What's The Point Of A Forum?

What's The Point Of A Forum?

Postby Victor 23 on Sat 06 Oct 2018, 8:19 pm

Evening All

With being on this site for a while I wonder what the point is? I have noticed with myself & other threads of something of interest that their is eg: 400 viewers to 3 responds. I know the subject maybe boring, but with no response from any members on most of the subjects, unless its music or sport, then I wonder what a waste of time.
Victor 23

Re: What's The Point Of A Forum?

Postby Brevet Cable on Sat 06 Oct 2018, 8:41 pm

What I'd like to know is.....should I really be trying - fairly successfully, I may add - to work my way through a 5L box of home-brew wine ( 12.5% ABV ) during the course of an evening? Image
And has Phyllis Hurwitz asked for you back yet?
Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby F575 on Sat 06 Oct 2018, 9:18 pm

Victor 23 wrote:Evening All

With being on this site for a while I wonder what the point is? I have noticed with myself & other threads of something of interest that their is eg: 400 viewers to 3 responds. I know the subject maybe boring, but with no response from any members on most of the subjects, unless its music or sport, then I wonder what a waste of time.

Well you've got to remember the main point of the forum is for aviation information, this is all just off-topic & random stuff, and even then a topic just solely on about a BBC political journalist is never going to be a best-seller - frankly most people just won't care about it.
F575

Postby Victor 23 on Sat 06 Oct 2018, 9:20 pm

Maybe not, but when theirs eg: 400 viewers to 3 Reponses's then you wonder what's the point, unless England have won the world cup!!
Victor 23

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Sat 06 Oct 2018, 9:39 pm

Victor 23 wrote:Evening All

Because you tend to start threads that are moron-fodder and of no interest to anyone with a reasonable brain in their head. This is why they struggle to get replies. UKAR's audience has historically been rather more discerning.

Exhibits A, B and C:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=82172

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=81975

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=81895

If you wish to talk about reality television and call Laura Kuenssberg names, I suggest you do so on social media or forums that discuss television, not an aviation one.

At its best UKAR Off Topic was always irreverent and sharp, and the discussions were generally intelligent and well-informed.

Perhaps one day it'll return to that.
Dan O'Hagan

Postby Tmyers123 on Sat 06 Oct 2018, 9:56 pm

Dan O'Hagan wrote:Because you tend to start threads that are moron-fodder and of no interest to anyone with a reasonable brain in their head. This is why they struggle to get replies. UKAR's audience has historically been rather more discerning.

Why do you have to be so rude?
Tmyers123

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Sat 06 Oct 2018, 10:00 pm

Tmyers123 wrote:
Dan O'Hagan wrote:Because you tend to start threads that are moron-fodder and of no interest to anyone with a reasonable brain in their head. This is why they struggle to get replies. UKAR's audience has historically been rather more discerning.

Answering his question.

His threads are, pretty much without exception, along the same lines as his Kuenssberg and Jeremy Vine ones I cited.

They get no replies because the audience on UKAR has no interest in such trivial guff.
Dan O'Hagan

Postby Tommy on Sat 06 Oct 2018, 10:41 pm

Two other reasons in addition:

UKAR is open to the public and the view count includes those who are viewing without being logged in, or those who are viewing but don't have an account. 400 views doesn't necessarily translate into 400 possible comments.

Secondly, you don't really post with anything to discuss. You post a rant of the day and leave it. What else can people really contribute to your postings?

Try discussing the things you enjoy, like, admire, et al, rather than the things you hate or dislike, and try framing them in a way that shows you want to chat about them, rather than just posting your opinion and then walk off until you discover the next thing you dislike and posting a random opinion about that, too.
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby Burleysway on Sun 07 Oct 2018, 5:52 am

Tmyers123 wrote:

I don’t think Dan was being rude on this occasion, just blunt.
The Sand Spider
Burleysway

Postby Amp on Sun 07 Oct 2018, 9:00 am

Agree with Dan.
Same with the "what's your favourite xyz" type messages that appear routinely from various other parties.
At least this one got a few responses.
Personally I have my settings at "view new posts", it would be preferable if there was a "view new aviation posts".
Each to their own, of course.
Happy Sunday.
Amp

Postby AFKAMC on Sun 07 Oct 2018, 9:21 am

Brevet Cable wrote:What I'd like to know is.....should I really be trying - fairly successfully, I may add - to work my way through a 5L box of home-brew wine ( 12.5% ABV ) during the course of an evening? Image
And has Phyllis Hurwitz asked for you back yet?

You feeling OK this morning?
AFKAMC

Postby Victor 23 on Sun 07 Oct 2018, 12:16 pm

Tommy wrote:Two other reasons in addition:

UKAR is open to the public and the view count includes those who are viewing without being logged in, or those who are viewing but don't have an account. 400 views doesn't necessarily translate into 400 possible comments.

Secondly, you don't really post with anything to discuss. You post a rant of the day and leave it. What else can people really contribute to your postings?

Try discussing the things you enjoy, like, admire, et al, rather than the things you hate or dislike, and try framing them in a way that shows you want to chat about them, rather than just posting your opinion and then walk off until you discover the next thing you dislike and posting a random opinion about that, too.

Well least that got a response!! yes some of the topics are not to everyone's liking, but so are some of the other posts on this website. The idea of a forum is to discuss things positive or negative, whether Aviation or Off Topic I have put some good threads on the aviation site and have have noticed as well as mine, and some of the other members the same thing only 3 or 4 responses. But to walk off, what choice do you have with only a handful comments. I think maybe some need to lighten up a bit and be a bit more constructive in their comments! Oh what can I think of next!!
Victor 23

Postby Brevet Cable on Sun 07 Oct 2018, 12:29 pm

AFKAMC wrote:You feeling OK this morning?

Perfectly sober but disappointed, as I failed in my attempt by about 2L.....watching films tends to slow down the rate of alcohol consumption. :lol:
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby CJS on Sun 07 Oct 2018, 12:56 pm

Burleysway wrote:
Tmyers123 wrote:

I don’t think Dan was being rude on this occasion, just blunt.

Actually, for Dan, I thought he was being fairly polite... ;-)
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?
CJS

Postby Wes_Howes on Tue 09 Oct 2018, 6:52 am

Victor 23 wrote:
Well least that got a response!!

Clearly, that's what you're fishing for, heaven forbid you should choose to post some pictures and get no responses. :hide:

...whether Aviation or Off Topic I have put some good threads...

In your opinion maybe but clearly the lack of responses suggests otherwise.

But to walk off, what choice do you have with only a handful comments.

And that is your choice, personally you haven't posted anything that's interested me (apart from this topic) so I've chosen to not comment.

Edit - why has every word in the thread title got a capital letter? :dunno:
Wes_Howes

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 09 Oct 2018, 8:19 am

I'm just surprised the OP hasn't blamed Corbyn, Labour or the EU. :whistle:

OK, serious head on for a minute.....
If every poster who started a topic which received hundreds of views but only a few ( or on some cases, no ) replies threw a hissy-fit, chucked their teddies out of the pram & refused to post any more*, there'd be very little activity on here.
Not every subject interests people.
Not every subject requires replies ( do people who post images really have such an ego that they need to see dozens of relies merely saying "great pics"? )
Not every subject is relevent to the overwhelming majority of posters on here.
There are topics started merely to troll for replies.
No doubt others can add to that list, but it all boils down to one thing - not every topic will guarantee a reply.

( * I can guarantee there are those on here who fervently wish I'd do just that! :tongue: )
Meh !!
Brevet Cable

Postby CJS on Tue 09 Oct 2018, 3:02 pm

Wes_Howes wrote:

Thread drift alert...

...it used to be commonplace to capitalise each word in a title, something that still happens sometimes but less and less so. Often I teach the children at school that the key words in a title or headline might be better off caplitalised (and that the first one of course always should be).

So in this case, I might suggest 'What's the Point of a Forum?'.

It's a bit ugly to look at perhaps, but draws you to the important bits. I don't think it's exactly wrong to do it either way though, although I would stick to a capital on the first word at least!
CJS

Postby The Baron on Wed 10 Oct 2018, 8:06 pm

CJS wrote:
Wes_Howes wrote:

Thread drift alert...

...it used to be commonplace to capitalise each word in a title, something that still happens sometimes but less and less so. Often I teach the children at school that the key words in a title or headline might be better off caplitalised (and that the first one of course always should be).

It's a bit ugly to look at perhaps, but draws you to the important bits. I don't think it's exactly wrong to do it either way though, although I would stick to a capital on the first word at least!

I've always done what you suggested, Chris. I capitalise the important words in a title. It's the way I was taught. However in this day and age it's almost nice to see an overuse of capital letters when so often in every day communication everything is left in lower case.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.
The Baron

Postby cg_341 on Thu 11 Oct 2018, 9:12 am

CJS wrote:
Wes_Howes wrote:

Thread drift alert...

That's called title case: https://www.grammar-monster.com/lessons ... e_case.htm
cg_341

Postby CJS on Thu 11 Oct 2018, 11:27 am

The Baron wrote:
CJS wrote:
Wes_Howes wrote:

Thread drift alert...

I've always done what you suggested, Chris. I capitalise the important words in a title. It's the way I was taught. However in this day and age it's almost nice to see an overuse of capital letters when so often in every day communication everything is left in lower case.

COULDN'T AGREE MORE :shock: :clown:
CJS

Return to Off Topic