Post a reply

Female Sparrowhawk

Tue 26 Jun 2018, 10:19 am

cooling off

thanks for looking

Re: Female Sparrowhawk

Tue 26 Jun 2018, 12:15 pm

One of my favourite raptors, although pretty much love all raptors :smile:

Fabulous photos. Occasionally get a Sparrowhawk land on our fence, but never sticks around long enough for a photo, well jel :clap:

Tue 26 Jun 2018, 3:29 pm

Envious of the views and pics!

There's quite a lot of rufous on the face and the flank barring. How certain are you of the female status?

Tue 26 Jun 2018, 3:59 pm

FarnboroJohn wrote:Envious of the views and pics!

There's quite a lot of rufous on the face and the flank barring. How certain are you of the female status?

Thanks,definitely female , the male visited several times with food but I couldn't get a decent pic :sad:

Tue 26 Jun 2018, 5:02 pm

aceyone wrote:

Thanks,definitely female , the male visited several times with food but I couldn't get a decent pic :sad:

They are very quick. I suspect they are a bit nervous of their mates, which after all are comfortably large enough to predate them - and have been known to, though not within a stable relationship. :grin:

Interesting plumage. I shall have to be a bit more reticent about sexing Sparrowhawks on that feature.

Wed 27 Jun 2018, 1:49 pm

Saw one perched on the feeding station a few days ago. Needless to say, all the garden birds were nowhere to be seen for quite some time after she flew off.

Wed 27 Jun 2018, 2:01 pm

FarnboroJohn wrote:
aceyone wrote:

They are very quick. I suspect they are a bit nervous of their mates, which after all are comfortably large enough to predate them - and have been known to, though not within a stable relationship. :grin:

Interesting plumage. I shall have to be a bit more reticent about sexing Sparrowhawks on that feature.

I was a bit confused myself, here the slightly smaller male is on the right

and if that doesn't convince you then :butt: :grin:

that should :lol:
Post a reply