Canon EOS 1D X Mark 2 *Update*

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
TKK 140

Canon EOS 1D X Mark 2 *Update*

Post by TKK 140 »

For those with deep pockets the anticipated upgrade is rumoured to be launched next week. Here is a link to the latest rumoured spec.

http://www.canonrumors.com/the-canon-eo ... fications/
Last edited by TKK 140 on Mon 01 Feb 2016, 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Private Custard

Re: Canon EOS 1D X Mark 2

Post by Private Custard »

20.2MP CMOS Sensor

What?? Damn, even the 5D3 has 2mp more. They're onto a loser if they can't compete with the D5 with regards to AF and noise performance. At this point canon are losing both, I though't they try to add the 5DS sensor to at least have one important trump card.

benji1867

Post by benji1867 »

Megapixels arnt remotely everything

Ben

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

Mega pixels are not being used that much anymore and
Large prints are not in demand as much, with large digital display screens and bill boards,
large paper prints are no so much in demand.

Big_Gareth

Post by Big_Gareth »

I agree with Private Custard actually.

The difference between the 18MP 1DX and the 22MP 5D3 IS noticeable.

A 20.2MP sensor is a step in the right direction but for Canon's flagship model to still not have the best resolution is ridiculous.

TKK 140

Re: Canon EOS 1D X Mark 2 *Update*

Post by TKK 140 »

Official release today.
http://thenewcamera.com/tag/canon-1dx-mark-ii/

Will be interesting to see the first independent reviews. Expect it will be 6-7 years before this comes to a reasonable 2nd hand price.

Lighning Fan

Post by Lighning Fan »

Big_Gareth wrote:I agree with Private Custard actually.

The difference between the 18MP 1DX and the 22MP 5D3 IS noticeable.

A 20.2MP sensor is a step in the right direction but for Canon's flagship model to still not have the best resolution is ridiculous.

At this level what do you consider the noticeable differences to be

bigfatron

Post by bigfatron »

Private Custard wrote:
20.2MP CMOS Sensor

What?? Damn, even the 5D3 has 2mp more. They're onto a loser if they can't compete with the D5 with regards to AF and noise performance. At this point canon are losing both, I though't they try to add the 5DS sensor to at least have one important trump card.

I would've thought the machine gun burst rate precludes having an obscenely high-res sensor on this. And if I remember rightly the high ISO on the 5DS sensor isn't in the same ballpark either. The 5DS and 1DX are pitched at different use cases. Yes, i'm surprised they've not gone a little higher on MP (and I mean mid-20s) but not the least bit surprised they've not gone for silly-high numbers.

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

Why does the flagship camera need the most MP? Surely it'll need 50MP+ to beat the newish 5DS?

It's got 16fps, and 400k+ iso, so I would imagine that plays a big part in keeping the MP down.
6D | 7D | 60D
11-16 f/2.8 | 24-105 IS L | 70-300 IS USM | 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 | 400 f/5.6

Hammy

Post by Hammy »

Had Canon shoved a 50-megapixel sensor in the 1DX II, then they would have alienated their core market.

The likes of the 1DX and Nikon D4s are around the 16-20-megapixel mark because they're designed to be used by the likes of press and sports photographers - imagine trying to get 50-megapixel files (which are of an unnecessarily large size for the job required) back to a picture editor during and after a Champions League match in time for a national going to print in the early hours.
Author, visionary, dreamweaver... Plus actor.

Planespotters.net gallery
mwneedham.com

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

£5,199 for a 20mp sensor camera. :shock:

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

benji1867

Post by benji1867 »

Hammy wrote:Had Canon shoved a 50-megapixel sensor in the 1DX II, then they would have alienated their core market.

The likes of the 1DX and Nikon D4s are around the 16-20-megapixel mark because they're designed to be used by the likes of press and sports photographers - imagine trying to get 50-megapixel files (which are of an unnecessarily large size for the job required) back to a picture editor during and after a Champions League match in time for a national going to print in the early hours.

Finally someone speaking some actual sense and not just just swayed by megapixel count.

EGDR

Post by EGDR »

Hammy wrote:Had Canon shoved a 50-megapixel sensor in the 1DX II, then they would have alienated their core market.

Spot on. Not everyone needs such large image files, especially not those interested in speed. If you do need the megapixels, then there are cameras like the 5DS and D810 that you can get instead.