F1 2018

Re: F1 2018

Postby borismorris on Tue 06 Feb 2018, 12:57 pm

I've watched F1 since the early 80s and it holds nowhere near the same grip on me as it used to. Its just not the same spectacle it used to be.
Thinking of Piquet kicking Salazar, Rubens bawling his eyes out in Germany, Schuey trying to knock DC's helmet off.. The closest we've come to anything controversial lately is Seb giving Lulu the chop in Baku. The drivers aren't allowed to be charachters any more. That for me is as much the problem as the cars being nigh on impossible to overtake.
I actually prefer watching the Indycar or F2/ Gp3 races now..at least theres some drama.
borismorris

Postby pbeardmore on Tue 06 Feb 2018, 1:27 pm

When the tech development lead to physical developments, it did add excitement and a sense of the exotic: the Tyrrell six wheeler, the Brabham fan car etc, perfect for a schoolboy's poster.

But digital tech makes no visual difference, the cars look very very similar. Partly, I think due to the fact that aerodynamics is so well understood that all of the designs are very close to optimal.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”
pbeardmore

Postby Brevet Cable on Sat 10 Feb 2018, 3:05 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/43009816
Date of Japanese WEC round moved ( as it clashed with the US F1GP ) just so that Alonso can do both.
Wonder how long it'll be before Alonso bins F1 altogether?
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby borismorris on Sat 10 Feb 2018, 9:17 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/43009816
Date of Japanese WEC round moved ( as it clashed with the US F1GP ) just so that Alonso can do both.
Wonder how long it'll be before Alonso bins F1 altogether?

I'd say thats going to depend on how competitive the car is this year BC..

For the sake of bragging rights how do you see the Mclaren going this coming season?

Multiple podium appearances for ALO?

Wins?

Worse than the 2016 Honda ?
borismorris

Postby Brevet Cable on Sat 10 Feb 2018, 10:49 pm

It depends on how much messing around McLaren do.
By all accounts most of the problems they had with the Honda drivetrain was that instead of building a chassis to suit it, they opted to cram the drivetrain into a chassis which was too restrictive for it, hence why the drivetrain preformed perfectly for the bench tests but self-destructed in the car.
If they've learnt from that mistake I think they'll do well, as the chassis they produce are very good, as are the Renault engines.
I'd like to think there'll be at least a handful of podium finishes for both Alonso & Vandoorne, particularly on the tracks that Mercedes are weaker at, although I feel they'll have difficulty competing on a par with the 'big 3' this season ( especially if Mercedes & RBR find new ways to cheat :whistle: )
If the team have got their act together & Alonso's in the right frame of mind, I have a sneaky feeling he'll surprise people by getting a win.
Again depending on the other teams & how hard the fight is between them, I think he'll easily be in the top 10 at the end of the season & could possibly even be in the top 6.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby helired3 on Wed 14 Feb 2018, 6:05 pm

Ian Harris https://www.flickr.com/photos/133062485@N05/

Nikon D750
Nikon D7200
Sigma 500 F4.5
Tamron 150-600 G2
helired3

Postby ianf on Thu 15 Feb 2018, 9:38 pm

Victor XL231 Lusty Lindy, crew chief.
Our face book page. https://www.facebook.com/LustyLindy231/?ref=bookmarks
ianf

Postby Ian G on Fri 16 Feb 2018, 9:54 am

I feel ancient. I still remember the mighty FW15 and FW16 - to see they're on the FW41 now really makes me feel old!
Ian Garfield Photography Website!

Flickr Photostream

I should probably be working. Will work for doughnuts.
Ian G
UKAR Staff

Postby Brevet Cable on Fri 16 Feb 2018, 7:32 pm

Young whippersnapper !! ...... FW06 !! :lol:

Granted only a couple have been revealed so far, but they look a heck of a lot cleaner than last year's ones.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Ian G on Mon 19 Feb 2018, 11:46 am

Red Bull's car has been revealed.

Flickr Photostream

Ian G
UKAR Staff

Postby ianf on Tue 20 Feb 2018, 5:11 pm

Sauber and Renault unveil their cars.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/43129563

Mercedes and Ferrari unveil Thursday. Testing starts next Monday. I must say all the cars look better without the fin and T bars. whether this improves racing we will have to wait and see.
ianf

Postby Wes_Howes on Tue 20 Feb 2018, 6:27 pm

I just wish they'd do away with the floor at the rear of the cars, they would look much better.
Wes_Howes

Postby speedbird2639 on Tue 20 Feb 2018, 7:17 pm

Its my understanding that the teams like the floor like that as they use it to create downforce. Hence RedBull running withthe rear of the floor lifted higher than the front to try and create a low pressure region under the rear of the car.
speedbird2639

Postby Wes_Howes on Wed 21 Feb 2018, 8:15 am

Oh I understand what it's used for, it just spoils the lines of the cars IMO
Wes_Howes

Postby ianf on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 6:39 pm

Mercedes and Ferrari unveil there cars.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/43154296

For me I wish the front wings were made with a much simpler shape not all the wings we have today,and maybe just maybe that would allow cars to follow and hence be able to overtake.
ianf

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 7:43 pm

I was going to post the same thing!
All the shots I'd seen so far were either side-on or from above.....it's only when you see proper front-on shots that you realise how many different elements are stuck on them.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Ian G on Fri 23 Feb 2018, 12:13 pm

Well look at that thing on the front of the Red Bull!!

McLaren are going back to orange this year I see

Flickr Photostream

Ian G
UKAR Staff

Postby borismorris on Fri 23 Feb 2018, 1:56 pm

I see the McLaren is sporting a papaya colour scheme this season..

Lets hope its not another paw paw performer...

No...

:tumbleweed:

I'll get my coat...
borismorris

Postby Brevet Cable on Fri 23 Feb 2018, 2:05 pm

Thought the whole idea of painting the numbers on the sides of the cars was to make them clearly visible to enable easy identification ?
If so, McLaren may need to rethink theirs :lol:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby pbeardmore on Mon 26 Feb 2018, 10:17 am

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... rs-ferrari

Bernie Ecclestone urges Formula One to make bold switch to electric cars
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”
pbeardmore

Postby Ian G on Mon 26 Feb 2018, 11:13 am

Think I'll give this year a miss. . . . . :sick:

Flickr Photostream

Ian G
UKAR Staff

Postby wv383 on Mon 26 Feb 2018, 6:19 pm

Ian G wrote:Image

Think I'll give this year a miss. . . . . :sick:

If you swapped the colour schemes around between most of those you wouldn't know the difference. Gone are the days of innovation.
Simon
wv383

Postby speedbird2639 on Mon 26 Feb 2018, 6:45 pm

If you swapped the colour schemes around between most of those you wouldn't know the difference. Gone are the days of innovation.

You could say the same about airliners - how many modern airliners are not the standard twin jet with the engines slung under the low wing?

I assume that the rash of similarity in F1 is the result of a) a fairly tight set of rules and b) if you have engineers with access to enough wind tunnel information, within an established set of rules, they will all arrive at pretty much the same conclusion as all of the other options will have been discounted due to the testing/ computer modelling exposing some short coming.
speedbird2639

Postby Pen Pusher on Mon 26 Feb 2018, 7:02 pm

Fernando Alonso's car lost a wheel after just six laps in Spain.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/43195738

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
DfG on Facebook
Pen Pusher

Postby wv383 on Tue 27 Feb 2018, 12:05 am

speedbird2639 wrote:

You could say the same about airliners - how many modern airliners are not the standard twin jet with the engines slung under the low wing?

I assume that the rash of similarity in F1 is the result of a) a fairly tight set of rules and b) if you have engineers with access to enough wind tunnel information, within an established set of rules, they will all arrive at pretty much the same conclusion as all of the other options will have been discounted due to the testing/ computer modelling exposing some short coming.

Totally agree with you. The tightness of the regulations stifles any innovation.
Simon
wv383

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic