Mink encounter

Photos that are not aviation related
aceyone

Mink encounter

Post by aceyone »

Was sitting minding my own business when this little chap ( or chappess ) bounded up to me,just had time to grab a few pics before it disappeared in the undergrowth !

Whatever your views on them,you can't deny that they are an attractive creature !
thanks for looking
Don't know about those jets ,they spoil a very nice place

Airwolfhound

Re: Mink encounter

Post by Airwolfhound »

Whilst it isn't native, I have no problems with such animals, absolutely gorgeous. In fact I have no problems with non-native species, an animal is an animal and I will always be supportive of them. Humans tho...... lol ;-)
Super pics and thanks for sharing :-)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

The trouble with introduced species can be their effect on the indigenous wildlife, in the case of mink their near extermination of the water vole.

https://www.norfolkwildlifetrust.org.uk/wildlife-in-norfolk/species-explorer/mammals/american-mink

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

I'm well aware of the arguments and I knew I shouldn't have commented as usually when I open my mouth I usually cause trouble lol. Like I said I have no problems with whatever animal or nature as it happens. It was man's fault for bringing in the species in the first place, it's not the animals fault for killing other animals. I'll go back to my cave lol ;-)

st24

Post by st24 »

Mustelids are undeniably attractive animals but they're also incredibly potent predators. I know where you're coming from and yes they're "our problem" but then again pretty much everything that is crap in the world is human by design and we can't just ignore it. I did hear that there are strict protocols now for getting rid of Mink in that they have to be "caught in the act" so to speak, no more random trapping and disposals. With no predator other than roadkill they do need keeping in check - too much native wildlife is at risk.
Then we need to start on cats.... :wink:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

st24

Post by st24 »

Mustelids are undeniably attractive animals but they're also incredibly potent predators. I know where you're coming from and yes they're "our problem" but then again pretty much everything that is crap in the world is human by design and we can't just ignore it. I did hear that there are strict protocols now for getting rid of Mink in that they have to be "caught in the act" so to speak, no more random trapping and disposals. With no predator other than roadkill they do need keeping in check - too much native wildlife is at risk.
Then we need to start on cats.... :wink:

john001

Post by john001 »

st24 wrote:Then we need to start on cats.... :wink:

Indeed the effect of feral cats on the Scottish wildcat is a major threat

st24

Post by st24 »

john001 wrote:
st24 wrote:Then we need to start on cats.... :wink:

Indeed the effect of feral cats on the Scottish wildcat is a major threat

Absolutely, and general wildlife quite literally the world over.

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

Much rather have a cull on humans first before wildlife.......I can think of several politicians to start off with :grin:

But I do understand all the points in the arguments, but my opinions are mine are mine alone and I do realise they are not always agreed upon no matter what sort of statistics are thrown in my direction :grin:

ericbee123

Post by ericbee123 »

A bigger problem than mink ( where I live ) is now Otters. Otters have been re-introduced into rivers that have been raped of small fish by cormorants, because trawlers have emptied the seas of their food. So otters have been eating the remaining large fish and are now ranging far and wide into ponds, fisheries and fish farms. An otter is an order of magnitude higher in the risk to fisheries, so the cuddly little critters are being shot and dumped as far away as possible, as most of them are chipped. Man is the problem , but which one. The trawler man raping the sea, the environmentalists restoring otters into their old habitats, which have changed so much or the fishery owner trying to protect his business ?

The mink was in the main released by nutters who didn't consider anything !
Disclaimer-I have spell/grammar checked this post, it may still contain mistakes that might cause offence.

DonaldGrump

Post by DonaldGrump »

Your lucky it did'nt go up your trouser leg and have your goolies off, all your mail addressed to Ms in the future....vicious little buggers.

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

ericbee123 wrote:The mink was in the main released by nutters who didn't consider anything !

Ain't that the truth!

Sorry to hear about the problems with otters. As always it comes down to interfering mankind. You'd think that by now we'd have worked out how to live in harmony with other creatures on this planet. Sadly the first reaction as always seems to be to reach for the traps, the guns, and the poison et al.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP