F1 2018

Re: F1 2018

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 10 Oct 2018, 8:10 am

Another interesting statistic mentioned on one of Radio 5's F1 preview shows recently is that if the current points structure had been in place back then, Nigel Mansell would have been a 5-times WDC.
( Not bothered checking it, but you'd assume their researchers ensured that was correct )

Maybe it's just me, but this is one thing motorsports doesn't need : https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/45802348
A new women-only motorsport series has been launched in an attempt to find potential female Formula 1 stars.

W Series will start in 2019 and is backed by a number of major F1 names, including 13-time grand prix winner David Coulthard and Red Bull design chief Adrian Newey.

Funnily enough, as it quotes in the article, female former motorsports competitors such as Michele Mouton & Susie Wolff disagree with it.

You'd have thought that the likes of Coulthard & Newey know full well that these days the biggest impediment to getting an F1 drive isn't gender, it's money.

And whilst I've disagreed with some of what he's said previously, a sensible article by Jolyon Palmer about driver penalties these days : https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/45802666
( Please, BBC -- bin the extremely biased Andrew Benson & replace him with Palmer ! )
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby McG on Wed 10 Oct 2018, 9:23 am

Brevet,

I’d agree with you about the biggest impediment to F1 being money.
How many young females who are good drivers in karting / junior series find their sponsorship dries up as they try to move through the lower formulas?
McG

Postby Brevet Cable on Fri 12 Oct 2018, 3:40 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/45831954
George Russell will become the third British driver in Formula 1 next year after signing to race for Williams.

The 20-year-old, a Mercedes protege and leader of this year's Formula Two championship, has secured what Williams describe as a "multi-year contract".
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby rockfordstone on Mon 15 Oct 2018, 11:30 am

Brevet Cable wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/45831954
George Russell will become the third British driver in Formula 1 next year after signing to race for Williams.

The 20-year-old, a Mercedes protege and leader of this year's Formula Two championship, has secured what Williams describe as a "multi-year contract".

Great news for Brits in F1. It's a shame he's been moved to a team which is worse than useless.
rockfordstone

Postby borismorris on Wed 17 Oct 2018, 5:36 pm

Might as well post this in here...

Pascal Wehrlein has jumped ship into Formula E.
Stoffel Vandoorne has followed him too.
Felipe Massa was announced months ago.
Now hearing that Gary Paffett has also signed up.

How long before F.E. becomes the new pinnacle of motor racing?
borismorris

Postby Domvickery on Wed 17 Oct 2018, 6:51 pm

borismorris wrote:Might as well post this in here...

Pascal Wehrlein has jumped ship into Formula E.
Felipe Massa was announced months ago.

Have you ever watched a race? Mikey mouse racing at its finest, it wont be the pinnacle until they get rid of the gimmicks, car swaps fan boost etc
Inventor of the baguette scale
Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 17 Oct 2018, 7:15 pm

borismorris wrote:Pascal Wehrlein has jumped ship into Formula E.

To be honest, how many of those ( excluding Massa ) stood any realistic chance of getting an F1 drive over the next season or two?

FE may have close racing, but performance-wise it's more akin to the lower classes of Formula Ford or whatever the equivalent is these days ( from what I recall, 0-60 in about 4 seconds & around 130-140mph, aren't they? )
In my opinion they need to get another 30mph or so out of them.

Domvickery wrote:Have you ever watched a race? Mikey mouse racing at its finest, it wont be the pinnacle until they get rid of the gimmicks, car swaps fan boost etc

Unless I'm mistaken, the car swaps ( and therefore pit-stops ) are being binned for next season.
As for gimmicks such as 'fan boost', that's been mooted in the past for F1......in fact, I seem to recall it's been suggested again since the new owners took over.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 18 Oct 2018, 4:10 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/45905584
Sergio Perez staying with Force India for the 2019 season
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby borismorris on Thu 18 Oct 2018, 4:53 pm

I totally agree with getting rid of fan boost.Almost always the same drivers get the vote and really the brand doesn't need it to improve the spectacle.

F1 has gimmicks doesn't it?
Pink tyres, DRS...

How many drivers in F.E. would've made it in F1?
Impossible to say really isn't it?

Wehrlein, Massa, Piquet Jr, Heidfeld, Glock, DiGrassi, Trulli, Buemi, Gasli, Guttierrez, Senna, Sato, Liuzzi, Kobiashi, Verne.. Theres more I'm sure... How many of those guys had a competitive package in F1 though?

Then theres the likes of Rosenqvist, Bird and Ollie Rowland that really should've had a chance in F1..
In the days when F1 had pre qualifying and a grid of 26 cars, young drivers had every chance of making it on ability alone.

I'm not so sure F1 can claim to still be at the top of the food chain. It may have (some) of the best drivers in the world but the performance of the machinery is so massively skewed in the favour of the big manufacturers that it seems like it was years ago we last had a Pole Position from outside the current top 3 teams (Just once in the last 6 seasons).

Oh, and the racing in F1 is seldom as exciting as the support races.
borismorris

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 18 Oct 2018, 9:12 pm

That's been one of the problems with getting an F1 for years, though.
Some never get there, some only get as far as a mid-field/back-marker team & occasionally you'll get one ( like Hamilton ) who gets picked up & nurtured by one of the big teams very early in their career.
Otherwise, especially these days, unless they bring a lot of money/sponsorship with them ( or daddy buys them a team :lol: ) the chances of a driver progressing from a lower team to a top team is pretty slim.

F1 being overshadowed by support races?... looking at next season, that may happen with FE when they introduce the Jaguar i-Pace series. :biggrin:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Previous

Return to Off Topic