The 2018 6N thread

The 2018 6N thread

Postby iaint on Sat 03 Feb 2018, 5:45 pm

Well, the greatest rugby competition is once again upon us...

...And it's not really off to the best start it could have... :ninja:
Quite frankly embarrassed with that showing in Cardiff today. Turnover after turnover after turnover and the Welsh capitalised. We let such large gaps at times I was wondering if we were actually fielding 15! Questions surround the fourth Welsh try with a blatant forward pass, and the TMO dropping the ball by only reviewing the grounding and not going back far enough in the build up, but it was never changing the outcome of the game by any stretch (and no it doesn't even out with the decision not to award a try earlier). We'll see how much getting that BP will affect final positions.

It appears that the promising performances we put out in the Autumn Internationals once again leaves at the turn of the year... There's only one thing for it, the 6N must move to the autumn then we may have a better chance of a decent showing... :grin:

Anyway, predictions for the final table following that first game, and as much as it pains me, I wouldn't be surprised to see

England (No GS)
Ireland
Wales
France
Scotland
Italy
http://www.flickr.com/photos/iainthomson84/

End of Message, End of Broadcast
iaint
UKAR Staff

Re: The 2018 6N thread

Postby Brevet Cable on Sat 03 Feb 2018, 6:46 pm

It was a battle of which team could be the lest useless, as neither of them had a good game.
I feel Wales were flattered by the final score.
And so much for cracking down on crooked feeds in the scrums.

Ireland......jammy gits! :lol:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby wv383 on Sat 03 Feb 2018, 9:42 pm

iaint wrote:Well, the greatest rugby competition is once again upon us...

...and the TMO dropping the ball by only reviewing the grounding and not going back far enough in the build up, but it was never changing the outcome of the game by any stretch (and no it doesn't even out with the decision not to award a try earlier).

Surely the TMO only reviews what he's asked to by the referee. Therefore, if the referee asks the TMO to review just the grounding, that's what he does. it is not in his remit to review other things of his own choosing.
Simon
wv383

Postby iaint on Sun 04 Feb 2018, 9:26 am

wv383 wrote:
iaint wrote:Well, the greatest rugby competition is once again upon us...

...and the TMO dropping the ball by only reviewing the grounding and not going back far enough in the build up, but it was never changing the outcome of the game by any stretch (and no it doesn't even out with the decision not to award a try earlier).

Surely the TMO only reviews what he's asked to by the referee. Therefore, if the referee asks the TMO to review just the grounding, that's what he does. it is not in his remit to review other things of his own choosing.

Was the referee’s question not “is there any reason why I cannot award a try”? Pretty open to looking for any incident leading up to the try. He then spends less than 30secs looking at (I reckon admiring) the grounding in slo-mo...
Anyway, like I said wouldn’t have changed the final result.

As for today... Forza Italia!! :grin:

iaint
UKAR Staff

Postby CJS on Mon 05 Feb 2018, 6:49 am

Hmm...tricky start for England :-P
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?
CJS

Postby Brevet Cable on Mon 05 Feb 2018, 12:36 pm

Nice to see that the French cheating is being looked into......bet nothing gets done about it, though.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Sat 10 Feb 2018, 3:02 pm

Ireland look to be running up a bigger cricket score against Italy than England did last week.

Speaking of cricket scores, I hope the result of the women's England-v-Wales 6N match isn't an omen for the men's match ! :oops:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Tommy on Sat 10 Feb 2018, 7:14 pm

Ooooooooh, try or no try?

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby Brevet Cable on Sat 10 Feb 2018, 7:29 pm

Watched it live & the numerous replays when they were making the decision....still think it was a poor decision & that the try should have been given.
Not the only bad decision, though....most ridiculous was when the Ref penalised England for playing on seconds after signalling 'play on' :facepalm:
Shame Wales - as usual - failed to capitalise on all the Penalties ( 10, was it ? ) which would have made all the difference.

That said, I was expecting Wales to lose & to be honest I was expecting them to lose by more than they did.

Oh, and what a refreshing change it was to have unbiased commentary on Radio 5. :up:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Skyflash on Mon 12 Feb 2018, 1:39 pm

I was at Murrayfield yesterday for a mightily peculiar game against the French, who must be getting on the plane* home wondering how on earth they let that one slip. Having said that, it's good that after the Cardiff debacle Scotland found a way to win, and a special mention has to go to Greig Laidlaw, the wee man was just terrific yesterday.

Massive improvement needed all over the pitch for the visit of England in a fortnight, but for now we can enjoy a hard-fought win.

*or, erm, perhaps not. Oh dear... :roll: https://www.scotsman.com/news/french-ru ... -1-4687534
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...
Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Postby boff180 on Mon 12 Feb 2018, 1:44 pm

:hide:

At the risk of getting my head smacked in for analysing this, it wasn’t a Try but the TMO was still completely and utterly wrong.

Everyone has concentrated on the grounding decision which the TMO did get wrong. However others went further back and looked at the ball coming off his knee which the TMO also ruled as fine, the ball actually came off his hand and knee - making it a knock on and no Try. :hide:

Scotland played really well yesterday and impressed me, definitely the dark horses of this years tournament!
boff180
UKAR Staff

Postby iaint on Sun 25 Feb 2018, 10:11 pm

boff180 wrote:
Scotland played really well yesterday and impressed me, definitely the dark horses of this years tournament!

So good of you to say so... :wink:

Superb game on last night, and good to finally put a few ghosts to rest... First try at Murrayfield against England in 14yrs, and the Calcutta Cup back in blue hands after 10yrs.
Even at half time with the score 22-6, I was expecting England to show up and the tide to turn... But it wasn't to be! :yahoo: :yahoo:

iaint
UKAR Staff

Postby Brevet Cable on Sat 10 Mar 2018, 7:02 pm

"Ireland!, Ireland!, nunna nur-na nur....." :wink: :lol:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Sun 11 Mar 2018, 3:16 pm

Despite a decent start, Wales seem to be trying their damnest to knock Italy out of the 'wooden spoon' slot :facepalm:

Edited to add.....
Thankfully it was just a glitch & they've decided to start playing properly again. :biggrin:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Sat 17 Mar 2018, 7:22 pm

Ireland - well done, they deserved it.
Italy - unlucky.
Wales - Pathetic again.....an undeserved 'win' ( and why do they insist on picking Biggar, as he seems to think his only job these days is to gob-off to the Ref. :dizzy: )
Brevet.. Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby wv383 on Sun 18 Mar 2018, 1:23 am

Brevet Cable wrote:Ireland - well done, they deserved it.
Italy - unlucky.
Wales - Pathetic again.....an undeserved 'win' ( and why do they insist on picking Biggar, as he seems to think his only job these days is to gob-off to the Ref. :dizzy: )

I agree about Italy definitely unlucky and certainly the best that I have seen them play and Ireland certainly deserved their win and Slam - much as it pains me to say it! As for Biggar, it was a good job he wasn't on kicking duty otherwise we'd have been treated to that weird dance he does every time he takes one! He reminds me of that, now retired, French female tennis player that I nicknamed 'stamper' whenever she took a serve!
Simon
wv383

Return to Off Topic