London Christmas Lights with a Point and Shoot ~ 18Nov18

Photos that are not aviation related
Pen Pusher

London Christmas Lights with a Point and Shoot ~ 18Nov18

Post by Pen Pusher »

I wasn’t intending doing the London Christmas Lights this year as they are basically the same as last year and the year before and ...etc., etc.. As I’m spending this weekend in Dundee, night shooting around the new V&A Museum/RRS Discovery and whatever else I can find up there, I thought it best to try out my Sony RX1R II (42MP/full frame) point & shoot on a hand held night shoot last weekend as I’m taking it north of the border with me and need some practice in the dark with it before I get up there.

Oxford Street were going to have new Christmas lights this year to celebrate the opening of the new Tottenham Court Road CrossRail Link station but as that’s been postponed till next year, they have gone with the snowball lights, again.

Regent Street have the Flying Angels, again.

Bond Street have the Peacock motif, again.

You can guarantee that Carnaby Street will have something different each year and the theme they have chosen for this year is Queen/Bohemian Rhapsody to tie in with the film release. I believe the surviving members of Queen switched the lights on here.

The Strand have added a bit of colour to their lights this year.

Christmas tree outside Covent Garden Market.

Mistletoe and glitters balls inside Covent Garden Market, again.

Festive Morris Minor outside Covent Garden Market.

Seven Dials, Covent Garden, have gone for a snowflake theme this year.

Not exactly a Christmas decoration but as I was in the area, a gratuitos touristy shot of the Palace Theatre, Shaftesbury Avenue.

Slingsby Place, Covent Garden with their 12 Days of Christmas theme, again.

Directly opposite Slingsby Place is Conduit Court which this year has been given a makeover with a light installation called ‘Infinity Chamber’........

…..which takes you into Floral Court, which has shops and restaurants in it, and a load of potted Christmas trees covered in LED/fairy lights.

Sony RX1R II
Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Slinger65

Re: London Christmas Lights with a Point and Shoot ~ 18Nov18

Post by Slinger65 »

Some very impressive images there - what sort of ISO / shutter speed were you using?
Slinger65

Panasonic Lumix FZ1000

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Shutter speed was in the region of 1/20 to 1/30th second. AUTO ISO ranging from 100 to 6400 but if you add a bit of negative exposure compensation then it does bring the ISO down.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Slinger65

Post by Slinger65 »

Thanks Brian, the low light performance is impressive as many of those wouldn't have been possible with a tripod given the amount of people around.
Slinger65

Panasonic Lumix FZ1000

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

As said, very impressive! It's many, many years since I tried anything like that in London, and that was with a tripod and Kodachrome.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Euan Buchan

Post by Euan Buchan »

Lovely
The Concorde Forum
A Site Dedicated For Concorde Fans
http://theconcordeforum.freeforums.net/