F1 2019

F1 2019

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 27 Dec 2018, 9:51 am

To kick things off, a bit of doom & gloom :biggrin:
Not that it would come as much of a surprise, I'd have thought.....
https://www.pitpass.com/63734/UKs-F1-TV-audience-could-shed-5-million-viewers
Unofficial forum brauer und winzer
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Re: F1 2019

Postby speedbird2639 on Fri 28 Dec 2018, 10:31 pm

I can count on the fingers of one hand the numbers of F1 races I've missed watching in the last 35 years or so. But I won't be buying a Sky subscription. And neither will, I suspect, a lot of F1 fans. It will remain to be seen if reducing the number of people watching the races live by about 90% ultimately has a knock on effect on the number of companies prepared to put their brand name on the side of the cars or how much they are prepared to pay.

Personally I think the teams will be clamouring to get back on free to air tv by the end of this Sky deal.
speedbird2639

Postby Brevet Cable on Sat 29 Dec 2018, 9:07 pm

England football manager gets 'the tap' for failure, but Hamilton doesn't get an upgrade despite winning another WDC.
Or will it be the usual, that he'll have to wait until he retires?
Brevet Cable

Postby borismorris on Sat 29 Dec 2018, 11:27 pm

On the subject of honours I've seen no nod toward Tai Woffinden who this year became Britains first triple World Speedway champion.:sad:

But thats a different sort of thread drift :wink:

I've given up watching F1 live, I just follow a blog where I can watch a few hours later. No more Sunday afternoons tied to the sofa.
borismorris

Postby McG on Sun 30 Dec 2018, 4:31 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:England football manager gets 'the tap' for failure, but Hamilton doesn't get an upgrade despite winning another WDC.

Other sports people have received Knighthoods and Damehoods prior to retiring - Andy Murray and Chris Hoy spring to mind.
McG

Postby McG on Sun 30 Dec 2018, 4:36 pm

borismorris wrote:On the subject of honours I've seen no nod toward Tai Woffinden who this year became Britains first triple World Speedway champion.:sad:

His award went to John Redwood. :grin:
McG

Postby Brevet Cable on Sun 30 Dec 2018, 5:13 pm

McG wrote:
Brevet Cable wrote:England football manager gets 'the tap' for failure, but Hamilton doesn't get an upgrade despite winning another WDC.

Other sports people have received Knighthoods and Damehoods prior to retiring - Andy Murray and Chris Hoy spring to mind.

Granted there aren't many of them in the first place, but I can't think of any motorsports racer who got their Knighthood when still racing.
Brevet Cable

Postby Reds Rolling on Wed 02 Jan 2019, 2:26 pm

I don't mind watching the highlights programmes, especially when there's races that are on early in the mornings, but it becomes a problem later when there's races that start in the evenings here, and the highlights shows don't air until around 10.30pm or so.

I'd possibly get a NOW TV sports pass for those late races if there were a lot riding on them, as they are usually near the end of the season.
Reds Rolling

Postby Mike on Wed 02 Jan 2019, 2:36 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:Granted there aren't many of them in the first place, but I can't think of any motorsports racer who got their Knighthood when still racing.

Sir Malcolm Campbell
Sir Henry Segrave
Mike

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 02 Jan 2019, 4:00 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but unless I'm mistaken both of them had stopped participating in motorsports prior to setting the speed records which they received their Knighthoods for.
And I don't class attempting to set land speed records as racing.
Brevet Cable

Postby Ken Shabby on Thu 03 Jan 2019, 12:03 am

Brevet Cable wrote:To kick things off, a bit of doom & gloom :biggrin:
Not that it would come as much of a surprise, I'd have thought.....
https://www.pitpass.com/63734/UKs-F1-TV-audience-could-shed-5-million-viewers

The move to pay-per-view in the UK is just the latest chapter in the ongoing tale of F1's financial suicide. It's laughable that so many in the sport still express surprise that making people pay to watch means fewer will in fact do so, which in turns means brands don't find F1 as attractive and are less inclined to pay huge sums to have their names splattered all over the cars.

I would think that whole cause and effect would have been pretty obvious from Day 1 but apparently not. From reading interviews with various F1 'grandees' in recent years, it seems they thought fans would be only too keen to pay to carry on watching F1. They've been shown to be wrong so far and there's no reason to believe that UK viewers will act any differently to other audiences across the world.

UK football fans' readiness to snap-up Sky subscriptions in the past 10 years has sometimes been brought up by F1 as an example of where fans will pay to watch their sport, and as justification in a business sense for F1 doing the same. What's overlooked here is that Sky (and other pay-per-view channels) have essentially been offering a 'new' product. Football in the large quantities that can be seen on UK TV today was never available free-to-view. With the exception of the Champions and Europa Leagues, football fans haven't had to stump-up to tune-in to what they previously watched for nothing.

