Shadows in corners of pictures

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
vulcan57

Shadows in corners of pictures

Post by vulcan57 »

Does anyone have any idea whats happening here? I am getting, from time to time, shadows across the upper right and lower left corners of my pictures. It doesn't happen all the time and if I remove the lens and then replace it, or put a different one on, it seems to rectify itself. I've noticed it mostly with my Canon 28-300mm L and 16-35mm L lenses, probably because they are the ones I tend to use most. My camera is a Canon 5D III about a year old. Looks as though the shutter is sticking or something so hoping that its nothing too serious and any info anyone might have would be appreciated.

I've tried uploading a sample picture but keep getting the message "It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image".

Pen Pusher

Re: Shadows in corners of pictures

Post by Pen Pusher »

I've had that from time to time but it's down to the petal lens hood not being clicked into place on the end of the lens and it's the longer petals that are getting in the opposite corners of the image. If that makes sense.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

john001

Post by john001 »

Brian is right I have had the same thing

vulcan57

Post by vulcan57 »

Phew! thanks for that lads. I've done a few test shots and that does seem to be the problem. Just glad its not anything serious.

AFC

Post by AFC »

vulcan57 wrote:Phew! thanks for that lads. I've done a few test shots and that does seem to be the problem. Just glad its not anything serious.

I bet you feel like an idiot right now? no offence :lol:

RRconway

Post by RRconway »

AFC wrote:
vulcan57 wrote:Phew! thanks for that lads. I've done a few test shots and that does seem to be the problem. Just glad its not anything serious.

Precisely the kind of unwanted, unsolicited kind of remarks that let this site down.
As for no offence....how exactly do you infer someone is an idiot without meaning it offensively?

Definition,
idiot
nouninformal
noun:
a stupid person.

archaic
a person of low intelligence.

Far from being an idiot, the OP has increased his knowledge!!!!
I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what I said is not what I meant.

AFC

Post by AFC »

RRconway wrote:
AFC wrote:

Precisely the kind of unwanted, unsolicited kind of remarks that let this site down.
As for no offence....how exactly do you infer someone is an idiot without meaning it offensively?

Definition,
idiot
nouninformal
noun:
a stupid person.

archaic

Its called a joke. The OPs problem was seemingly something so obvious (would've been the first thing i would have checked).
I guess people can't take jokes any more...

RRconway

Post by RRconway »

AFC wrote:
RRconway wrote:
AFC wrote:

Definition,
idiot
nouninformal
noun:
a stupid person.

archaic

Its called a joke. The OPs problem was seemingly something so obvious (would've been the first thing i would have checked).
I guess people can't take jokes any more...

Not funny, not a joke.
Just because you make offensive comments and then put "no offence" and a smiley does not make it inoffensive.
If all you can do is take the time to make derogatory remarks on a thread then don't bother.

As for seemingly obvious, apparently not to the OP otherwise he wouldn't have asked, thankfully there were more helpful members willing to offer advice instead of ridicule.
Feel free to dress it up in whichever way makes you feel better, but the bottom line is, it was an unsolicited, unwanted, unhelpful derogatory comment.
I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what I said is not what I meant.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

The smiley quite clearly infers he is joking or as the term is now "banter"...

To quote the rules
General derogatory banter is not uncommon on the board, especially from long-term board members, but anything of a spiteful nature will be moderated.

RRconway

Post by RRconway »

boff180 wrote:The smiley quite clearly infers he is joking or as the term is now "banter"...

To quote the rules
General derogatory banter is not uncommon on the board, especially from long-term board members, but anything of a spiteful nature will be moderated.

That's fine Andy, moderators etc can be wrong too.

Assuming he doesn't know the OP he has no way of knowing how he will take the comments, and therefore should keep his childish ramblings to himself.

Rather than some of the 'amusing' rules on here we should have one that every member should be able to expect respect?

P.S The definition of banter, in both its noun and verb talks about an exchange of light hearted comments.
So this is not banter in this case.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

RRconway wrote:Assuming he doesn't know the OP he has no way of knowing how he will take the comments, and therefore should keep his childish ramblings to himself

Assuming you don't know the OP, you also have no way of knowing whether he would take offence or not and therefore shouldn't be getting up on a high horse taking offence on his behalf. Which, if I were in that situation would take offence to..

If the OP is offended and makes a complaint to the Staff team we will take appropriate action, until then there is no evidence to suggest anything other than the post was made in jest and no forum rules have been broken.

RRconway

Post by RRconway »

boff180 wrote:
RRconway wrote:Assuming he doesn't know the OP he has no way of knowing how he will take the comments, and therefore should keep his childish ramblings to himself

Assuming you don't know the OP, you also have no way whether he would take offence or not and therefore shouldn't be getting up on a high horse taking offence on his behalf. Which, if I were in that situation would take offence to..

If the OP is offended and makes a complaint to the Staff team we will take appropriate action, until then there is no evidence to suggest anything other than the post was made in jest and no forum rules have been broken.

I don't know the OP and I don't know if he was offended but I do know that when
I see someone treating another person in that manner I will call them on it.
There is too much standing by and ignoring this sort of behaviour in life already.

Once more, no exchange, no banter, therefore rule broken.

I will leave it now. I've said my bit and people like him/her are unfortunately unlikely to listen anyway.

AFC

Post by AFC »

RRconway wrote:
boff180 wrote:

Assuming you don't know the OP, you also have no way whether he would take offence or not and therefore shouldn't be getting up on a high horse taking offence on his behalf. Which, if I were in that situation would take offence to..

I don't know the OP and I don't know if he was offended but I do know that when
I see someone treating another person in that manner I will call them on it.
There is too much standing by and ignoring this sort of behaviour in life already.

Once more, no exchange, no banter, therefore rule broken.

I will leave it now. I've said my bit and people like him/her are unfortunately unlikely to listen anyway.

I didn't personally call the OP and idiot... therefore no offence can be taken.
It would be different if I just straight up called him an idiot, but I didn't do that (and I never would do that).
So get down from your moral high horse, unless you think you are greater than the rest of us? In which case I am offended that you would think that way :whistle:

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

AFC wrote:Its called a joke.

Is it? If so it's a poor one.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP