ISS Moon Transit

ISS Moon Transit

Postby Col. Chibani on Wed 12 Apr 2017, 9:35 pm

When my company organized an ISS photo contest, I decided that it was the opportunity for me to discover the wonderful world of astrophotograhy.
I know a guy that made a wonderful shot of the ISS passing in front of the Sun (this is called a "solar transit"), while the shuttle was making it final approach !
Being not equiped to shoot the Sun (reminder DO NOT NEVER NEVER TRY TO LOOK AT THE SUN THROUGH YOUR DSLR : THIS CAN CAUSE SEVERE EYE INJURIES, INCLUDING BLINDNESS), I opted for a more peaceful Moon transit.
I quickly get introduced with http://www.CalSky.com website, that predicts such transits with French Railways accuracy (i.e. 1 sec).
Luck was with me : 2 Moon transits were to happen in the next days a few kilometers from my holyday place !
A useful "how-to" was found on this website : http://www.triggertrap.com/news/how-to-photograph-the-international-space-station.

The first Transit was a miss : cloudy weather all day, getting better and better ... and finally the last cloud disapeared from the face of the Moon exactly 2 min after the Transit.
Last chance was 3 days later. This time it was a clear night.
The count-down is impressive : the Moon transit lasting 0.6 second, "spray & pray" is the only option and there will be no "bis".

T0 minus 24 hours : settings with quite same conditions, finding the best balance between burst rate and IQ. Memory Card check & batteries loaded (I have a grip).
I did not touch my gear afterwards to avoid any mess-up
T0 minus 1 hour : gear check and loading in the car & car check. Watch sync with web time.
T0 minus 30 min : departure
T0 minus 15 min : tripod set up & setting check / manual focus on the Moon with Live View
T0 minus 10 min : 100 pic / 12 sec trigger check
T0 minus 30 s : last aiming at the Moon (the Moon is moving incredibly fast @ 600 mm)
T0 minus 2 s : fire ! (I had no remote for burst, so I had to keep my finger on the trigger for 10s, trying not to shake)
T0 : my wife, equiped with a pair of binoculars, yells "Gotcha !", as she saw a black dart crossing the Moon
T0 plus 5 s : I release the trigger, being loosely confident on the capability of my better half to make out a Space Station from a bat in the dark
T0 plus 10 s : heart restarts slowly

Now the strange part : I had seen nothing at all but maybe my Nikon caught something. If I had been alone, it would have been a completely blind shot.
Now I have to go through 100 exactly similar-looking Moon shot to find out which ones have a little speck on it.
My wife had me in the car (it was getting cold, even for loving wife, ready to come with me on such a weird middle-of-nowhere not-so-romantic midnight sortie) before I was able to spot anything.
But suddendly, here it is : 4 shots with "something" in front of the Moon !

ImageDSC_7950 by Colonel CHIBANI, sur Flickr

ImageDSC_7951 by Colonel CHIBANI, sur Flickr

ImageDSC_7952 V3 by Colonel CHIBANI, sur Flickr

ImageDSC_7953 by Colonel CHIBANI, sur Flickr

I think I had never been so photo-happy since my first not-too-blurry quite-framed averaged-exposed Spitire shot 20 years ago.
Many thanks to my wife, the guys behind CalSky, Aaron Harris and my Sun / ISS / Shuttle friend who gave me some last-minute advices, for having made this event possible !
Hello also to Thomas Pesquet up there !

If you have never tried such an experience, to get away from lazy warbirds and boring jets, I highly recommand it !

[EDIT] Typo & grammar corrections
Last edited by Col. Chibani on Thu 13 Apr 2017, 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Col. Chibani

Re: ISS Moon Transit

Postby Seamus on Wed 12 Apr 2017, 9:52 pm

That is absolutely awesome :clap: :clap: :clap:
My shots on Flickr and Airliners
Seamus

Postby ericbee123 on Wed 12 Apr 2017, 11:20 pm

Quite simply. BRILLIANT. I would be dancing around with a "blind" result like that.
Disclaimer-I have spell/grammar checked this post, it may still contain mistakes that might cause offence.
ericbee123

Postby DeltaPapa on Thu 13 Apr 2017, 6:50 am

That's incredible - I would be chuffed to bits if I could make a capture like that. :clap: :clap: :clap:
DeltaPapa

Postby aceyone on Thu 13 Apr 2017, 10:18 am

Superb capture ! :clap:
Don't know about those jets ,they spoil a very nice place
aceyone

Postby Airwolfhound on Thu 13 Apr 2017, 11:40 am

Outstanding, and love the narrative :-) :clap: :clap:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)
Airwolfhound

Postby helired3 on Thu 13 Apr 2017, 1:00 pm

Wow that's excellent :clap: :clap: :clap:
Ian Harris https://www.flickr.com/photos/133062485@N05/

Nikon D750
Nikon D7200
Sigma 500 F4.5
Tamron 150-600 G2
helired3

Postby capercaillie on Thu 13 Apr 2017, 1:59 pm

Great stuff Colonel. :clap: :worship:

It sure beats a Tornado. :whistle:
"The surrogate voice of st24"
capercaillie

Postby TKK 140 on Thu 13 Apr 2017, 6:47 pm

Excellent, very well done, the satellite makes it a great photograph.
TKK 140

Postby RRconway on Thu 13 Apr 2017, 8:41 pm

A resounding well done sir :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
As an aspiring Astro photographer who still struggles to set up his driven mount I am in awe.
I was taking moon photos the other evening through my smaller more mobile scope so may well try this myself.

Absolutely excellent, Well done.

POTW?

Jeff.
I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what I said is not what I meant.
RRconway

Postby Rick on Fri 14 Apr 2017, 11:32 pm

As others have said, outstanding results :clap: :clap:
Very well done.
Slackers of the World unite !
Tomorrow.
Rick

Postby Spiny Norman on Sat 15 Apr 2017, 8:37 am

Superb capture. Well worth the effort.
I want to see a flying Mosquito in the UK. I'm supporting The People's Mosquito.
http://www.peoplesmosquito.org.uk/
Spiny Norman

Postby Luke28 on Sat 15 Apr 2017, 10:59 pm

I can only echo what has been said, absolutely brilliant!
Luke28

Postby ColeTheDemolisher on Sat 15 Apr 2017, 11:41 pm

WOW :shock:
Canon 750D & Canon 75-300

The Jacket kid

Sorry Goose, but its time to Buzz the tower...

Dudley, West Midlands
ColeTheDemolisher

Postby Col. Chibani on Tue 18 Apr 2017, 8:51 pm

Hello and thank you for your comments.

I tried to make a composite image from the 4 photos, but it seems that my camera, or my finger, had a hiccup during the transit, and something seems to be missing :oops: :

ImageFusion by Colonel CHIBANI, sur Flickr

I have the choice now to remove the 3rd image or to fake the "missing link" (the latter I refuse, based on some personal, old-fashionned ethics :wat: ).
Col. Chibani

Postby Col. Chibani on Sat 11 Nov 2017, 10:40 am

Some news : my photo ranked 2nd place in my company contest (by popular voting), and I was awarded a telescope !*

With it, it is possible to see the rings of Saturn with the (almost) naked eye, which is a moving experience.
You can't help imagining the first guy in history who had enjoyed such a sight :shock: .
Last summer, it was the family attraction during the night.

After having recently purchased the required adaptator, I was able to test it with my Nikon D7100.
Unfortunatly, poor weather and a thight schedule prevented me from taking something else than the Moon.

ImageDSC_0824 by Colonel CHIBANI, sur Flickr

But il looks promising :smile: .

* First prize was a DSLR, which I obviously already possess, so I was purposely aiming for 2nd place :biggrin: .
Col. Chibani

Postby FarnboroJohn on Sat 11 Nov 2017, 12:27 pm

RRconway wrote:A resounding well done sir :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
As an aspiring Astro photographer who still struggles to set up his driven mount I am in awe.
I was taking moon photos the other evening through my smaller more mobile scope so may well try this myself.

Absolutely excellent, Well done.

POTW?

Jeff.

POTY.....

John
FarnboroJohn

Postby ikarus on Sat 11 Nov 2017, 12:58 pm

Crikey superb captures :clap:
ikarus

Postby speedbird2639 on Sun 12 Nov 2017, 10:11 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41956191

Jupiter's four Galilean moons will also be visible to those with a telescope

Now who do we know with a shiny new telescope and a decent camera? Go on Col. You know you want to get up a bit earlier tomorrow.

Nailed on PotW if you get a nice capture!
speedbird2639

Postby Col. Chibani on Sun 12 Nov 2017, 10:21 pm

Unfortunately, my telescope is currently stored in my country house, in the center of France, from where I can enjoy the clearest skies you can imagine.
But be assured that I will continue to share with you my future astrophotographic achievements.
Col. Chibani

Postby King Cobra on Thu 23 Nov 2017, 10:17 am

Top notch. Go to the top of the class.
King Cobra

Postby Col. Chibani on Wed 25 Apr 2018, 9:45 pm

Thanks to some quite early warm spring days (& nights) in France, I was able to make new trials with my telescope.
This time, I took my time, shot in RAW, used a wired remote (a Christmas present) and tried to fine-tune the focus with LiveView.
With some simple post-processing, here is the result I am quite pleased of :

ImageDSC_1596_00001 by Colonel CHIBANI, sur Flickr

Next target is Saturn, during Summer vacations !
Col. Chibani

Return to General Photography