F1 2018

Re: F1 2018

Postby Brevet Cable on Sun 01 Jul 2018, 2:24 pm

Ooops!
Obviously Mercedes' upgrades weren't a good idea.
Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Sun 01 Jul 2018, 2:43 pm

I think Max was happy :lol:
Unlike Hamilton.
Well done to Ferrari for not doing the anticipated swop.
And Alonso.... :clap:
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Ken Shabby on Sun 01 Jul 2018, 7:07 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:Well, today's GP has been occasionally interesting, mostly for non-racing incidents.
Other than that it's been the usual tyre-managing borefest.

Oh, I disagree. I thought the way Verstappen got into Raikkonen's slip stream on the pit straight, inches off his gearbox, before pulling out to just squeeze through and take the the lead at Turn 1 just five laps from the end was magnificent. And Hamilton and Vettel battling at close quarters for 10 laps before Vettel finally found a way past into Turn 3 was motor racing at its best.

Seriously, though, I thoroughly enjoyed how Ocon managed his Ultra Hard Mega Super Softs for sixth place at a circuit that really says it all about modern day F1 and which is the sporting equivalent of building a McDonalds on the site of a Cordon Bleu restaurant.

Well that's what I think.
Ken

I came here for a shoot-out right, a proper shoot-out, with some proper men.
Ken Shabby

Postby McG on Mon 02 Jul 2018, 11:45 am

Missed the race as I was at Old Warden yesterday. Saw a stat online that said this was the first time since 1955* that Merc have had both cars DNF in the same race. Merc looked as if they might have been starting to re-establish dominance after France and a strong showing in Austria until they decided to shoot themselves in the foot again. At least it will guarantee a title race for most of the summer while Merc and Ferrari take turns shooting each other in the foot.

*Yes I am aware that Merc have not raced in every season since 1955.
McG

Postby DrBenR on Mon 02 Jul 2018, 12:03 pm

McG wrote:Missed the race as I was at Old Warden yesterday. Saw a stat online that said this was the first time since 1955* that Merc have had both cars DNF in the same race..

Erm...Lewis and Nico had a little ding-dong at Barcelona in 2016 where both failed to finish in spectacular style :biggrin: Probably the 1st double DNF for mechanical failure for Mercedes. Can't recall both going out in a single race offhand.

Ben R
DrBenR

Postby Brevet Cable on Mon 02 Jul 2018, 12:11 pm

As it's a 3 weekend back-to-back, I hope Mercedes' issues continue. :whistle:
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby McG on Mon 02 Jul 2018, 1:04 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:As it's a 3 weekend back-to-back, I hope Mercedes' issues continue. :whistle:

Don't think they will tbh - the new Merc engine and aero package seemed to have put them back out front ahead of Ferrari and RBR. Also, Lewis seems to own Silverstone. A win this weekend would take him clear of Alain Prost with most wins at Silverstone - 6 and also make it 5 consecutive victories at Silverstone.
McG

Postby Brevet Cable on Mon 02 Jul 2018, 2:30 pm

Except that it's part of the new engine package which croaked on Sunday.
The pundits ( apart from Palmer ) were all saying Hamilton - and Mercedes in general - was going to walk it in Austria, and look what happened.

It's a pity next year's F1 isn't on free-to-air, as the mid-season will potentially be more interesting - 5 races in 6 weeks!
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby McG on Mon 02 Jul 2018, 2:40 pm

DrBenR wrote:
McG wrote:Missed the race as I was at Old Warden yesterday. Saw a stat online that said this was the first time since 1955* that Merc have had both cars DNF in the same race..

Erm...Lewis and Nico had a little ding-dong at Barcelona in 2016 where both failed to finish in spectacular style :biggrin: Probably the 1st double DNF for mechanical failure for Mercedes. Can't recall both going out in a single race offhand.

Ben R

Cheers, I wasn't quite sure of the accuracy of the stats I saw quoted.
McG

Postby borismorris on Wed 04 Jul 2018, 1:48 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:Except that it's part of the new engine package which croaked on Sunday.
The pundits ( apart from Palmer ) were all saying Hamilton - and Mercedes in general - was going to walk it in Austria, and look what happened.

It's a pity next year's F1 isn't on free-to-air, as the mid-season will potentially be more interesting - 5 races in 6 weeks!

I dont watch the races live anymore.. I catch up with them sometimes Sunday night more often Monday night. I dont pay for the coverage but I do get Martin & co. I also watch the F2 and gp3 through the same medium. :ninja:

To avoid the result I just stay off social media and only read stuff on non related sites. It's not really that hard.

Anyone wants to know please P.M. me..
borismorris

Postby Reds Rolling on Sat 07 Jul 2018, 11:57 am

Nasty crash for Hartley in FP3! :shock: Doesn't seem like the Red Bulls are going to do much this weekend barring the Mercs and Ferrari's all crashing out.
Reds Rolling

Postby ianf on Sun 08 Jul 2018, 9:25 am

Should be an interesting race today. Lewis did not have it his own way in qualifying, In fact it looked like the ferrari was the faster car. Indeed 6 of the top ten were ferrari powered. With Vettel suffering a sore neck will ferrari allow Kimi to lead as he has looked strong this weekend? I think tyres will play a big part with blistering likely, meaning more stops.
Victor XL231 Lusty Lindy, crew chief.
Our face book page. https://www.facebook.com/LustyLindy231/?ref=bookmarks
ianf

Postby borismorris on Sun 08 Jul 2018, 9:37 am

ianf wrote:Should be an interesting race today. Lewis did not have it his own way in qualifying, In fact it looked like the ferrari was the faster car. Indeed 6 of the top ten were ferrari powered. With Vettel suffering a sore neck will ferrari allow Kimi to lead as he has looked strong this weekend? I think tyres will play a big part with blistering likely, meaning more stops.

