Advice on taking camera to USA

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
Bill_M

Advice on taking camera to USA

Post by Bill_M »

Hope this is the correct place for this - please move as required.
Have booked a family holiday in USA next year. No aviation related plans as yet, but would like to take the DSLR for the sights and any opportunities available.
It appears lots of the members here travel to USA and take their camera gear for the shows, museums, etc..
Could anyone advise if there are any problems or recommend best way to transport the camera - seem to remember reading that Li-ion batteries were not allowed on the flights.
Any advice/recommendations welcome.
Thank you in advance.
Bill

KarlADrage

Re: Advice on taking camera to USA

Post by KarlADrage »

It's only the bigger 1D style batteries that are an issue for hand baggage, I think (if it even applies to them). It was suggested that any spare batteries should be carried with their protective cover on, but in my experience it's never been checked.

Other than that there really isn't anything to worry about. Occasionally you may get stopped at security simply because the camera/lens can just look like a mass of metal in your hand luggage, blocking the view of anything else that might be lurking. Most places are pretty good at identifying what something is just from the scan now though.

Bill_M

Post by Bill_M »

Karl
Thank you for your prompt reply - much appreciated.

Bill

eaglekepr

Post by eaglekepr »

I've made several trips back and forth over the last year (and several other places around the world) and have had zero issues with my camera and airport security. I have a Lowepro backpack that I carry my 30D, 100-400, and a couple smaller lenses for a carry-on. The battery thing was blown way out of proportion when it was first announced and then clarified soon after. You'd have to have I think several dozen LARGE Li-Ion batteries or several laptop batteries to qualify. I've always had three BP-511 batteries and my laptop and it was never mentioned by security. Although, to be safe, I've always put the covers on those that weren't installed, or put tape over the ends of AA's that were loose in my bag.

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

I've been to the States a couple of time recently without any real problems. Security wanted to do hand searches of my large Billingham bag twice on internal flights, but it only held me up for two or three minutes which was OK.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Jorgo

Post by Jorgo »

A friend of mine suggested that he hid the batteries 'in himself', assisted with the use of vaseline. :shock:

Many thanks to TonyO for his help in entirely different and unrelated matters....
www.actionairimages.com

TonyO

Post by TonyO »

Jorgo wrote:A friend of mine suggested that he hid the batteries 'in himself', assisted with the use of vaseline. :shock:

Many thanks to TonyO for his help in entirely different and unrelated matters....

That was cheap but not entirely unexpected... :grin:
Do you want the Aladeen news or the Aladeen news?

APG

Post by APG »

I have been out to the States a few times this year, just back from NYC and have had no problems with camera gear.

Bill_M

Post by Bill_M »

Thanks for the replies but I think I'll pass, (or perhaps I should say I won't pass!), on one of the suggestions. :grin: