F1 2018

Re: F1 2018

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 10 Oct 2018, 8:10 am

Another interesting statistic mentioned on one of Radio 5's F1 preview shows recently is that if the current points structure had been in place back then, Nigel Mansell would have been a 5-times WDC.
( Not bothered checking it, but you'd assume their researchers ensured that was correct )

Maybe it's just me, but this is one thing motorsports doesn't need : https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/45802348
A new women-only motorsport series has been launched in an attempt to find potential female Formula 1 stars.

W Series will start in 2019 and is backed by a number of major F1 names, including 13-time grand prix winner David Coulthard and Red Bull design chief Adrian Newey.

Funnily enough, as it quotes in the article, female former motorsports competitors such as Michele Mouton & Susie Wolff disagree with it.

You'd have thought that the likes of Coulthard & Newey know full well that these days the biggest impediment to getting an F1 drive isn't gender, it's money.

And whilst I've disagreed with some of what he's said previously, a sensible article by Jolyon Palmer about driver penalties these days : https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/45802666
( Please, BBC -- bin the extremely biased Andrew Benson & replace him with Palmer ! )
Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby McG on Wed 10 Oct 2018, 9:23 am

Brevet,

I’d agree with you about the biggest impediment to F1 being money.
How many young females who are good drivers in karting / junior series find their sponsorship dries up as they try to move through the lower formulas?
McG

Postby Brevet Cable on Fri 12 Oct 2018, 3:40 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/45831954
George Russell will become the third British driver in Formula 1 next year after signing to race for Williams.

The 20-year-old, a Mercedes protege and leader of this year's Formula Two championship, has secured what Williams describe as a "multi-year contract".
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby rockfordstone on Mon 15 Oct 2018, 11:30 am

Brevet Cable wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/45831954
George Russell will become the third British driver in Formula 1 next year after signing to race for Williams.

The 20-year-old, a Mercedes protege and leader of this year's Formula Two championship, has secured what Williams describe as a "multi-year contract".

Great news for Brits in F1. It's a shame he's been moved to a team which is worse than useless.
rockfordstone

Postby borismorris on Wed 17 Oct 2018, 5:36 pm

Might as well post this in here...

Pascal Wehrlein has jumped ship into Formula E.
Stoffel Vandoorne has followed him too.
Felipe Massa was announced months ago.
Now hearing that Gary Paffett has also signed up.

How long before F.E. becomes the new pinnacle of motor racing?
borismorris

Postby Domvickery on Wed 17 Oct 2018, 6:51 pm

borismorris wrote:Might as well post this in here...

Pascal Wehrlein has jumped ship into Formula E.
Felipe Massa was announced months ago.

Have you ever watched a race? Mikey mouse racing at its finest, it wont be the pinnacle until they get rid of the gimmicks, car swaps fan boost etc
Inventor of the baguette scale
Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 17 Oct 2018, 7:15 pm

borismorris wrote:Pascal Wehrlein has jumped ship into Formula E.

To be honest, how many of those ( excluding Massa ) stood any realistic chance of getting an F1 drive over the next season or two?

FE may have close racing, but performance-wise it's more akin to the lower classes of Formula Ford or whatever the equivalent is these days ( from what I recall, 0-60 in about 4 seconds & around 130-140mph, aren't they? )
In my opinion they need to get another 30mph or so out of them.

Domvickery wrote:Have you ever watched a race? Mikey mouse racing at its finest, it wont be the pinnacle until they get rid of the gimmicks, car swaps fan boost etc

Unless I'm mistaken, the car swaps ( and therefore pit-stops ) are being binned for next season.
As for gimmicks such as 'fan boost', that's been mooted in the past for F1......in fact, I seem to recall it's been suggested again since the new owners took over.
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 18 Oct 2018, 4:10 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/45905584
Sergio Perez staying with Force India for the 2019 season
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby borismorris on Thu 18 Oct 2018, 4:53 pm

I totally agree with getting rid of fan boost.Almost always the same drivers get the vote and really the brand doesn't need it to improve the spectacle.

F1 has gimmicks doesn't it?
Pink tyres, DRS...

How many drivers in F.E. would've made it in F1?
Impossible to say really isn't it?

Wehrlein, Massa, Piquet Jr, Heidfeld, Glock, DiGrassi, Trulli, Buemi, Gasli, Guttierrez, Senna, Sato, Liuzzi, Kobiashi, Verne.. Theres more I'm sure... How many of those guys had a competitive package in F1 though?

Then theres the likes of Rosenqvist, Bird and Ollie Rowland that really should've had a chance in F1..
In the days when F1 had pre qualifying and a grid of 26 cars, young drivers had every chance of making it on ability alone.

I'm not so sure F1 can claim to still be at the top of the food chain. It may have (some) of the best drivers in the world but the performance of the machinery is so massively skewed in the favour of the big manufacturers that it seems like it was years ago we last had a Pole Position from outside the current top 3 teams (Just once in the last 6 seasons).

Oh, and the racing in F1 is seldom as exciting as the support races.
borismorris

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 18 Oct 2018, 9:12 pm

That's been one of the problems with getting an F1 for years, though.
Some never get there, some only get as far as a mid-field/back-marker team & occasionally you'll get one ( like Hamilton ) who gets picked up & nurtured by one of the big teams very early in their career.
Otherwise, especially these days, unless they bring a lot of money/sponsorship with them ( or daddy buys them a team :lol: ) the chances of a driver progressing from a lower team to a top team is pretty slim.

F1 being overshadowed by support races?... looking at next season, that may happen with FE when they introduce the Jaguar i-Pace series. :biggrin:
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Aviation94 on Fri 19 Oct 2018, 10:33 pm

It's not over until the fat lady sings but with the news that Vettel will have a grid penalty on Sunday and the pace of the Mercedes in FP 1 & 2 I'd say the championship race is over (If a miracle happens on Sunday I may eat my words!). It's a shame really that the second half of this season hasn't been that close with silly mistakes from Ferrari (and result fixing by Mercedes - cough cough Russia cough cough). I just hope 2019 will see a closer battle throughout the entire season.
Canon 650d, Sigma 70-300mm, Kenko 1.4 dgx mc4 tc

Youtube: http://ow.ly/zhAed
Aviation94

Postby Brevet Cable on Sat 20 Oct 2018, 12:16 pm

If only F1 was as interesting as the various IMSA Sports Car series.
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby F575 on Sat 20 Oct 2018, 8:04 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:If only F1 was as interesting as the various IMSA Sports Car series.

Petit Le Mans was a superb race, honestly can't go wrong with GT & Sportscar racing (though the less said about Toyota and the WEC the better...)

Used to be a massive F1 fan but in recent years I hardly even check the results these days let alone watch them. It's just missing that little spark to make it interesting once again, maybe if they got rid of DRS for starters.
F575

Postby Brevet Cable on Sat 20 Oct 2018, 9:09 pm

Listening to the IMSA radio station again last night, where they were repeating last week's sportscar races.
The final races of the season which still went down to the wire with most of the championships being undecided until the last laps.
Maybe F1 could take a leaf out of their books & run the races on a time basis instead of a fixed number of laps, plus introduce a similar time-penalty system to theirs.
More importantly, it's also free-to-air on-line ( which presumably won't change next season with Sky having lost the broadcast contract ) and they seem to realise that the fans are important.
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Sun 21 Oct 2018, 6:24 pm

:roll:
Ferrari possibly regretting which driver's leaving?
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby ianf on Sun 21 Oct 2018, 7:52 pm

Best race of the year ! good result no one certain till the end. and a good dice between verstapan and Lewis.
Victor XL231 Lusty Lindy, crew chief.
Our face book page. https://www.facebook.com/LustyLindy231/?ref=bookmarks
ianf

Postby Aviation94 on Sun 21 Oct 2018, 7:58 pm

That's more like it. Fantastic race! I have to say I think there's a definite future world championship winner in Max Verstappen!

Aviation94

Postby Brevet Cable on Sun 21 Oct 2018, 8:34 pm

And in my opinion, the right driver won.
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Reds Rolling on Sun 21 Oct 2018, 8:58 pm

Good race, and great to see three drivers from three different teams battling it out at the front for once.

Epic drive from Max to get 2nd, and a well deserved win for Kimi. :clap:
Reds Rolling

Postby Brevet Cable on Sun 21 Oct 2018, 11:06 pm

Having listened to it on the radio, I have one big question.........
.......did Kimi actually smile ?
Oh, hang on, that's a stupid question, isn't it -- 'course he didn't!! :lol:
( From what I heard of the post-race interviews, Kimi's comments were along the lines of "Meh, so what, it's not the first time I've won" )

Not that it affects the front-runners, but from what they've been saying on the radio there could be a number of changes in the lower-order places due to various irregularities - using too much fuel & stuff like that.
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby 5944 on Mon 22 Oct 2018, 3:44 pm

https://youtu.be/QaWjQFy57m4

Neeeow. Neow neow neow!

Postby Aviation94 on Mon 22 Oct 2018, 4:09 pm

5944 wrote:https://youtu.be/QaWjQFy57m4

Neeeow. Neow neow neow!

This cracked me up yesterday. For a second I had to double check it wasn't someone in my household messing around!

Aviation94

Postby Brevet Cable on Fri 26 Oct 2018, 4:03 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:...from what they've been saying on the radio there could be a number of changes in the lower-order places due to various irregularities - using too much fuel & stuff like that.

Further to this --
Both Magnussen & Ocon both disqualified due to fuel irregularities.
Magnussen because he exceeded the 105kg fuel use limit by 170g.
Ocon because during the first lap, for one single brief moment his fuel supply exceeded the allowed 100Kg/hr limit ( despite the fact that over the whole lap it averaged less than the limit )

And they wonder why people think F1 rules have turned it into a farce.
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby borismorris on Fri 26 Oct 2018, 5:21 pm

It's a tricky one this BC.

On one hand the teams know what the can and can't do but on the other how much difference in either instance did it make..

I guess with MAG that fuel ammount would equate to a few hundred metres.

We've seen penalties in FE for overuse of the power limit.

I'm just a little suprised that the teams dont have a margin built in to prevent this happening.

In other news
A RIC win this weekend?
borismorris

Postby Brevet Cable on Fri 26 Oct 2018, 6:43 pm

With Ocon, it's reported to have been a software glitch which automatically corrected itself & didn't re-occur, nor did it have any effect on his position at the time.

With Mag, it's an illustration of the daft situation of having the pitwall crew effectively doing everything for the driver short of actually driving the car, which means they're pretty much reliant on the pitwall crew giving them accurate information.
As Palmer said on R5 yesterday, back when they had the ban on radio comms, the driver had - and had to use - a setting which allowed them to check things like fuel flow, usage & amount remaining.

That raises the usual questions....
Should a driver be penalised for something beyond their control, or should just the team be punished ( fines, losing Constructors Championship points ) ?
More importantly, as F1 still claims to be the peak of technology, should they really have restrictions which stifle performance?

It's bad enough that the current tyres are ruining races.

Ric?
I'd be more inclined to say Max. :biggrin:
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic