Sat 02 Dec 2017, 11:16 am

Without trawling back I don't think Jethro Tull, Deep Purple, Journey, Lynyrd Skynyrd or Alice Cooper have been mentioned.

So to turn it around a bit - which current bands will still be active and being seen by a younger generation not yet born - in 40 years time?
iainpeden

Postby psquiddy on Sat 02 Dec 2017, 11:24 am

which current bands will still be active and being seen by a younger generation not yet born - in 40 years time?

Hawkwind maybe - still going strong and with an increasingly youthful lineup.

They have always had a rotating lineup with Dave Brock the only constant member.

The changing lineup has meant a diverse back catalog taking in many different musical styles over the years and the latest tour and album were excellent.

So if it keeps going when Dave Brock retires, there is no reason why it cant move foreward with the same ethos.
Over 300 free things to do in London
http://www.toplondondaysout.co.uk
psquiddy

Postby Brevet Cable on Sat 02 Dec 2017, 1:53 pm

iainpeden wrote:which current bands will still be active and being seen by a younger generation not yet born - in 40 years time?

The Rolling Stones...still with the current line-up :lol:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby neville on Sat 02 Dec 2017, 3:00 pm

A supergroup comprises members who have found fame with a previous band, the title was first used about Crosby, Stills and Nash who all had previous

with famous bands. The majority on here were not famous before joining the band they had success with, which rules out pretty much all

of the previous suggestions including the likes of Zeppelin. On that basis you could include the original Jeff Beck Group consisting of Beck, Rod Stewart

and Ronnie Wood, but only Beck was known to a wider public at the time.

IMHO, there is only one other supergroup to compete with CSN/CSNY and that is The Travelling Wilburys, all members known and succesful in their own right.

Others come close, Asia but only 3/4 of them, likewise the 1980's incarnation of King Crimson, yet again only 3/4 of the members were widely known at the time.
neville

Postby vandal on Sun 03 Dec 2017, 9:19 pm

neville wrote:A supergroup comprises members who have found fame with a previous band, the title was first used about Crosby, Stills and Nash who all had previous

with famous bands. The majority on here were not famous before joining the band they had success with, which rules out pretty much all

of the previous suggestions including the likes of Zeppelin. On that basis you could include the original Jeff Beck Group consisting of Beck, Rod Stewart

and Ronnie Wood, but only Beck was known to a wider public at the time.

IMHO, there is only one other supergroup to compete with CSN/CSNY and that is The Travelling Wilburys, all members known and succesful in their own right.

Others come close, Asia but only 3/4 of them, likewise the 1980's incarnation of King Crimson, yet again only 3/4 of the members were widely known at the time.

If Phil Collins, Peter Gabriel and Mike Rutherford (Mike and the Mechanics) all got back together, would Genesis count? :grin:

Before reading this thread, the term Supergroup always made me think of the likes of Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, U2, Oasis - all acts that had no problems filling Stadiums.
vandal

Postby CJS on Mon 04 Dec 2017, 10:54 am

Of course the other oft discussed question is about that eternal supergroup up there in the heavens - who would you have in that??

Hendrix? Bowie? Garcia? Orbison? Sinatra? Cobain?

The list is pretty much endless, but I think mine might be:

David Bowie on vocals
Jimi Hendrix on lead guitar
John Entwhistle on bass
George Harrison on guitar
Tom Petty on another guitar :-)
Richard Wright on the keys
John Bonham on drums
CJS

Postby Brevet Cable on Mon 04 Dec 2017, 1:12 pm

Phil Lynott
Carl Perkins
Lemmy
Johnny Cash

:biggrin:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby G for George on Mon 04 Dec 2017, 6:48 pm

Jimi Hendrix on lead, Malcolm Young on rhythm, Dave Grohl on drums, Flea on bass, Freddie Mercury singing. Rick Wakeman on keys. Liam Gallagher on tambourine. Me on triangle.
G for George

Postby G for George on Mon 04 Dec 2017, 6:50 pm

Oops, some of mine aren't dead
G for George

Postby CJS on Mon 04 Dec 2017, 8:14 pm

Including, I presume, you :-P
CJS

Postby Spiny Norman on Mon 04 Dec 2017, 10:07 pm

CJS wrote:Of course the other oft discussed question is about that eternal supergroup up there in the heavens - who would you have in that??

As it's an aviation forum, you could have quite a good outfit from those who have died in aircraft accidents.

Buddy Holly
Patsy Cline
Otis Redding
John Denver

And of course, all kept in shape by Glenn Miller.
He's done another book. You're joking.
Spiny Norman

Postby G for George on Mon 04 Dec 2017, 10:26 pm

CJS wrote:Including, I presume, you :-P

Last time I checked :lol:
G for George

Postby AndyXH558 on Tue 05 Dec 2017, 11:50 am

my dead supergroup.

George Harrison, guitars and vocals.
Phil Lynott, bass and backing vocals