F1 2018

Re: F1 2018

Postby Brevet Cable on Sun 30 Sep 2018, 12:14 pm

At least FI are doing it properly.

Hopefully Merc will do the decent thing, not holding my breath though.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Sun 30 Sep 2018, 12:44 pm

Methinks VB didn't sound like a very happy bunny.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby McG on Sun 30 Sep 2018, 12:48 pm

Was switching between the F1 and Ryder Cup so missed Merc telling Bottas to let Hamilton through. Bit surprised as before that Lewis was catching Bottas and looked like he could get passed on his own.
Can understand why they didn’t switch back given the championship situation.
McG

Postby McG on Sun 30 Sep 2018, 12:56 pm

The interviews were interesting. Neither Merc driver seemed too enamoured with the situation.
McG

Postby Reds Rolling on Sun 30 Sep 2018, 12:57 pm

Hamilton didn't exactly seem overjoyed at having the win handed to him, and personally I think Bottas should have been allowed the place back at the end.

That said, Vettel was ahead of Hamilton after the pit stop and threw it away, so things could have turned out differently if he'd kept the place.

Great drive from Max, and I would have loved him to have won or at least got a podium place. He deserved something today.
Reds Rolling

Postby Brevet Cable on Sun 30 Sep 2018, 1:06 pm

Yep, fair play to Hamilton, he did sound somewhat embarrassed by it.

Bottas didn't sound too happy when he was told to let Hamilton pass, and from the comms towards the end I got the impression he thought Merc would instruct Hamilton to swap back as Vettel was way back.

As for Vettel, he didn't exactly sound too bothered about losing again.....kind of confirms the impression that he's already given up on this year's championship, doesn't it?
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby McG on Sun 30 Sep 2018, 1:25 pm

I’d agree with that about Vettel appearing to have given up the fight. Even on a day when Ferrari get their strategy call right with Vettel to get him ahead of Lewis, the pressure of the title fight causes another small error from Vettel that allows Lewis to get back in front and Merc to get a 1-2.
McG

Postby ianf on Sun 30 Sep 2018, 2:55 pm

Not the way Lewis wanted this, he looked very embarrassed over it. Morally it was Bottas win. I've never seen a so down beat team, when they win a 1-2. Ironically the only person who said this was the right way to go was Vettel. Bottas said in interview after he took one for the team, and would again, to ensure Mercedes won both titles fair play to him. I hope he gets payback at some point.

The stupid grid penalty's robbed us of an even better race, as I believe Red Bull would have beaten Ferrari and challenged Mercedes today. The penalties are supposed to stop rich teams using unlimited engines to save cost. Truth is it isn't hitting the big teams it is hurting the customer teams. The penalties should be on the teams not the drivers.

Max proved once again he is box office, when he gets a car on a par with the big two we will see some fun.
Victor XL231 Lusty Lindy, crew chief.
Our face book page. https://www.facebook.com/LustyLindy231/?ref=bookmarks
ianf

Postby Brevet Cable on Sun 30 Sep 2018, 5:10 pm

I think the 2 photos on the BBC F1 page say it all....
ImageImage
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby toom317 on Sun 30 Sep 2018, 6:34 pm

I thought all this team orders stuff was stopped years ago after David Coulthard won a race on the last lap, after his team mate was told to let him past?
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.
toom317
UKAR Supporter

Postby Brevet Cable on Sun 30 Sep 2018, 6:49 pm

They changed the rules back a couple of years ago to make team orders legal again......in the main because there was so much blatant ignoring of the 'no team orders' rule.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby toom317 on Mon 01 Oct 2018, 11:53 am

Thanks for the info Brevet, I stopped watching F1 years ago. I wonder if the bookies paid out on the 2nd placed guy as a win, as they did on the David Coulthard incident.
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.
toom317
UKAR Supporter

Postby Brevet Cable on Mon 01 Oct 2018, 12:33 pm

The interesting thing will be what happens next season, because one of Liberty Media's plans is to make deals with various betting companies.

And in other news, yet again they're potentially involving in more 'deckchair shuffling' to try and make things more interesting.....surprise, surprise, qualifying again. :facepalm:
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/139075/f1-could-get-new-qualifying-format-for-2019
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby borismorris on Mon 01 Oct 2018, 3:16 pm

Here's a fix for the qualifying fiasco.

One run per session for each car.

For Q1 & Q2
Cars split in to two groups (1 of each constructor) to alieviate the congested track issue and to minimise drivers having their laps compromised by slower cars.

One set of tyres for first two sessions and one set for q3 (& q4 if deemed nescesary).

Then, either all cars start on their qualifying tyres or none.

This business of starting the race in p11 on fresh rubber penalises the likes of Haas, Sauber who make it to Q3 but are only ever going to be fighting for P7 under normal circumstances.
borismorris

Postby blackcat on Mon 01 Oct 2018, 3:22 pm

How about 2 races on race day 1 hour long each,,Second Race being reverse Grid from race one Results,..

At least the second Race would be full of Over taking,

Mark.
blackcat

Postby Brevet Cable on Sat 06 Oct 2018, 7:07 am

Well, that was an utter farce of a qualifying session.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby McG on Sat 06 Oct 2018, 7:24 am

After the latest Ferrari strategy shambles, they would be as well just giving Merc the two titles and not turn up for the remaining races.
McG

Postby ianf on Sat 06 Oct 2018, 7:37 am

Not really a farce Brevet just one team got it wrong... again! Why do they continue to make such poor judgement calls? That said they did actually have one set of runs that should have competed and both drivers blew it. Pressure telling?
Victor XL231 Lusty Lindy, crew chief.
Our face book page. https://www.facebook.com/LustyLindy231/?ref=bookmarks
ianf

Postby Brevet Cable on Sat 06 Oct 2018, 8:08 am

Hence why I said it was an utter farce.
Is it going to rain? How much? Let's go out on inters....oops, wrong choice. Let's go out on slicks....oops, wrong choice again because it's raining.
Ferrari seem to have made a habit of this over the years, and presumably it'll result in the usual bout of sackings but nothing will be learnt.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby McG on Sat 06 Oct 2018, 8:24 am

You probably need to go back to the Ross Brawn era to when Ferrari wouldn’t make the sort of strategic blunders they have this season.
McG

Postby F575 on Sat 06 Oct 2018, 8:17 pm

ianf wrote:Not really a farce Brevet just one team got it wrong... again! Why do they continue to make such poor judgement calls? That said they did actually have one set of runs that should have competed and both drivers blew it. Pressure telling?

It's always been the way when Ferrari is run by the Italians! :lol: When Brawn, Todt, Byrne and the others where running the ship it was a far more well oiled machine than it is now.
F575

Postby Brevet Cable on Sun 07 Oct 2018, 9:55 am

Today's race was more interesting than I thought it was going to be, if only because of mistakes by various people ( and Max's car turning magnetic again :lol: )
Stewards seemed a bit trigger-happy when it came to dishing out time-penalties ( one of which I don't feel was deserved ) in the early stages of the race, but failing to award one for a similar excursion later in the race.

Interesting that Ferrari didn't order their drivers to swap positions, or did they think it wasn't worth it because they knew Kimi wouldn't slow down enough to do so?

Oh, and as this is one of the few races this season that I've managed to watch, I think I've sussed why Hamilton's always moaning on the radio that there's something wrong with his car.....he did it again today ( in between bouts of setting fastest laps ) and Bottas suddenly dropped back another 4 seconds or so like a good little No2 driver should. :whistle:
Let's see if I get a bite - and a lot of frothing - from Wes_Howes for that comment
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby McG on Sun 07 Oct 2018, 3:28 pm

The pressure on Ferrari and Vettel for Austin now is huge. They need to make sure Lewis doesn’t outscore them by 9 points, otherwise the title is over - ie if Lewis wins, Seb needs to finish 2nd.
McG

Postby Brevet Cable on Sun 07 Oct 2018, 3:43 pm

Even without cock-ups by Vettel and/or Ferrari I think it's safe to say that Hamilton will win the WDC at Austin, going by results there in recent years.
Bottas may not be in the same class as Rosberg was as a driver, but he's got the advantage of having a faster car & Mercedes are less prone to mucking things up than Ferrari are.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby McG on Tue 09 Oct 2018, 5:43 pm

Interesting stat posted by Merc on Twitter today:

https://twitter.com/mercedesamgf1/statu ... 95168?s=21
McG

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic