6201 Princess Elizabeth

Photos that are not aviation related
Warton GR4

6201 Princess Elizabeth

Post by Warton GR4 »

Hi,
Here's some pics from a couple of weeks back of Princess Elizabeth pulling the Cumbrian Mountain Express, seen Northbound between Preston and Lancaster. I got quite lucky on this occasion. A week before I'd gone out to see Princess Elizabeth on a Southbound rail tour. On that occasion it had started to rain while I was walking to my position so I didn't get my camera out and she arrived early. The shots I took after I quickly got my camera out my bag were not worth posting. On this occasion it was the opposite. I walked to my spot and was stood in low cloud and drizzle. I waited and waited and the weather slowly improved until an hour late, but by this time in full sun, she came into view. What a site as well with some real dark exhausts. 5 minutes later, it was raining again.

Enjoy,
Mark
Formerly Mk1 Maniac!

Mark Wright

jacksonphreak

Re: 6201 Princess Elizabeth

Post by jacksonphreak »

Great shots Mark, nice light on her. One loco that I've never seen.
Thanks for posting

Steve

flying figgis

Post by flying figgis »

Stanier's finest creation well recorded!! Fantastic!!
Tornado GR4...IX (B) Squadron Royal Air Force

http://www.yourstressmanager.co.uk

raiford

Post by raiford »

the Duchess and Coronation Pacifics have always been my favourite, so huge and beautifully proportioned, I first saw Princess Elizabeth at Bulmers in Hereford back in the late 80's, and was awe struck by the size of these locos, and then a special moment at Didcot in the 90's when she was there alongside Princess Margaret Rose, a sight never to be forgotten, and then just a few weeks ago Duchess of Sutherland passed through Worcester, amazing :clap:

Warton GR4

Post by Warton GR4 »

Hi,
Thanks for all the replies. She really is a great looking engine! As far as I know, no tours are due past over the next couple of weekends but hopefully. Instead, this weekend I'm going down to check out a fairly new attraction in the Ribble Steam Railway which runs on Preston docks. From what I've read it's got quite a large collection of mostly industrial engines, many of which came from Southport Steamport which I believe closed in the 90s, and Steamtown at Carnforth. They have been doing passenger runs at weekends since 2005 I believe but also have a contract to pull bitumen wagons around the docks. You can find out more here:
http://www.ribblesteam.org.uk/
I'll post any interesting shots I get.
Thanks for looking,
Mark
Formerly Mk1 Maniac!

Mark Wright