Another Winter "wonderland" debacle

Another Winter "wonderland" debacle

Postby starbuck on Mon 18 Dec 2017, 11:46 am

It's that time of year again for ripping off parents and upsetting the kiddies, a well established Christmas tradition nowadays.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-42385803

My conspiracy theory head thinks that these are actually set up by the media outlets just so that they can get a story out of it.
starbuck

Re: Another Winter "wonderland" debacle

Postby CJS on Tue 19 Dec 2017, 7:25 am

To be honest I don't know why anyone would bother with these places anyway when most garden centres seem to have basically free versions these days. We went to one with our two year old and he loved it, wandering around enjoying the Christmas displays for a good few hours and it cost us precisely nothing to get in.

It's the Whitehall garden centre near Lacock if anyone's interested. Busy but much fun :-)
"Forewarned is forearmed"
CJS

Postby speedbird2639 on Tue 19 Dec 2017, 7:52 am

To be honest I don't know why anyone would bother with these places

This ^^ - there is one of these stories every year and every year the gullible are queuing up expecting the full Lapland experience for £25 when, as CJS points out quite correctly, they could have a better time for free at a nearby garden centre.
speedbird2639

Postby iainpeden on Tue 19 Dec 2017, 8:22 am

CJS wrote:To be honest I don't know why anyone would bother with these places anyway when most garden centres seem to have basically free versions these days. We went to one with our two year old and he loved it, wandering around enjoying the Christmas displays for a good few hours and it cost us precisely nothing to get in.

It's the Whitehall garden centre near Lacock if anyone's interested. Busy but much fun :-)

I hope you get a free coffee for "product placement."
iainpeden

Postby Tommy on Tue 19 Dec 2017, 10:44 am

speedbird2639 wrote:
To be honest I don't know why anyone would bother with these places

This ^^ - there is one of these stories every year and every year the gullible are queuing up expecting the full Lapland experience for £25 when, as CJS points out quite correctly, they could have a better time for free at a nearby garden centre.

Or likewise, any town or city centre, I suppose.

Cardiff's packed at the moment with families visiting Santa's Grotto whilst the other parent runs off and does the shopping.
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 19 Dec 2017, 11:18 am

Tommy wrote:Cardiff's packed at the moment with families visiting Santa's Grotto whilst the other parent runs off and does the shopping.

Not forgetting the wonderful 'Winter Wonderland', where you can buy overpriced stuff you could get cheaper in Aldi, Lidl or Wally's Delicatessen :biggrin:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby Tommy on Tue 19 Dec 2017, 11:53 am

Brevet Cable wrote:
Tommy wrote:Cardiff's packed at the moment with families visiting Santa's Grotto whilst the other parent runs off and does the shopping.

Not forgetting the wonderful 'Winter Wonderland', where you can buy overpriced stuff you could get cheaper in Aldi, Lidl or Wally's Delicatessen :biggrin:

Yeah true... £5 beer and £5 currywurst from the Christmas market in town... :hide:
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby vandal on Tue 19 Dec 2017, 3:39 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:

Yes - £3 for a giant warm Pretzel, on sale this time every year at Edinburgh's Winter Wonderland / German Market.

They are nice though. :grin:
vandal

Postby CJS on Tue 19 Dec 2017, 9:21 pm

iainpeden wrote:
CJS wrote:To be honest I don't know why anyone would bother with these places anyway when most garden centres seem to have basically free versions these days. We went to one with our two year old and he loved it, wandering around enjoying the Christmas displays for a good few hours and it cost us precisely nothing to get in.

I hope you get a free coffee for "product placement."

To be fair, if you actually bought anything there, you needed a second mortgage. But that's the joy of free stuff when they're trying to lure you in - don't fall for it and you feel even more smug when you walk out empty handed but fully walleted and then buy the glow in the dark baby Jesus off Amazon for half the price. :sick:
"Forewarned is forearmed"
CJS

Return to Off Topic