F1 2018

Re: F1 2018

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 18 Sep 2018, 11:28 am

If Latifi gets a seat in F1 next year then there really is no justice in the sport.

Has there been, in recent years?
When you think that he got his initial reserve/test driver position despite having a distinctly less than stellar track record in the various formulas he'd previously participated in, the step-up wouldn't be that much of a surprise - it depends what sort of a driver Stroll Senior wants to partner Junior.
To my mind, Perez isn't the best choice......Ocon would be better, or possibly even signing an older - more experienced & more reliable - driver would be the best option.
Ironically, that's said to be one of the reasons Sauber signed Kimi, to help develop the car & use as a benchmark to gauge how good ( or not ) Ericsson is.
Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby borismorris on Wed 19 Sep 2018, 12:28 pm

Who would I put ahead of Perez?
Plenty of the current crop. There's a good few drivers in F2 as well and I think JEV who's currently in F.E. deserved better. Sam Bird is another driver who seemingly hasn't had a shot at F1 because of budget.

There ought to be a mechanism built in where the top 2 in F2 are guaranteed a seat in F1. I'm not sure how that would work but perhaps the privateer teams would have a financial incentive provided by the F1 hierarchy to bring in these drivers.
borismorris

Postby TonyT on Wed 19 Sep 2018, 2:20 pm

I have it on Sky and my gripe is although each programme item is separate on the viewing menu, practice 1. 2. 3. pre qually, and qually if I want to record the JUST the qually, the box records all the other dross 1/2/3/pre too.

Same with the race If I want to JUST record the race it records the separate programmes Pre Race / Grid Walk / Post Race etc, none of which I want nor asked for, they are separate iems on the menu.

My other pet hate is money talks and we get really bad tracks that are just plain boring, Singapore for one, tries to be another Monaco but ends up like an illuminated course around a multi story carpark with concrete walls and a bland track. same with Abu Dubai, although better most of the track looks like it has been laid out in Tescos carpark.

As for Kimi, so they do not renew his contract for not performing, which basically is points, but his points count is lower than it could be because he follows team orders and either gives positions away to the petulant German or acts as a rear gunner for him. strange situation in that he is third in the points, could have been higher but for team orders, which are ruining the sport.

My fix to make it more exciting, remove all team radio messages from the pit to the driver, radio to the race controllers only and monitored to check for infringement, go back to pit boards and ditch team orders. If the team need him to stop because of problems, fit a warning light in the cockpit.
TonyT

Postby borismorris on Tue 25 Sep 2018, 12:42 pm

Antonio Giovanazzi in at Sauber. See ya later Ericsson.
borismorris

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 25 Sep 2018, 2:26 pm

They're hedging their bets by keeping ME as 'third driver', though.
Wonder how much the decision to give AG the drive is an astute choice by Sauber ( see how good he is compared to Kimi ) and how much of it was down to Ferrari?
Probably give Dan Ticktum something else to bitch about....assuming he can find the time in between bitching about getting beaten by Mick Schumacher, that is. :lol:
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby borismorris on Tue 25 Sep 2018, 4:58 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:They're hedging their bets by keeping ME as 'third driver', though.
Wonder how much the decision to give AG the drive is an astute choice by Sauber ( see how good he is compared to Kimi ) and how much of it was down to Ferrari?
Probably give Dan Ticktum something else to bitch about....assuming he can find the time in between bitching about getting beaten by Mick Schumacher, that is. :lol:

To be fair to Ticktum the upturn in Micks results is "interesting" - MS did not look like a series champion at the mid point- nowhere near.

GIO should inject a bit of excitement into the midfield anyway. He's always somewhere between quick and wild. :lol:

I think for the sake of the championship we could do with a Vettel win this weekend.
borismorris

Postby McG on Tue 25 Sep 2018, 5:46 pm

I think for the sake of the championship we could do with a Vettel win this weekend.

6 races left. 150 points maximum that can be won. Lewis needs 111 points for the title. If Lewis wins this weekend, he can then finish second in every remaining race and still win the title. The pressure on Vettel and Ferrari is huge now - they need to win at least 5 races and hope Lewis finishes outside top 2 in one and Vettel takes 2nd in that race to win the title.

Given his consistency this season, I think we are looking at Lewis becoming a 5 time champion.
McG

Postby borismorris on Tue 25 Sep 2018, 6:03 pm

McG wrote:

6 races left. 150 points maximum that can be won. Lewis needs 111 points for the title. If Lewis wins this weekend, he can then finish second in every remaining race and still win the title. The pressure on Vettel and Ferrari is huge now - they need to win at least 5 races and hope Lewis finishes outside top 2 in one and Vettel takes 2nd in that race to win the title.

Given his consistency this season, I think we are looking at Lewis becoming a 5 time champion.

Its not inconceivable that HAM has a couple of DNFs. An engine failure of some sort is surely more likely towards the end of the season. It's equally likely he could find himself in the hedge somewhere -Interlagos has a habit of doing that for instance.
There's a lot of points to win (or lose) yet. I'd keep the bubbly on ice just for the time being.
borismorris

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 25 Sep 2018, 6:07 pm

borismorris wrote:To be fair to Ticktum the upturn in Micks results is "interesting" - MS did not look like a series champion at the mid point- nowhere near.

Maybe Ticktum should stop crashing into other people..... :whistle: :biggrin:
And given his previous antics, he knows all about cheating )
It looks more like a case of the team improving ( or some may say cheating ) than just MS, as his team-mate has also improved.

Not exactly got a winning record there, unfortunately.
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Sat 29 Sep 2018, 10:34 am

Haas lineup unchanged for next season.
Kvyat back at Toro Rosso.

Unsurprisingly, Mercedes fastest in this morning's practice session.
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Reds Rolling on Sat 29 Sep 2018, 11:19 am

borismorris wrote:
McG wrote:

Its not inconceivable that HAM has a couple of DNFs. An engine failure of some sort is surely more likely towards the end of the season. It's equally likely he could find himself in the hedge somewhere -Interlagos has a habit of doing that for instance.
There's a lot of points to win (or lose) yet. I'd keep the bubbly on ice just for the time being.

You haven't mentioned the chance of a bit of rain though. Any of the wet stuff and we're more likely to see Vettel just drive into a wall again! :grin:
Reds Rolling

Postby Brevet Cable on Sat 29 Sep 2018, 12:48 pm

If you haven't already seen/heard the first 2 Quali sessions.....don't bother! :tumbleweed:
Too many drivers ( in Q2 especially ) not bothering to run, or not trying very hard if they did run, due to the crap tyre options.....it's a ridiculous situation when drivers are deliberately trying NOT to get into the top 10.
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Robin on Sat 29 Sep 2018, 2:23 pm

Did I see a couple of brief flashes of a 'Russian Knight' during the chit-chat walkabout.
Per Ardua ad Astra
Robin

Postby ianf on Sat 29 Sep 2018, 5:03 pm

No it was the swifts with there 29s. Well done Valteri pleased for him. Apparently Kimi has said he is racing for himself now, will he obey team orders in future. I also agree with Brevet what a farce the second qualify was.
Victor XL231 Lusty Lindy, crew chief.
Our face book page. https://www.facebook.com/LustyLindy231/?ref=bookmarks
ianf

Postby Brevet Cable on Sat 29 Sep 2018, 5:41 pm

There's something seriously wrong with the system when a third of the drivers in Q2 don't even bother trying.
Maybe time to bin the current tyre rule and allow the drivers to start on whetever option they want, and change it so that only the Constructors are hit by penalties for using too many componants?
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby McG on Sat 29 Sep 2018, 10:19 pm

Did Kimi only get 1 run in Q3?

Saw something on twitter about Ferrari leaving it too late to get him out the garage to start his flying lap before the flag dropped.
McG

Postby McG on Sat 29 Sep 2018, 10:21 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:There's something seriously wrong with the system when a third of the drivers in Q2 don't even bother trying.
Maybe time to bin the current tyre rule and allow the drivers to start on whetever option they want, and change it so that only the Constructors are hit by penalties for using too many componants?

Some of the better races have come about due to teams and drivers ending up on different strategies.

I would say bin the hyper soft as a race tyre, but have it as a quali tyre. Teams get 2 sets per driver.
McG

Postby Brevet Cable on Sun 30 Sep 2018, 7:01 am

Under the current rules, you have the ridiculous situation where you are effectively penalised for qualifying in the top 10.
Hence yesterday you had the ludicrous situation at the start of 2Q where the Renaults knew they if they didn't run they would automatically qualify 11th & 12th and therefore have the choice of which tyres to use ( their excuse that they didn't run to save sets of tyres was nonsense )
Not the first time teams have deliberately not made it through to 3Q for the same reason.
Hence why the current stupid rule should be binned.
That way you're more likely to see different tyre strategies being used.
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Sun 30 Sep 2018, 11:03 am

Hmmm.......rain! :biggrin:
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Sun 30 Sep 2018, 11:27 am

Mad Max enjoying his birthday so far, by the sounds of things.... :biggrin:
( And it's only taken him 8 laps, so does that mean he's a better driver than LH :whistle: )
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Reds Rolling on Sun 30 Sep 2018, 11:41 am

This has actually been an exciting race so far! :clap:
Reds Rolling

Postby Brevet Cable on Sun 30 Sep 2018, 11:51 am

Unless you're a Toro Rosso fan.
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Reds Rolling on Sun 30 Sep 2018, 12:01 pm

I'm a fan of good racing and we've had that today, although unsurprisingly tactics have now come into play.
Reds Rolling

Postby Brevet Cable on Sun 30 Sep 2018, 12:04 pm

Team orders :roll:
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Reds Rolling on Sun 30 Sep 2018, 12:06 pm

I expected it at some point, but Vettel had already thrown his advantage away.
Reds Rolling

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic