Grey Squirrel

Photos that are not aviation related
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Grey Squirrel

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Squirrel heaven probably looks something like this, right?

Grey Squirrel by Dan B, on Flickr

Wide open, ISO 400. This is where the L series really excels IMO - for aviation the step-up in quality hasn't been so marked IMO.

I'll try for a few more shots in the coming days as he/she (I think it's a she?) didn't seem to mind me snapping away at the French doors, but as it's north facing there won't be any sunlight to make use of at this time of year.

Never seen more than two in the garden at once, but it seems to me that only one of them has hit the jackpot and found the stash. The other one still runs around the lawn looking in the grass and hoping another tub might appear; had seven of these tubs full of hazelnuts from the tree, they've already cleaned out two of them!
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Airwolfhound

Re: Grey Squirrel

Post by Airwolfhound »

Love squirrels, whatever colour. These are fab shots Dan, hope to see more :-)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

I agree female. Cracking shots, such a pity it's an invasive, poxed alien!

John

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Moved the table a little closer and used the flash today...

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Very good, but the reds are much prettier, shame that there are so few left. There would be a lot more about if the greys really were in squirrel heaven!
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

aceyone

Post by aceyone »

Excellent shots !
Don't know about those jets ,they spoil a very nice place

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

Super close-ups Dan :smile: Such pretty animals, greys, reds, and the black squirrels (I have several that visit my garden regularly).

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Thanks. No interest in the debate either tbh - this little critter doesn't know any better and besides, grey squirrels are what we have in the garden, so grey squirrels it will have to be.

Also saw a greater spotted woodpecker out there whilst taking pics of squiddly diddly, which I'd never seen before, but nothing more than a low quality snap-shot of that one so I shall refrain from posting.

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

Yeah, I deleted my first post, didn't think it fair to hijack it like I had done lol. Agree with you 100% greys is what we have so greys is what we photograph :-) I have a couple of squirrel feeders which are emptied on a regular basis, but nothing better I'd rather be doing than keeping the local wildlife happy and fed. Wildlife photography can get pretty addictive, especially in the Autumn and Winter months when air displays are slightly fewer and far between. Nice work :-)

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:Also saw a greater spotted woodpecker out there whilst taking pics of squiddly diddly, which I'd never seen before, but nothing more than a low quality snap-shot of that one so I shall refrain from posting.

We're quite lucky in that we see great spotted woodpeckers as well as green woodpeckers in the garden on quite a regular basis. And our next door neighbour had taken to feeding a carrion crow over the last two years or so. He can be a bit of a pest at times, but what Chris Packham says about them is without doubt true, ie that they are among the most intelligent of our birds.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP