RNLI Lifeboats Meet-Up

Photos that are not aviation related
pootle

RNLI Lifeboats Meet-Up

Post by pootle »

Just half a dozen or so photos from the annual meet up that our local lifeboat stations at Harwich, Walton-on-the-Naze and Clacton-on-Sea try to have each January. This year with the venue being in Harwich Harbour, it was too far for the Clacton Atlantic 85 lifeboat to come along to without leaving its area without cover. So whilst members of the Clacton crew joined us for the social side of the day, the afloat action was all provided by the Severn Class ALB from Harwich, their Atlantic 75 ILB and the Tamar Class ALB from Walton & Frinton (sorry ALB is All Weather Lifeboat and ILB is Inshore Lifeboat).

Fantastic weather, bright, great light but cold enough to freeze the wotsits off a seagull! I was lucky enough to be afloat on the Walton & Frinton boat and then transfer between the lifeboats to get shots of all the participants. On the return journey back from Harwich to Walton, we were tasked by the Coastguard to investigate reports of an unidentified object in the water off Felixstowe. Turned out to just be a discarded inflatable but we did get to log our first service 'call-out' of the year !

Lifeboat Meet-Up - January 22nd 2017 by Stewart Oxley, on Flickr (Walton Lifeboat)

Lifeboat Meet-Up - January 22nd 2017 by Stewart Oxley, on Flickr (Walton Lifeboat)

Lifeboat Meet-Up - January 22nd 2017 by Stewart Oxley, on Flickr (Harwich Lifeboat)

Lifeboat Meet-Up - January 22nd 2017 by Stewart Oxley, on Flickr (Harwich Lifeboat)

Lifeboat Meet-Up - January 22nd 2017 by Stewart Oxley, on Flickr (Harwich Lifeboat - Artistic 'edit')

Hope these are of interest to some of you.

Cheers,
Stewart

Phil Standfield

Re: RNLI Lifeboats Meet-Up

Post by Phil Standfield »

Great subject some really well taken ones there especially the ones hard over. Tamars look quite nice in the sun. Something different but interesting.

RRconway

Post by RRconway »

Cracking set Stewart, especially the 2nd one, can't be easy taking photos from a rapidly moving and rolling platform.
Where you on a lifeboat or rib or something's my simikar?

Cheers,
Jeff.
I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what I said is not what I meant.

pootle

Post by pootle »

I spent time on both the bigger lifeboats. Each time I basically hunkered down, kneeling in port side of the stern, where the rails form a nice supportive corner. Only issue was I forgot my strap so spent all morning gripping the camera so hard my hands ached later!

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

Fantastic pictures. I used to fish off Clacton pier over night and saw a couple of launches of the lifeboat. Not for the faint hearted as the lifeboat was moored away from the pier.
Thanks for sharing.

ikarus

Post by ikarus »

Superb photo's ... I bet the RNLI would consider using these :clap:

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Possibly some of the best photos I've seen on this forum for a very long time!

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

There's some truly spectacular stuff here Pootle! :clap:

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Stunning reflections on the calm ones, great spray on the lively ones, excellent :up: :clap:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

pootle

Post by pootle »

Thank you for the kind comments. I hope to go through the rest of the card and see what else I have later this week.
I always feel I have to get some good ones for the boathouse for the team given the fantastic access volunteering provides me and I jsut do the 'brave' management bits on dry land these days :grin: