Pre Christmas London Bimble ~ 18Dec17

Photos that are not aviation related
Pen Pusher

Pre Christmas London Bimble ~ 18Dec17

Post by Pen Pusher »

I hadn’t intended going to London on Monday but the weather forecast was for wall to wall blue sky and sunshine, but cold, before reverting back to normal winter weather of cloud and rain so too good an opportunity not to take advantage of and besides I wanted to try out my shoot in the dark lens in daylight. Down side to the excellent weather was that there was very little wind to blow away the traffic pollution and by sunset you could see a band of exhaust haze hanging over the city and by the end of my bimble I had a sore throat which fortunately cleared once I started breathing the clear Cambridgeshire air again. Photos in the order taken.

Skate rink and the Fortnum and Mason Christmas tree in the courtyard of Somerset House.

Built in Victorian Gothic Style out of grey stone, the Royal Courts of Justice were opened by Queen Victoria in 1882.

Although DC Thomson, publisher of the Sunday Post, Dundee Courier and the Beano, have their head office in Dundee they also have a London office at 185 Fleet Street. The address is actually more famous as being the location where the Demon Barber of Fleet Street, one Sweeney Todd operated his cut throat business. Only trouble is that Sweeney Todd never existed as he was a fictional character created for the Victorian Penny Dreadful story ‘The String of Pearls’ that was serialised over the winter of 1846-47.

The Holborn Viaduct was a road bridge completed in 1869 and now carries the A40 over the A201 more commonly known as Farringdon Road.

Looking south towards the River Thames from the Holborn Viaduct, Farringdon Road was completed in 1840 and follows the route of the River Fleet which drained water from Hampstead Heath down to the Thames. The River Fleet, where Fleet Street got its name from, became more an open sewer than river which was why it was covered over by the road and today the Fleet still runs under the Farringdon Road and discharges into the Thames from a small outlet under Blackfriars Bridge.

Chinese pre-wedding photo shoot around St Paul’s Cathedral. A Chinese custom for couples to have their wedding photos taken before the wedding ceremony so on their wedding day back in China/Hong Kong/Taiwan they can show them to their guests.

The Bank of England, Threadneedle Street.

Leadenhall Market, who’s origins date back to to the 14th Century, is a lot more photogenic at night.

An empty Thames Rockets RIB who claim to have the fastest passenger carrying rides along the Thames at 35mph. Looking down from the Millennium footbridge.

Looking east along the Thames towards Southwark Bridge from the Millennium Bridge.

View looking east along the public viewing terrace at the top of the One New Change Shopping Centre.

Grateous Arty-Farty Shot - taken in the reflection of the sloping glass panels along the roof terrace, see photo above, rotated 180deg so the flag stones of the terrace form the sky, the drainage channel the horizon and the roof panels the ground.

St Paul’s Cathedral at sunset.

Slightly different angle of St Paul’s at sunset.

The Trafalgar Square Christmas Tree has been donated by the Norwegians since 1947 and the plaque at the bottom of of the tree reads ‘This tree is given by the city of Oslo as a token of Norwegian gratitude to the people of London for their assistance during the years 1940-45’

Victory House, Leicester Square, was built in 1899 as the Hotel de l’Europe and is still a hotel to this day.

Sony a6300 + Sigma 16mm 1.4 DC DN/C lens, manual settings, hand held.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

AlexC

Re: Pre Christmas London Bimble ~ 18Dec17

Post by AlexC »

Very good.

Not sure if I've mentioned it before, but it's well worth a trip to the top of the Shard, great views from up there. Also great views of Canary Wharf etc. from Greenwich Observatory.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Pen Pusher

Re: Pre Christmas London Bimble ~ 18Dec17

Post by Pen Pusher »

I've had an overnight stay in the Shard.
http://www.lowlightfotography.co.uk/06- ... se_flash=1

There is also the Sky Garden in 20 Fenchurch Street.
http://www.lowlightfotography.co.uk/15- ... se_flash=1

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook