Which scanner

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
scotthldr

Which scanner

Post by scotthldr »

Looking at getting a scanner soon to copy the 1000's of photos that I have and was wondering if any one on here can recommend a good but not too expensive one. All my pics are prints 7.5x5 Any info much appreciated.

Cheers Scott

AlexC

Re: Which scanner

Post by AlexC »

Do you not still have the negatives? A scan of a negative is generally better then one of a print.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

scotthldr

Post by scotthldr »

AlexC wrote:Do you not still have the negatives? A scan of a negative is generally better then one of a print.

Most of them, somewhere in a box. Do you not have to have a special program for copying negs ?

awacsfan

Post by awacsfan »

Nope - it's usually all included in the scanner software that comes with it.

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

I hope that the box is not up in the loft, because the heat in the roofspace can seriously damage them as I found out to my cost. Pretty obvious though. :oops:
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

scotthldr

Post by scotthldr »

AlexC wrote:I hope that the box is not up in the loft, because the heat in the roofspace can seriously damage them as I found out to my cost. Pretty obvious though. :oops:

Yip thats exactly where they'll be. When you say heat is that excessive or lack of heat, as my loft is fairly cool.

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Have you been up there in mid-summer? It can get mighty hot in there in those conditions believe me, I've had to inspect quite a few roof spaces (it's amazing how much stuff some people shove up there) in my time! Bring 'em down ASAP.