Dragonfly emerges from larva.

Photos that are not aviation related
Mooshie1956

Dragonfly emerges from larva.

Post by Mooshie1956 »

Today I was lucky enough to be able to watch a dragonfly emerging from it's larva state. I managed to grab some shots of it but as it was low down and amongst the grass it was difficult to get a good focus lock on it, just wish I had taken my wellies now :sad: . Anyway it was still good to get some record shots.
1. Dangling close to the water
2. Can't get my head wet and I'm nearly there
3. One more push
4. I'm out, wow just missed the water
5. Now I need to dry off

Another was also emerging that was in a better position for me, but unfortunately I didn't have the time to stay for it.
Image2nd Dragon by Peter Hurley, on Flickr

I hope you enjoyed them, I know the quality isn't great but how often do you get the chance to see nature at it's best.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

sdad

Re: Dragonfly emerges from larva.

Post by sdad »

How long does it take? I see they come out near the "shoulders". Does the tail come out first, then the head?

Mooshie1956

Re: Dragonfly emerges from larva.

Post by Mooshie1956 »

sdad wrote:How long does it take? I see they come out near the "shoulders". Does the tail come out first, then the head?

They come out head first as far as I know, and they can take 2 hours plus to fully emerge from what I've been told. These pictures were taken over about a 30 minute period and I had been there for quite a while before the pictures were taken. I had to go back to the car and get my long lens as I only had my 12-60 on me at the time we saw them coming out.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens