Your Local News

Your Local News

Postby Spiny Norman on Fri 17 Aug 2018, 10:37 am

Always been a fan of the unusual, baffling or hilarious stories that appear in local news outlets.

I wonder if any other readers enjoy them as much and if so, why not share them here? We do live around the country so the net should be pretty wide.

To kick things off.

An escaped parrot stuck on a roof told its rescuers to [go away]*

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/read-this/escaped-parrot-tells-rescuers-f-off/

* Edited to abide with UKAR Forum Rules
Spiny Norman

Re: Your Local News

Postby Tmyers123 on Fri 17 Aug 2018, 10:45 am

The most British headline you could think of. :grin:
Tmyers123

Postby vandal on Fri 17 Aug 2018, 10:54 am

Tmyers123 wrote:The most British headline you could think of. :grin:

Wonder if it was this that inspired Yorkshire tea to release 'Biscuit Brew'.

Yes - that's a thing. :grin:
vandal

Postby f4phixeruk on Fri 17 Aug 2018, 2:24 pm

Ah. Good old Johnstone press. Locals in St Andrews are wondering why all of a sudden, stories relating to Devon, were appearing on the local paper Facebook page. Wonder if people in Devon are getting all the garbage stories from St Andrews
If you eat high calorie foods with a Diet Coke, the drink cancels the calories out!
f4phixeruk

Postby Spiny Norman on Fri 17 Aug 2018, 5:56 pm

f4phixeruk wrote:Ah. Good old Johnstone press. Locals in St Andrews are wondering why all of a sudden, stories relating to Devon, were appearing on the local paper Facebook page. Wonder if people in Devon are getting all the garbage stories from St Andrews

But who wouldn't want to read stories from Devon like this corker:

Exeter's chicken nugget festival has been CANCELLED
https://www.devonlive.com/whats-on/food-drink/exeters-chicken-nugget-festival-been-1908500
Spiny Norman

Postby parsley on Tue 21 Aug 2018, 2:07 pm

Going back to the early 90's I used to work night shifts and the favoured listening between 10pm and midnight Monday to Friday was Mark (Mark Radcliffe )and Lard's show on Radio 1.They had a semi regular feature comprising of small ads from local newspapers.

The one I always remember was "Offers wanted...Very large piece of foam rubber.Unwieldy but safe."
parsley
UKAR Supporter

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 22 Aug 2018, 8:52 am

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/miller-carter-customer-left-furious-15056805
A Miller and Carter customer says he won't be going back to the steakhouse after it "reminded him of its dress code" during his visit.

Paul Bruton, 29, wanted to treat his fiancée at the restaurant, which has a smart casual dress code. He was wearing his Los Angeles Lakers jersey and shorts – and he is furious after a member of staff commented on them.
He claims the steakhouse’s duty manager told him: “We do have a dress code of smart-casual but we are not busy so we will serve you.”
Mr Bruton later wrote to the restaurant: “I was wearing shorts and a sleeveless t-shirt. That surely counts as casual.

“And my clothes were not dirty, ripped or covered in crap, so surely I met the smart bit too.

“So I can only think it was a personal remark against me for my tattoos showing.”

You wonder how big a throbber you'd have to be to think that that abomination equates to 'smart casual' :facepalm:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Return to Off Topic