F1, though, is asking its fans to do just that. And a lot are saying "No thanks".
Ken

I came here for a shoot-out right, a proper shoot-out, with some proper men.
Ken Shabby

Postby ianf on Tue 08 Jan 2019, 10:00 am

Ferrari replace their boss https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/46784200 I thought he had survived after last year. Obviously not, Ferrari seem to continue the chop and change system that has served them well the last few years... oh hang on it hasn't! :clown: I think this is a mistake, there were signs they had their act together.
Victor XL231 Lusty Lindy, crew chief.
Our face book page. https://www.facebook.com/LustyLindy231/?ref=bookmarks
ianf

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 10 Jan 2019, 1:27 pm

The rule changes for this year :
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.f1-rules-and-regulations-what's-new-for-2019.2DIt7TEs9YqI8IY6mEcwsM.html?fbclid=IwAR3Qd38B3RadTq7jC-K-EBYsL51N9jhzrDyQG7bKlO4RLThqNRbfLLQo3Pc

Self-scrutineering: Cars will no longer be scrutineered in the traditional sense at the start of the Grand Prix weekend. Instead, competitors must sign a declaration that they are in compliance with the rules – and, of course, the stewards can make random checks at any time.

Yep....I can see that working well..... :whistle:
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 10 Jan 2019, 2:40 pm

And following on from Ferrari, McLaren F1 also have a new boss :
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/46816256
Brevet Cable

Postby McG on Thu 10 Jan 2019, 4:40 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:The rule changes for this year :
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.f1-rules-and-regulations-what's-new-for-2019.2DIt7TEs9YqI8IY6mEcwsM.html?fbclid=IwAR3Qd38B3RadTq7jC-K-EBYsL51N9jhzrDyQG7bKlO4RLThqNRbfLLQo3Pc

Self-scrutineering: Cars will no longer be scrutineered in the traditional sense at the start of the Grand Prix weekend. Instead, competitors must sign a declaration that they are in compliance with the rules – and, of course, the stewards can make random checks at any time.

It's a health & safety initiative to protect the stewards from being run over by Vettel and the weigh bridge getting destroyed.
McG

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 10 Jan 2019, 5:12 pm

It probably says somewhere in the smallprint that Ferrari are exempt from being weighed. :lol:
Brevet Cable

Postby borismorris on Thu 10 Jan 2019, 6:20 pm

McG wrote:
Brevet Cable wrote:The rule changes for this year :

It's a health & safety initiative to protect the stewards from being run over by Vettel and the weigh bridge getting destroyed.

If you think the Vettel steward incident was bad, you should see the DTM incident at Hungaroring last year.. https://youtu.be/lPDv6ofE-gA
borismorris

Postby verreli on Thu 10 Jan 2019, 6:54 pm

I think Formula 1 is one of those sports which values integrity at its core and no team would ever contemplate espionage, bending, circumventing and indeed flouting the rules. Oh, hold on...
verreli

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 10 Jan 2019, 9:28 pm

F1 are a bunch of amateurs compared to what used to (and probability still does) go on in tin-top racing, even down to the lowliest 'clubman' categories. :biggrin:
Brevet Cable

Postby Ken Shabby on Thu 10 Jan 2019, 10:14 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:F1 are a bunch of amateurs compared to what used to (and probability still does) go on in tin-top racing, even down to the lowliest 'clubman' categories. :biggrin:

Steward: So your historic F3 car is exactly as it was in period save for the FIA mandated safety upgrades?

Driver: That's right.

Steward: But you're lapping it faster than Jim Clark did ...

Driver: Am I really?

Steward: Yes.

Driver: Well, that'd be down to the tyres and track surface.

Steward: Yes, I'm sure it would ...
Ken

I came here for a shoot-out right, a proper shoot-out, with some proper men.
Ken Shabby

Postby verreli on Thu 10 Jan 2019, 11:40 pm

It's amazing what modern rubber can do... :wink:
verreli

Postby Brevet Cable on Sun 20 Jan 2019, 4:32 pm

F1 proving that it can be just like football....
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/46924987
The man appointed as the new boss of Renault's Formula 1 programme has left the French car company before even taking up his new position.

Thierry Koskas was named president of Renault Sport in November, and attended the season-closing Abu Dhabi Grand Prix on a fact-finding mission.
But 18 days after he was due to start work, Renault announced Kostas' departure from the entire group.

Jerome Stoll, who had been due to retire, will continue as president.

A spokesperson for Renault Sport shed no further light on the situation, but emphasised the move effectively meant the F1 team continued as before under Stoll and managing director, and de facto team boss, Cyril Abiteboul.
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 22 Jan 2019, 12:20 pm

Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Fri 25 Jan 2019, 8:27 pm

Listening to IMSA Radio, Michelin Tyres Championship race......
8 'full course yellows' so far ( with an hour still to go )..…BP managing to louse up by supplying one of the teams with the wrong fuel.
If only F1 could be as interesting this season.
And to confuse people, one of the teams is called Rover Racing. What make of car have they got? ........Audi! :dizzy:
Oh, and can you imagine having a UK-based racing team being called Roadshagger :lol:
Brevet Cable

Postby borismorris on Fri 25 Jan 2019, 9:17 pm

I'm sure they would just pronounce it roads haagger or similar b.c.

:biggrin:

On that subject..
I never thought Murray Walker was comfortable with saying the name of French driver Olivier Panis..

One week it was Paniss then next week it was Par-neece..

It was as if he was trying not to say penis :grin:
borismorris

Next

Return to Off Topic