F1 2018

Re: F1 2018

Postby Ian G on Thu 01 Feb 2018, 9:19 pm

Anyone seen the new Formula E car?! :hypno:

Ian Garfield Photography Website!

Flickr Photostream

I should probably be working. Will work for doughnuts.
Ian G
UKAR Staff

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 01 Feb 2018, 9:20 pm

Hoh, hum...
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/134172/f1-announces-weekend-schedule-changes-for-18
Confirmed changes so far.....all races to start at ten-past, not on the hour.
All European races to start 1 hour later than they used to.
Various races having their starting times changed even more to avoid clashes with events such as chavball.

:facepalm:

Ian G wrote:Anyone seen the new Formula E car?! :hypno:

Now that's what the F1 cars need to look like ! :up:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby borismorris on Thu 01 Feb 2018, 9:23 pm

Thats what I was alluding to earlier in the thread.. but was too lazy to post a link or pic. Thanks..
Looks gnarly!!

I wonder if Liberty are mulling the idea of an elimination race..last car over the finish line every two laps is out.

Could be a novel way of spicing up Monaco! ;-)
borismorris

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 01 Feb 2018, 9:26 pm

Didn't Bernie already consider that idea a few years back?
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby ianf on Thu 01 Feb 2018, 10:21 pm

Brevet he did as I recall. stupid idea in my opinion. Talking of which some more ideas they have been talking about are these.

making the start time of European races an hour later in the hope of attracting a bigger audience - so a typical start would be 2pm in the UK, rather than 1pm
races to start at 10-past the hour rather than on it
Bahrain to become a full night race rather than start at twilight
improved engine sound from repositioned on-board microphones
make the cars look faster with different camera angles and static cameras
playing a soundtrack of music at occasional parts of the race
a highlights reel to play at regular intervals during the live broadcast
a potential deal with Netflix for behind-the-scenes footage.

Some make sense others clearly don't A soundtrack going on during a race!!! seriously who thought that gem up! Same with a highlights reel during the race. Why not improve the product to give us racing not gimmicks. I am lucky I watch sky and was genuinely surprised that they did it right, their coverage is superb, what it should be on free to air TV. However with folk watching TV on tablets and phones, They will never go back to free TV and F1 will go like boxing with smaller and smaller audiences.
Victor XL231 Lusty Lindy, crew chief.
Our face book page. https://www.facebook.com/LustyLindy231/?ref=bookmarks
ianf

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 01 Feb 2018, 11:20 pm

Someone had probably been watching old episodes of TG or TGT & thought "well it works for them" :lol:
The 10 minute later start is supposedly to help the broadcasters......now it can't just be the UK ones who have an hour or so pre-race run-up which is usually filled with pointless waffle & even more pointless grid-walks.
Still waiting for them to suggest having a 5 minute Safety Car/VSC session every half hour to bunch the field up and - more importantly - allow the broadcasters to fit in ad-breaks :biggrin:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby wv383 on Thu 01 Feb 2018, 11:36 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:Someone had probably been watching old episodes of TG or TGT & thought "well it works for them" :lol:
The 10 minute later start is supposedly to help the broadcasters......now it can't just be the UK ones who have an hour or so pre-race run-up which is usually filled with pointless waffle & even more pointless grid-walks.
Still waiting for them to suggest having a 5 minute Safety Car/VSC session every half hour to bunch the field up and - more importantly - allow the broadcasters to fit in ad-breaks :biggrin:

If they want to fit in ad breaks just stop the cars for five minutes every quarter of an hour! Oh hang on, why not just stop the cars all the time as different broadcasters will have ad breaks at different times! As for starting at ten past the hours rather than on the hours, what the hell difference does that ten minutes make? When Liberty took over I was really hopeful that they would improve things. Oh well, it looks as though gimmicks are the way to go! :mad:

Highlights reel during live coverage - I guess that's for the braindead with attention spans of a goldfish.
Music soundtrack during racing - WTF?
Different camera angles definitely - with the angles used currently they could be racing on any Tilke track anywhere as they all look the same. For years I have thought that, though speeds have been increasing, there is no impression of it at all which is down to the way it is shown.
On-board microphones to make the cars sound good? Come on. No matter what they do, the current cars will always sound like strangled ducks.

Having followed F1 since the 1960s, I have to agree with LN Strike Eagle. The way it is currently is hardly worth watching. The whole thing is an artficially manipulated mess.
Simon
wv383

Postby Ian G on Fri 02 Feb 2018, 12:40 pm

ianf wrote:improved engine sound from repositioned on-board microphones

Ian Garfield Photography Website!

Flickr Photostream

I should probably be working. Will work for doughnuts.
Ian G
UKAR Staff

Postby Brevet Cable on Fri 02 Feb 2018, 1:24 pm

And yet you never hear the Formula E brigade saying "We've got to do something about the engine noise of our cars to stop them sounding like angry midges" :lol:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby borismorris on Fri 02 Feb 2018, 3:58 pm

I quite like the formula e
milk float on crystal meth noise
borismorris

Postby Marathon Milkshake on Sat 03 Feb 2018, 12:02 am

One day in the not to distant future, F1 will drive up its own rectum, part way up already, not much further to go........
Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter
Marathon Milkshake

Postby borismorris on Sat 03 Feb 2018, 1:06 pm

A few things I wouldlike to see / return to F1....

* refuelling

* eradication of tarmac run off areas big enough to land a jet on.

* a complete overhaul of the calendar- bye bye to venues with little soul (Bore-rhain, Abu Dreari, etc..)

* on the back of that- a great rotation of tracks - i.e. circuits visited on a year on year off basis..

* A saturday sprint race with points for the top 6.

* mandatory running of THREE different tyre compounds

* an end of season prelude where all drivers complete a flying lap in a GT40 (or the like)..so the fans can see who the best drivers really are.

* A transparent, properly tiered prize money structure - no appearance money for Ferrari etc.
borismorris

Postby Brevet Cable on Sat 03 Feb 2018, 2:31 pm

* mandatory running of THREE different tyre compounds

I'm of the opposite opinion.
Go back to the old system of allowing each individual team to decide what tyre compound(s) they want to run each race - as opposed to the tyre manufacturer deciding which compounds it'll bring - and abolish compulsory pit-stops & forcing teams to use multiple compounds.
If a team wants to try and complete the race on just one set of tyres, let them.....ditto if they want to use just 'ultra-softs' ( or whatever they're calling them this season ) & have to make 4 or 5 pit-stops in a race.
Forced pit-stops are artificial & have spoilt a number of races since they were introduced...how many times have we heard on the team radio a driver essentially being told not to bother trying to catch the car in front as it's still got a compulsory pit-stop to do?
If you don't know if the car in front/behind you will be making a pit-stop, you're going to have to attack/defend just in case they don't.

* an end of season prelude where all drivers complete a flying lap in a GT40 (or the like)..so the fans can see who the best drivers really are.

Alternatively, more F1 weekends this season are featuring the Masters Historic F1 races as a support race ( including Silverstone ).....why not have a one-off race - even a sprint one - with the current F1 drivers? They could even do it before the season starts, during the pre-season testing at Barcelona.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby borismorris on Sat 03 Feb 2018, 5:17 pm

BC, My (twisted) logic behind the tyre idea is to inject a greater element of unpredictability into boring races..

The notion of a Trulli train type of race leaves me cold. A one or no stopper at Monaco for instance? Reminds me of DC stuck behind Enrique Bernoldi for the best part of what seemed like an Ice age..

You're right though..The outcome shouldn't be dictated by Pirelli.
So lets bin off the hard and mediums.

On the other idea: why not have a different vehicle for each race weekend then?
So long as it's not Smart cars around Spa.. :tumbleweed: :-O
borismorris

Postby Brevet Cable on Sat 03 Feb 2018, 6:52 pm

Michelin are supposed to be coming back ( don't know if others like Bridgestone are ) so that may make things more interesting if/when that happens.

My thinking behind the old F1 cars is that it'll separate the men from the boys & show which of them are proper drivers.....no electronic aids, no EMS which pretty much drive the cars for them, and the opportunity to embarrass themselves if they have to drive the old Honda turbos with a power-band of about 100 revs :lol:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Talldan76 on Sun 04 Feb 2018, 10:20 am

Give 'em a clutch pedal and a gear stick...

Take away all of the gimmicky driver aids.

Rip up the contracts with the PTV Channels, and put it back on mainstream TV.
Talldan76
UKAR Staff

Postby pbeardmore on Sun 04 Feb 2018, 1:30 pm

"Formula Analogue" - job done
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”
pbeardmore

Postby Reds Rolling on Sun 04 Feb 2018, 2:51 pm

LN Strike Eagle wrote:As for the TV deal, I think the British GP must remain on FTA TV under the new contract, but everything else will be highlights.

Yeah, I forgot that the British GP was going to remain FTA, although it will likely be on Sky's 'PICK' channel which is only in SD, and very poor SD at that.

Despite some poor presenting from CH4, at least we currently get everything including highlights in HD, which is VERY unlikely to continue when SKY get overall control in 2019. :down:
Reds Rolling

Postby pbeardmore on Mon 05 Feb 2018, 1:16 pm

There is a small moment in this classic 1981 documentary where, during testing with Alan Jones, they show an EPROM chip being removed from the engine management system to be re-burnt. This IMHO, signifies the beginning of the end for F1. When laptops began replacing spanners. When you look back a some of the classic F1 racing from the 50s,60's and 70s, who was thinking, "this is great but it would be so much better with digital tech"?

Digital offers nothing to the excitement of the race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KeulWo9JSQ
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”
pbeardmore

Postby Pen Pusher on Mon 05 Feb 2018, 5:49 pm

Formula 1 is to replace 'grid girls' with a new programme called 'grid kids' this season.

F1 bosses plan to use budding racing drivers "to make the pre-race ceremony more relevant and interesting for fans, especially the younger ones".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/42950040

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
DfG on Facebook
Pen Pusher

Postby Wes_Howes on Tue 06 Feb 2018, 7:20 am

pbeardmore wrote:There is a small moment in this classic 1981 documentary where, during testing with Alan Jones, they show an EPROM chip being removed from the engine management system to be re-burnt. This IMHO, signifies the beginning of the end for F1. When laptops began replacing spanners. When you look back a some of the classic F1 racing from the 50s,60's and 70s, who was thinking, "this is great but it would be so much better with digital tech"?

Digital offers nothing to the excitement of the race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KeulWo9JSQ

F1 isn't just about the racing, it's also about being the pinnacle of technological development. We have had many great races and even a couple of seasons where the racing has been entertaining. It's too simplistic to blame technology for the downward turn in close racing. The rules giving the car too much grip and being unable to follow closely has been far more frustrating than the lack of sound from the V6 turbo engines.
Wes_Howes

Postby speedbird2639 on Tue 06 Feb 2018, 9:04 am

I think F1 has basically sent itself up a deadend/ painted itself into a corner and it doesn't know how to get out. With the gradual rise of electric/ autonomous vehicles is a hydrocarbon fuelled car controlled by a computer really something that is going to capture the public's imagination anymore?

F1 could be the pinnacle of automotive development only for so long - then the cars became so ridiculously fast by the mid/late 1970s that artificial reductions to power and downforce had to be negotiated with each team trying to see what was the most they could agree to reduce by before it would harm them more than their competitors.

Now the F1 teams are huge businesses rather than a bunch of fellas who like to race cars at the weekend then there is always going to be conflicts of business interest and teams (Ferrari - I'm looking at YOU) threatening to pull out and start a breakaway formula of their own.

I've watched F1 on the tellybox for over 30 years but it seems that the nadir of my interest in what is happening in F1 is going to coincide with them disappearing behind a paywall and to be honest I don't mind. Since 50% of the races have moved to highlights only I've found I actually prefer it - I don't feel compelled to watch the race live so I choose to do something else more productive/ enjoyable with my Sunday and watch the race later. So going behind the paywall will just free up another 10 Sundays for me.

I think F1 has ceased to be something that exists in its own right on its own merit and has now just been subsumed into a giant marketing machine where having some sort of product placement (diamonds stuck onto F1 cars at Monaco :dizzy: ) and so that team principals can be seen hanging about in the pitlane with movie/sports stars. Its all become a bit too much of a mutual admiration society (ironically by people who freely admit they can't stand each other).

When Bernie was ousted we all thought this was going to be a new beginning and our cousins from the New World were going to 'make F1 great again!' - I think we can see already that its looking likely its going to descend into some sort of 'scripted reality' style nonsense, combining the worst elements from things such as Super Bowl and WWE, where people are famous for being famous.
speedbird2639

Postby pbeardmore on Tue 06 Feb 2018, 10:49 am

"F1 isn't just about the racing, it's also about being the pinnacle of technological development."

People don't tune in on a Sunday afternoon to watch the pinnacle of tech development. Most have zero interest in this. They want a good race. It's F1's decision to relentlessly go down the high tech route that has lead to this situation IMHO. If technology renders the racing dull, its a minus point, not a plus.
pbeardmore

Postby speedbird2639 on Tue 06 Feb 2018, 11:21 am

Agreed but with the teams having invested hundreds of millions of £ in these technologies and getting a vote on how any rule changes are applied I can't see the turkeys voting for Xmas.

F1 have one up a blind alley which is so narrow it is close to impossible for them to turn around and go in a different direction now so the only wiggle room the owners have is to tinker about at the edges with nonsense like 'grid kids' to replace the grid girls.
speedbird2639

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 06 Feb 2018, 12:20 pm

One change they've made/are making is the banning of car telemetry feeds to the pitlane....shame they didn't just ban it altogether by making it onboard-storage only ( so the team can only download it after the race has finished )
They should also have another rethink on pit-car comms & change it so that only traditional pitboard-type messages are allowed ( time difference to car ahead & behind, instruction to pit, etc. )
Better still, go back to proper pitboards with the only radio comms allowed being safety-related ( effectively limited to "stop immediately" / "retire the car" type messages )
After all, it's supposed to be the driver's job to drive the car, not the engineer/manager's.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic