London Night Shoot with a Point & Shoot *UPDATE 2~23Mar17*

Photos that are not aviation related
Pen Pusher

London Night Shoot with a Point & Shoot *UPDATE 2~23Mar17*

Post by Pen Pusher »

I didn’t think my usual technique for hand holding/low shutter speed/low ISO night shooting would apply to using my Sony Cyber-shot RX1RMII as the camera and lens do not have built in stabilisation. Reviews of the camera say that hand holding at low shutter speeds are not advisable, challenge accepted but not this time, and went a bimbling in the dark around the central London touristy spots to see what I could come up with. Only real downside to the camera is the battery. It’s small and doesn’t last very long, around 120 images in the real world is quoted, although I had been shooting in very cold conditions and that doesn’t help battery life and using uncompressed RAW the file size goes from approximately 41Mb to 81Mb which was eating up battery power and card space as well.

Taken over several visits as it kept raining, even though it wasn’t forecast. Some on tripod, some hand held, some RAW, some Jpeg.

Big Ben........
.....Lego Ben.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

CJS

Re: London Night Shoot with a Point & Shoot.

Post by CJS »

I do like the London Eye shot. The red umbrella with the red lights on the wheel is great. Luck or did you wait for ages to get it?
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

CJS wrote:I do like the London Eye shot. The red umbrella with the red lights on the wheel is great. Luck or did you wait for ages to get it?

Luck :whistle:

Brian

DfG on Facebook

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

19Mar17
Another Sunday evening in London, hotel rooms are cheaper, and I wanted to get some night shots before the clocks changed. During my last couple of visits I had intended heading into the city after bimbling around the central touristy bits but it always started raining so this time I went straight into the city and then headed back along the south bank of the Thames towards the touristy bits. Only downside of going into the city on a Sunday is that the place is closed, nice that there are not a lot of people getting into shot, but places like Lloyds of London and the Leadenhall Building are not lit up as as they would be during the working week.

Hand held and I was using walls, lampposts, bollards and other street furniture to support the camera for low shutter speed shots and yes you’ve guessed it, by 9pm the rain that wasn’t forecast arrived.

Sony Cyber-shot RX1RMII

Brian

DfG on Facebook

Pen Pusher

Re: London Night Shoot with a Point & Shoot *UPDATE 2~23Mar1

Post by Pen Pusher »

23Mar17
With the RAF Northolt Night Shoot still advertised on Wednesday as still going ahead on Thursday, I took the precaution of quickly forming a 'Plan B' should it be cancelled due to increased security, following the fatalities at Westminster on Wednesday, while I was traveling down to London on Thursday as I had a cheap hotel room that was pre-paid with a no cancellation clause. I was on the train on the outskirts of London when the night shoot was cancelled. So Plan B it was. Didn't quite go to plan as I was going to do a bit of a mini night shoot around the memorials and statues at Hyde Park and Marble Arch. The two memorials I was after were the Animals In War on Park Lane and the Bomber Command Memorial but both were not lit up although there was enough street lighting to salvage some shots of the Animals In War Memorial. I actually started in Trafalgar Square, an eerily quiet Trafalgar Square as all traffic around it had been stopped for the candlelight vigil that had taken place earlier that evening to show solidarity with London attack victims. The crowds were slowly dispersing and the foreign TV crews were packing up. I walked up The Mall, stopping off at The National Memorial to the Queen Mother, and then onto Buckingham Palace and then along Constitution Hill to Hyde Park and the Australian War Memorial and Wellington Arch. Then up Park Lane to the Animals In War Memorial and then onto Marble Arch for the 6 tonne, 27 feet tall bronze Marwari Horse Head sculpture and the 'Danse Gwenedour' flying figures that were only unveiled to the public on March 11th this year. In the order taken.

Sony Cyber-shot RX1RMII

Brian

DfG on Facebook

john001

Post by john001 »

Some super shots there Brian.

I have to wonder 'why' about the horse head though...

Has encouraged me to go and take a look next week though - thanks for posting.

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Can't fault your eye for a good composition Brian. Some very nice pictures.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

D90Man

Post by D90Man »

Excellent images as usual Brian - I think you should create a calendar of London at Night with these.

leon
"Sharpness is in the eye of the holder"
More at http://www.planephotos.org.uk