Birds and beasts from Cornwall

Photos that are not aviation related
DaveM

Birds and beasts from Cornwall

Post by DaveM »

Having worked Weds & Thurs in the SW, I stayed on Land's End for a couple of days in the hope of some vagrant American birds after some suitable weather but as usual was denied until I was heading home over the Devon / Cornwall border!

ImageDunlin (Calidris alpina). Davidstow Airfield, Cornwall. September 2017 by Dave Morgan, on Flickr

ImageRinged Plover (Charadrius hiaticula). Davidstow Airfield, Cornwall. September 2017 by Dave Morgan, on Flickr

ImageBuff-breasted Sandpiper (Calidris subruficollis). Davidstow Airfield, Cornwall. September 2017 by Dave Morgan, on Flickr

ImageRinged Plover (Charadrius hiaticula). Davidstow Airfield, Cornwall. September 2017 by Dave Morgan, on Flickr

ImageBuff-breasted Sandpiper (Calidris subruficollis). Davidstow Airfield, Cornwall. September 2017 by Dave Morgan, on Flickr

ImageRed Deer (Cervus elaphus) Porthgwarra Moor, Cornwall. September 2017. by Dave Morgan, on Flickr

ImageRed Deer (Cervus elaphus) Porthgwarra Moor, Cornwall. September 2017. by Dave Morgan, on Flickr

ImageSpotted Flycatcher (Muscicapa striata) Land's End, Cornwall. September 2017. by Dave Morgan, on Flickr

ImageSpotted Flycatcher (Muscicapa striata) Land's End, Cornwall. September 2017. by Dave Morgan, on Flickr

Airwolfhound

Re: Birds and beasts from Cornwall

Post by Airwolfhound »

Fabulous to see, thanks for posting :-)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Very nice, particularly the confiding Buff-breasties, how many were there? :up:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Dr Cake

Post by Dr Cake »

Love those sandpiper in the rain shots! :smile:

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Davidstow probably the top place in the UK to see Buff-breasts, how new birds hatched on the North American tundra during the summer and lost on their first migration hit the same spot every year is amazing.

Cracking shots (out of the car window I assume?) Nice work getting both in the one shot, and I like the rain effects too.

It's a bit thin rarity-wise up here on Shetland but I might pull a few pix together when I get back.

Cheers

John

DaveM

Post by DaveM »

capercaillie wrote:Very nice, particularly the confiding Buff-breasties, how many were there? :up:

Thanks Paul. Until I found No.2 :biggrin: moments before the pic of 2 was taken there was only 1... :yahoo: but I think the count got up to 3 in the past week which could have been a fresh one but did coincide with the Sennen bird leaving.

FarnboroJohn wrote:Davidstow probably the top place in the UK to see Buff-breasts, how new birds hatched on the North American tundra during the summer and lost on their first migration hit the same spot every year is amazing.

Yes, utterly amazing, probably the only species/location that you can go to in search of and actually have half a chance of finding in the right conditions.

FarnboroJohn wrote:Cracking shots (out of the car window I assume?) Nice work getting both in the one shot, and I like the rain effects too.

Thanks! Yes, camera resting on window trying to keep it dry in the utter filth that was happening that day. A bit brighter the next day but no sun unfortunately.

FarnboroJohn wrote:It's a bit thin rarity-wise up here on Shetland but I might pull a few pics together when I get back.

There's been a couple of real crackers early season but Buff-bellied Pipit and the Parrotbills show movement from both directions.

I am however feeling rather old at the moment with the Cedar Waxwing and Cliff Swallow in Scilly, neither have raised a panic having already seen them over here well over a decade ago! :hide:

aceyone

Post by aceyone »

Great set !
Don't know about those jets ,they spoil a very nice place

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Good work. Quite a good aviation museum at Davidstow Airfield if I remember correctly.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

colper

Post by colper »

Superb set,nice variety.

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

DaveM wrote:[
FarnboroJohn wrote:It's a bit thin rarity-wise up here on Shetland but I might pull a few pics together when I get back.

There's been a couple of real crackers early season but Buff-bellied Pipit and the Parrotbills show movement from both directions.

I am however feeling rather old at the moment with the Cedar Waxwing and Cliff Swallow in Scilly, neither have raised a panic having already seen them over here well over a decade ago! :hide:

I know what you mean about the Cedar Waxwing and Cliff Swallow - for me it was the Rose-breasted Grosbeak, my last one having been 1987....

Better day today with Red-flanked Bluetail, two male Parrot Crossbills and the Buff-bellied Pipit all showing this afternoon. Decent pix of the last two so the material is stacking up!

Cheers

John

st24

Post by st24 »

Birds are great but I'm drawn to that "what you looking at" face on that imposing looking Stag!
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!