Filters

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
G-CVIX

Filters

Post by G-CVIX »

No doubt this has been discussed before...

I'm looking to shell out for the 400mm f5.6 in a couple of months and I will, of course, need a UV filter to protect that precious glass! Having heard stories of filters reducing image quality I was wondering what you guys use?

I was looking at this - it claims to have no effect on the image quality and for a reasonable price.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hoya-Protector- ... 4QZ76C9QSF

What do you think?

Eizo

Re: Filters

Post by Eizo »

I use my lense hood! ;) I will never put any filter on my camera. As I take care of it I do not have to fear scratches and such things. UV-Filter is already integrated in camera, so it can only make the image quality worse. If you want to have a good filter you will have to buy a B&W or comparable for > 100 Euro at 77mm.... The only filter I use is a circular polarizing filter.

viper28

Post by viper28 »

DON'T DO IT!!! sorry to shout but I had a quality Hoya UV filter on my 400mm F5.6L and it shagged the image quality beyond belief and affected the AF as well. I had the filter on from day-1 and it was so bad I nearly sold the lens in disgust at the quality. It was not until someone else on the forum said they had the same issue, that I tested it without the filter - different lens! The lens has a very good metal intergated hood, I just take off the cap and extend that.
Cheers Simon

You can't beat a good Canon shot

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

Thanks for the comments, I'm looking (and paying) for image quality so I don't want to lose any!

Thinking about it, I might order one anyway and do a couple of tests to see how much quality is lost, then I can send it back if I don't want it.

Ben Montgomery

Post by Ben Montgomery »

Same problem for me - nice new Hoya Pro1 UV filter for the 100-400 and it completely messed all my Vulcan pictures at Duxford. Then i took it off and all was well.

ythanpythan

Post by ythanpythan »

I'm using the hoya pro 1d on my 400mm f5.6 and don't notice any difference in quality.