Reptiles 2016

Photos that are not aviation related
st24

Reptiles 2016

Post by st24 »

My annual catch up on all things scaly... My local patch of Cannock Chase was quite poor last year - fewer Adder, no Grass snake but good numbers of Viviparous Lizard and amphibians. The area I survey has become infested with brambles and could really do with a good cut back to offer some clear basking (and photographic!) spots; looks like taking a scythe out with me next year. Visits to Snelsmore Common near Newbury revealed more Adder and my only Slow Worm encounter this year - love 'em! Lanzarote at Easter revealed large numbers of Canary Atlantic lizard and Tiger Meet at Zaragoza meant I could spend some time seeking some locals.....

Female Adder, Snelsmore

Staffordshire version-

Female Slow Worm - note the exposed cloaca- she's crapped on me! A defence mechanism.

Viviparous or Common Lizard - plenty of these about the UK, the mound at Mildenhall is a good spot to check out when there's nothing on approach!

(Not my hands - honest!)

Whilst in Spain for the Tiger Meet, manged to spend some time seeing what was about..
Quite a few Iberian Wall Lizards seen - "spiky and Stumpy" were in the undeveloped land to the South west of the airfield and showing obvious signs of tail shedding and re-growth.

Large Psammodromus in the fabulous el Planerón reserve, a superb wildlife spot

A fabulous female Ocellated or "Eyed" Lizard - bright green and quite long some 60cm or so with the tail. I saw a few at el Planerón but this one was hiding in a bush on the base just to the rear of the spotters enclosure for the afternoon session. I missed shooting the Citation for this! - aah well..

Lanzarote in Easter meant I could tick off another of the native Canary Islands species; endemic to Lanzarote and Fuerteventura - the Atlantic Lizard. Numerous around the many dry stone walls and lava flows around the islands- males with almost fluorescent blue spots and the smaller females with green spots.

Hope I haven't put you all to sleep!..
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

capercaillie

Re: Reptiles 2016

Post by capercaillie »

Very nice mate, I'll monitor (see what I did there) this one carefully. :up: :smile:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

Very nice shots seeing how fast those lizards are, I saw my first Adder in the New Forest Last year, They are beautiful snakes.
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Fascinating. I haven't done the Canaries yet, will certainly keep an eye out for the Atlantic Lizards when I do.

That Ocellated Lizard is a bit of a beast, as well!

John

john001

Post by john001 »

Interesting thanks for posting

(read the first bit and then just skipped down without reading it and was surprised to see some of the later ones on Cannock Chase!)

st24

Post by st24 »

FarnboroJohn wrote:Fascinating. I haven't done the Canaries yet, will certainly keep an eye out for the Atlantic Lizards when I do.

That Ocellated Lizard is a bit of a beast, as well!

John

Cheers, The Canaries are great for Lizard fans as there are 4 distinct endemics to several of the islands as well as regional variations, Geckos and Skinks.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=70756&p=701815&hilit=gran+canaria+giant#p701815

The Gran Canaria Giants really are something-

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=56892&p=564264&hilit=gran+canaria+giant#p564264

And yes, Ocellated are beauties, the Green is incredibly bright in good sunlight.

john001 wrote:Interesting thanks for posting

(read the first bit and then just skipped down without reading it and was surprised to see some of the later ones on Cannock Chase!)

If only!! Like aeroplanes to get something different, you've got to travel!

Georgeconna wrote:Very nice shots seeing how fast those lizards are, I saw my first Adder in the New Forest Last year, They are beautiful snakes.

They are, and need our help!

capercaillie wrote:Very nice mate, I'll monitor (see what I did there) this one carefully. :up: :smile:

:up: :facepalm: :grin:

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Great stuff - the 2016 edition of the reptile thread is as good as ever! :cool:

The Lanzarote shots in particular, with the volcanic rock, are ace.

st24

Post by st24 »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:Great stuff - the 2016 edition of the reptile thread is as good as ever! :cool:

The Lanzarote shots in particular, with the volcanic rock, are ace.

Cheers Nige, glad someone is keeping up !!