An Ultra-Wide Angle View Of London………

Photos that are not aviation related
Pen Pusher

An Ultra-Wide Angle View Of London………

Post by Pen Pusher »

…..with a Laowa 9mm f/2.8 Zero-D Ultra-Wide Angle Lens.

Nothing spectacular, just the usual London tourist shots as I get used to what this very, very wide angle lens is capable of. The Zero-D refers to ‘zero distortion’ which reduces barrel distortion, in lens and not through software, to almost zero and the converging lines are straight and not curved as you would get with barrel distortion. A Wide Angle lens, 113 degree angle of view in this case, is one where the focal length of the lens is shorter than the short side of the sensor (lens @ 9mm + 1.5 crop = 13.5mm, short side of the 24mp sensor = 16mm). Manual focus with this lens is not really a problem. One of the few reviews I’ve read on the lens said that if you set the distance scale to 1 meter, about part way between the infinity symbol and 0.5m, and the aperture between f5.6 and f11, then everything from 1 meter in front of you to infinity will be sharp and in focus. It worked for me. Photos below are in the order taken and have not been cropped, vignetting (reviews state this is a problem through all apertures) has not been corrected with software and converging lines have not been straightened. All further photos I take with the Laowa 9mm will be corrected.

J.Seaward Johnson Jr (American) - TAXI - 1983 - Cast Bronze - JPMorgan Chase Art Collection.

Between Blackfriars Railway bridge and Blackfriars Road bridge are the remains of the supports of the first Blackfriars Railway Bridge that was built in 1864 and demolished in 1985.

The view from Paul’s Walk looking west along the Thames.

Whenever Photography magazines do articles on abstract building photography, they nearly always use this shot but never say where it is.

Steps and sculpture up to public viewing gallery at St Magnus House.

‘There’s No Place Like Home’ between the arches on a public walkway along Lower Thames Street but the more I looked at it, the more I was convinced this was an art installation rather than a homeless persons abode. Nothing found on the tinternet to prove otherwise though.

Selfie in the office windows of St Magnus House.

Looking east from the public viewing gallery at St Magnus House.

Low tide view looking west along the Thames from next to the Custom House.

An image I’ve not been able to get in one shot before looking straight up at the Lantern in Leadenhall Market. Looks better at night.

Lloyds of London reflected in the Willis Building.

Gratuitous tourist shot of the Tower of London.

Pedestrian walkway between Charing Cross Rail Station and the Golden Jubilee Bridge.

Don’t think he’s quite grasped the art of Busking. A snatched shot as I crossed the Golden Jubilee Bridge.

Audience participation with a street artist on The Queen’s Walk, South Bank.

Couldn’t quite get further back to get all the Coca-Cola London Eye in one shot.

Not so much for the subject matter, the seagulls outside McDonalds on the South Bank let you get quite close thinking you have food, but more for lens flare, bottom right hand corner, which can be a problem for some shots.

The former County Hall and London Eye basking in the early evening sunset.

Chilling out in Trafalgar Square.

Handyside Street, Kings Cross.

Sony a6500 APS-C Camera + Laowa 9mm f/2.8 Zero-D Ultra-Wide Angle Lens.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

BrawlerO

Re: An Ultra-Wide Angle View Of London………

Post by BrawlerO »

Great shots Brian and a good usage example. I might pick one up for my 6300. Would make a fun combo for cities and interiors. Nice work. :clap:

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

Nice interesting photos, I always like these posts from you.
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

motormouser

Post by motormouser »

Great set of pics...very intresting :smile:

GeorgeP

Post by GeorgeP »

A nice set, Brian. Very little evidence of convergence or distortion. Is the lens available with a Canon mount? I have a 17-40L on my FF Canon 6D and the distortion is HUGE. So is the convergence of vertical lines.
Cheers,

George

Melbourne, Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30699732@N05/albums

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Sorry George, designed for crop/APS-C sensors only.

https://www.laowalens.co.uk/laowa-9mm-f ... eos-m.html

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Always enjoy seeing your photos of London Brian. Interesting to see how my home time is changing with regard to architecture etc., generally for the better I'd say.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

GeorgeP

Post by GeorgeP »

Pen Pusher wrote:Sorry George, designed for crop/APS-C sensors only.

https://www.laowalens.co.uk/laowa-9mm-f ... eos-m.html

Brian
Thanks for the response, Brian. From the link that you supplied, I see that they also make a f/2.8, 12mm version for both FF and APS-C. Will give unsubtle hints to Her about Father's Day / birthday presents. :grin:
Cheers,

George

Melbourne, Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30699732@N05/albums