I think the higher than usual temps might be hurting Merc. Certainly is affecting the tyres. LeClerc looking handy for points again. He looked the real deal in f2 last season and is confirming that now.
Plenty of British talent coming through though.
borismorris

Postby Brevet Cable on Sun 08 Jul 2018, 12:11 pm

From the BBC website, it looks like Chan4 could continue free-to-air coverage next year.
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Adie1980 on Sun 08 Jul 2018, 12:17 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:From the BBC website, it looks like Chan4 could continue free-to-air coverage next year.

Got a link?
Attended Yeovilton Air Day 2018, RIAT 2018, FIA 2018 & Bournemouth Air Festival 2018
Adie1980

Postby Brevet Cable on Sun 08 Jul 2018, 12:39 pm

Apologies...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/44753980 ( despite it's title, scroll down & it's on there )
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Sun 08 Jul 2018, 1:11 pm

Ooops!! :lol:
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby ianf on Sun 08 Jul 2018, 2:51 pm

Brilliant recovery though last to 2nd! :clap: What ever they did to the Ferrari does work! Easily the fastest car.
ianf

Postby Brevet Cable on Sun 08 Jul 2018, 3:06 pm

Helped yet again by the safety cars, though, plus having one of the - if not the - fastest cars.
And yet again veiled claims from him that the Ferrari deliberately crashed into him :facepalm:

Strange decision ( again ) by Mercedes not to change tyres under the first safety car.
To be honest, it's Bottas I felt sorry for, he deserved better than 4th.
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Reds Rolling on Sun 08 Jul 2018, 3:14 pm

ianf wrote:Brilliant recovery though last to 2nd! :clap: What ever they did to the Ferrari does work! Easily the fastest car.

Indeed, a great drive considering his only fault was the poor initial start. Bottas put up a good show too.

Shame for Red Bull this weekend, they just don't have the power to keep up at tracks like this.
Reds Rolling

Postby ianf on Sun 08 Jul 2018, 3:27 pm

Not necceseraliy Brevet, He could have been questioning not being pitted, However Toto did suguest it may have happened, as it was Kimi I very much doubt it. I think they should have pitted botas, he was a sitting duck at the end. Fast car or not still has to be done, so great drive from him. The last 10 laps showed what may happen if these cars are ever robbed of the aero that stop them racing.
ianf

Postby Brevet Cable on Sun 08 Jul 2018, 4:13 pm

He ignored both Ferrari drivers post-race & his in post-podium interview he said ( whilst looking at them ) "Interesting tactics I would say from this side, but we'll do what we can to fight them and improve in next races."
This was picked up on by both the Chan4 & Radio 5 commentators who all said the same thing - that Hamilton was accusing Ferrari of deliberately trying to take him out of the race.
It's not the first time he's opened his mouth without engaging his brain & I wonder if he'll backtrack on what he said.
Hamilton cocked up his start ( not for the first time ) and got bounced....Kimi cocked up the corner & locked-up ( and admitted it was his fault ) which I'd have called as much a racing incident as the Grosjean-Sainz collision.

Nice to see a race that - for once - wasn't dominated by the drivers bothering with tyre management, though.
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby borismorris on Sun 08 Jul 2018, 8:17 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:He ignored both Ferrari drivers post-race & his in post-podium interview he said ( whilst looking at them ) "Interesting tactics I would say from this side, but we'll do what we can to fight them and improve in next races."
This was picked up on by both the Chan4 & Radio 5 commentators who all said the same thing - that Hamilton was accusing Ferrari of deliberately trying to take him out of the race.
It's not the first time he's opened his mouth without engaging his brain & I wonder if he'll backtrack on what he said.
Hamilton cocked up his start ( not for the first time ) and got bounced....Kimi cocked up the corner & locked-up ( and admitted it was his fault ) which I'd have called as much a racing incident as the Grosjean-Sainz collision.

Nice to see a race that - for once - wasn't dominated by the drivers bothering with tyre management, though.

First time I've seen a driver leave parc ferme before being interviewed since they started doing this..
I'm not going to lay in to Lulu.. its clear he was unhappy but he really does need to learn to conduct himself better.

Aside from that..quite an eventful race i'd say.
borismorris

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 19 Jul 2018, 1:45 pm

No big surprise, Hamilton's signed to stay with Mercedes until 2020.
After all, the only other team which could afford him ( or been prepared to pay silly money for him ) is Ferrari & they were highly unlikely to do so whilst Vettel's there.
Supposedly getting £40mil per year....I think that's still less than Alonso reportedly gets, isn't it?
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Fri 20 Jul 2018, 10:52 am

And following on from Hamilton, Bottas has re-signed with Mercedes for at least another year.
Guess he enjoys being their number 2 driver. :whistle:

Meanwhile, it looks like Ricciardo will be starting at the back of the grid this Sunday due to the silly penalties system for using too many replacement drivetrain components
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic