Advice on selling a picture

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
vulcan57

Advice on selling a picture

Post by vulcan57 »

Hi

Having never been in this situation before I am looking for some advice. I have just recieved the following e-mail from Hamilton Sundstrand Marketing Communications Department concerning one of my pictures on worldairpics.com. :-

Amanda Sergeant-Canfield has a comment or query on your picture of Boeing 767-241/ER, filename: _MG_0189.jpg.
Click on the link to see your picture: http://www.worldairpics.com/photo/1028144/M/

----------------------------------

Roger, Good Morning. I am contacting you from Hamilton Sundstrand Marketing Communications Department and we are considering purchasing, depending on the cost, your photo for unlimited internal use (inside the company), if you would be willing to grant that written permission
Please let us know what this would cost.
Thanks for your time
Amanda

Does this seem genuine and how much should I ask for? Never sold a picture so would very much appreciate some guidance.

pikey01

Re: Advice on selling a picture

Post by pikey01 »

Have you read this thread?

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1618

Lumix

Post by Lumix »

Nice one! Have a read at this recent thread: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1618

As for how mich to ask? I'd be inclined to try $50 and see how they react.

Eizo

Post by Eizo »

Looks weird, because the image (I hope you do not mind!) is NOTHING special. Standard sideshot as thousands are in the web. I think this is a joke for getting details from you like bank account...

vulcan57

Post by vulcan57 »

Thanks lads for the replies and the link. Having read the replies on the on the other thread, and considering the fact that they actually asked for a price, I have said that they can use it as requested for €30. Just wait and see if I get a reply now. In any case, whatever the outcome, someone took notice of one of my pictures, which is a first for me. I am not out to make a living from it anyway.

PHANTOM

Post by PHANTOM »

Looks genuine enough
http://www.hamiltonsundstrand.com/vgn-e ... 01000aRCRD
Your shot is obviously of interest to them and they have requested a price (at least they asked and expected to pay something), i think dependandt on what exactly they will be using it for you request is more than reasonable, and could be a leader into more interest in the future.
What i tend to do is offer an image (non aviation related) for a lower than normal price, buty make that very clear to the purchaser as a sweetener for future interest.
No point in being greedy and if doen sensibly you can recoup in the future the lower price of the initial image.
It doesnt always work but at the end fo the day if you are happy to sell at a price then that is all that matters.
Another tip, i always try and get payment via paypal or cheque that way you aren't giving away any personal info. I dont ever send any images to anyone without first securing payment unless it is soemone i have delat with before and trust.
Paypal is the best way as it offers a little more protection and is pretty quick.

Post by 40612 »

Get Amanda's phone number and ask her out.
:blinky:

StephenEThomas

Post by StephenEThomas »

Have a look at this link

http://www.londonfreelance.org/feesguide/phpubrat.html

Scroll down to the following:

"RATES: Stock pictures: In-house magazine
Public relations category: Low budget
Cover 280
Double-page spread 235
Full page 180
3/4 page 150
1/2 page 100
1/4 page 70
1/8 page 60"

You may want to check on the size they intended to use the image, and bear in mind that these are full commercial rates, and discount accordingly.

Does this seem a fair approach to anyone, it's what I would do, but I don't have any direct experience

Steve

vulcan57

Post by vulcan57 »

More interesting as time goes on. Just had a reply saying that the issue is to be disgussed at a meeting on Thurs afternoon and would I look at the list attached and let her know if I have pictures of any of the air aircraft on it......There are 62 aircraft in the list!

Glenn Beasley

Post by Glenn Beasley »

Fingers crossed you hear back from them but don't hold your breath....

vulcan57

Post by vulcan57 »

Glenn Beasley wrote:Fingers crossed you hear back from them but don't hold your breath....

Oh I'm not.

vulcan57

Post by vulcan57 »

Well I sent them some links to a few of my other pictures that were on the list of 62 that they sent me. They had their meeting and last night I got a reply. They now want 13 of my pictures and have offered me €368 for the lot :yahoo: , which, of course, I have accepted. Can't believe my luck as there are plenty of other photographers out there that are far better than me. Don't know how they came up with the figure of €368. Thanks for the advice folks.

PHANTOM

Post by PHANTOM »

Sounds like a more than reasonable result.
Nice one matey and congratulations.
Looks like a good day for flogging images, had an email today from a law firm wanting to buy a load of pics from me for an isurance job they are investigating, more tha happy with the price we agreed and looks like it might lead to other business in the future.
More funds for the under the mattress account. :grin: :grin: