F1 2018

Re: F1 2018

Postby Brevet Cable on Sun 11 Nov 2018, 8:23 pm

From the radio comms they played on Radio 5's coverage, it was a case of Hamilton wanting to go faster & the team wanting the engine for the next race.
If it's that bad ( I thought Mercedes liked engines which burn oil :whistle: :lol: ) it doesn't bode well for the next race.....although they've won the Constructors Championship too, so are they really that bothered?
Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby speedbird2639 on Sun 11 Nov 2018, 10:38 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/46173103

"Verstappen ordered to carry out "two days of public service" to atone for "making deliberate physical contact with" Ocon" - I hope he got a patronising lecture to go with it!
speedbird2639

Postby borismorris on Sun 11 Nov 2018, 11:02 pm

Drivers not being allowed to show passion or vent frustration. All very p.c. these days.. That clip of Piquet and Salazar is legendary because it is kind of shocking but this incident is pretty similar and whilst I don't want to see it I can totally understand the lads anger. Ocon's move was knuckleheaded at best.
borismorris

Postby Brevet Cable on Sun 11 Nov 2018, 11:22 pm

Not to mention the supposedly god-like Senna assaulting Irvine for having the cheek to unlap himself, and more bouts of fisticuffs after touring car races than you can shake a stick at.
Max's comment about "I hope I don't find him in the paddock" isn't quite on a par with one of the Bathurst drivers back in the '70s ( think it may have been Brock ) "When I see him after the race I'm going to punch him in the face!"....and promptly did just that!
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby borismorris on Sun 11 Nov 2018, 11:37 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:Not to mention the supposedly god-like Senna assaulting Irvine for having the cheek to unlap himself, and more bouts of fisticuffs after touring car races than you can shake a stick at.
Max's comment about "I hope I don't find him in the paddock" isn't quite on a par with one of the Bathurst drivers back in the '70s ( think it may have been Brock ) "When I see him after the race I'm going to punch him in the face!"....and promptly did just that!

Exactly this B.C.

Not to mention dozens of Speedway Grand Prix meetings involving Nicki Pederson.

I'd rather have a grid full of fiesty buggers like Max than have boring drones like Ocon. I've done farts with more personality.

Still, he won't be on the grid next year so :wave:
borismorris

Postby Brevet Cable on Mon 12 Nov 2018, 12:58 pm

Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Mon 12 Nov 2018, 1:09 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:So......
How much, or what, did Mercedes offer Ocon, then.......? :whistle:

Looks like I'm not the only one thinking that.....
http://f1i.com/news/323542-szafnauer-rubbishes-markos-conspiracy-theory-claims.html
Force India boss Otmar Szafnauer says that claims his driver Esteban Ocon deliberately tried to take out race leader Max Verstappen during the Brazilian Grand Prix are absolutely groundless.
(snip)
He was also accused by Red Bull motorsports consultant Dr Helmut Marko of deliberately hitting Verstappen in order to allow Hamilton to win.

Marko said that Mercedes junior driver Ocon did it to ensure that he would be rewarded with a race seat in 2020.

"A Mercedes driver who is promised a seat for 2020, the leader drives into the car?" he is reported as saying by Motorsport Magazin.
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 13 Nov 2018, 12:31 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/46191581
The BBC will show coverage of every ABB FIA Formula E Championship race from December.

Races for the series will be featured live on the BBC Sport website, BBC iPlayer and BBC Red Button.
The opening race of the fifth season takes place at the Ad Diriyah E-Prix in Saudi Arabia on December 15.

Ali Russell, media and business development director at Formula E, said it was "imperative" the racing series remained on a free-to-air network in a "key" market for the sport.

Was wondering if something like this would happen, given the BBC's various features about F-E & electric cars this year.
Hopefully they'll also include the Jaguar I-Pace support races.
Just a shame they don't see fit to put it on a more mainstream channel

Edited to add...
Oh, and Palmer's views on the Vettel & Verstappen incidents : https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/46188703
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby vulcanshammer on Tue 13 Nov 2018, 6:15 pm

Max just cannot see past the next corner and onto the bigger picture. Maybe Ocon was trying to make a point but Verstappen lost that win himself.
The sooner the world runs out of cotton wool the better
vulcanshammer

Postby Reds Rolling on Tue 13 Nov 2018, 8:26 pm

I felt for Max and still think Ocon was the one at fault, despite him technically being able to unlap himself. Saying that though, Hamilton was right when he told Max he had more to lose in that situation, and I can't help thinking back to when Max started out and took out a few drivers himself through some overly aggressive driving, so pot, kettle, black springs to mind.
Reds Rolling

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 13 Nov 2018, 9:08 pm

Would Hamilton have said the same if it was him that Ocon crashed into? Given the number of times he's gone off on one and had a rant both during & after the race when he's crashed into others & others have crashed into him, I think it's safe to say he wouldn't.
But then, as Palmer & others have said, would Ocon have driven like that against Hamilton? Both being 'Team Mercedes', not a chance in hell.

Whilst Ocon has been the victim of bad driving in the past, he's no innocent himself & he got away lightly with just an in-race time penalty.

Hamilton was right when he told Max he had more to lose in that situation

Rather ironic coming from Hamilton, given the number of times he's played chicken on the first few corners of the first lap & left other drivers with a 'crash or go off the circuit' option.
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Domvickery on Tue 13 Nov 2018, 9:57 pm

Could you get anymore bait onto your anti Hamilton line?

If anyone truly believes the crash was deliberate they’re even more moronic than the suggestion itself
Inventor of the baguette scale
Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 13 Nov 2018, 10:07 pm

I could get plenty more, if you really want.
Or are you saying Hamilton's never played chicken? If you do, I think Vettel, Rosberg, Ricciardo & others would beg to differ.

There are plenty of people out there who do think it was deliberate, starting with RBR's Horner & Marko.
Oh, and no, I don't think it was...although I did have my doubts until I saw the footage - it was just basic stupidity on Ocon's part.
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Domvickery on Tue 13 Nov 2018, 10:39 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:I could get plenty more, if you really want.
Or are you saying Hamilton's never played chicken? If you do, I think Vettel, Rosberg, Ricciardo & others would beg to differ.

There are plenty of people out there who do think it was deliberate, starting with RBR's Horner & Marko.
Oh, and no, I don't think it was...although I did have my doubts until I saw the footage - it was just basic stupidity on Ocon's part.

Playing chicken, you mean racing? If those 3 drivers played ‘chicken’ a bit more then maybe they’d have a combined amount of championships as Lewis, plus there’s a huge difference between hustling for position at the start of a race than needlessly tangling with a back marker 3/4 of the way through it and plenty of people being the management of a team that cant admit that their driver who in his 3rd year of F1 still cant use his head whilst racing,

Ocon was crazy to do what he did, Max was too stupid to not let it go, retain the lead & take the win
Inventor of the baguette scale
Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Postby Wes_Howes on Sun 18 Nov 2018, 12:02 pm

Not F1 but motorsport related.

Sophia Floersch was involved in a huge accident in Macau earlier today, thankfully she's ok. I won't link the footage out of decency but it's there if you want to find it. Two photographers and a marshall were also injured in the incident.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/46253184
Wes_Howes

Postby Brevet Cable on Sun 18 Nov 2018, 6:45 pm

Every now and then something like that happens to remind people that motorsports isn't as safe & sanitised as F1 races lead them to believe.
Also a testament to the improvements in survivability in recent years.
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Mon 19 Nov 2018, 12:57 pm

BBC News showing the footage this morning.
How on earth did that happen !! :shock:
Extremely lucky is an understatement.
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby borismorris on Mon 19 Nov 2018, 7:37 pm

I can honestly say I don't think I've ever seen a more miraculous escape in any form of motor racing than that. An absolutely sickening crash.

It's being reported that she passed through the speed trap at over 270km/h backwards and airborne. Holy crap!

Last years Macau had an insane finish too..
borismorris

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 20 Nov 2018, 5:21 pm

This made oi larf....
https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/11541938/f1-2018-who-is-the-best-driver-of-the-season

Scroll down to the "But who is YOUR driver of 2018?" bit, where you can vote, and see what the current standings are! :whistle:
Wonder if Sky will let the result stand if it continues as it is, or will they do what the BBC did with SPOTY in the early '90s when Bob Nudd received the most votes?
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby starbuck on Tue 20 Nov 2018, 5:43 pm

I see Stroll's in last place. He won't like that. In fact it might make him angry, you don't want to make him angry... :grin:
starbuck

Postby borismorris on Tue 20 Nov 2018, 11:04 pm

Thing is BC, I dont think the Meerkat has done a bad job this year. He's certainly deserving of a spot on the grid. Though it looks like a certain Polish chap has his seat for 2019..

Not saying SIR has been the best, far from it. He's done a good job though.
HAM has made BOT look pretty ordinary this year but aside from that we can't really compare him against drivers in other teams.

For me, LeC is the star of the season.
borismorris

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 21 Nov 2018, 5:02 am

The reason Sirotkin tops the list is because there's a concerted effort by one facebook site to get as many people as possible to vote for him.
No idea whether it's simply to keep Hamilton from winning ( although if that was the case you'd have thought they'd have opted for Verstappen, Alonso, or someone like that ) or if - more likely - they're just doing it to annoy the hell out of Sky.
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Draken on Wed 21 Nov 2018, 7:38 am

Sirotkin is not a bad driver for sure. He had his moments, but driving Williams was a challenge itself...
As Pole I should support comeback of RK in 100%, however I am not so sure if this would be the right move for Williams... Of course I would enjoy F1 even more (fan for over 20y now), but still bit concerned about his abilities and endurance driving whole racing weekend...
Fingers crossed to prove me wrong.
Tomorrow should be the day as Williams set the press conference starring Claire, Robert, Sergey and someone from sponsors side.
Draken

Postby borismorris on Wed 21 Nov 2018, 2:45 pm

Draken wrote:Sirotkin is not a bad driver for sure. He had his moments, but driving Williams was a challenge itself...
As Pole I should support comeback of RK in 100%, however I am not so sure if this would be the right move for Williams... Of course I would enjoy F1 even more (fan for over 20y now), but still bit concerned about his abilities and endurance driving whole racing weekend...
Fingers crossed to prove me wrong.
Tomorrow should be the day as Williams set the press conference starring Claire, Robert, Sergey and someone from sponsors side.

Is being reported in Autosport magazine that KUB will drive for Williams next year.
I for one, am rather pleased about this. :biggrin:
borismorris

Postby Draken on Thu 22 Nov 2018, 9:30 am

Williams officially confirmed KUB as driver for 2019 season.
Draken

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic