Is my 30D dying

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
Z3roCool

Is my 30D dying

Post by Z3roCool »

Hi guys,

I was shooting some motorsport over the weekend and noticed my 30D with 400 5.6 would now fire sometimes when taking shots. I had the camera in aperture priority ISO 400 and aperture set to around f5.6 upwards with same effects on all settings. AI Servo was used. Same happends when using AI Focus. Camera was set to max fps.

I would get lock with focus and then pan with the bike etc and hold the trigger down but nothing. It would then fire one shot and then pause then another around half a second later. I did notice that when using a slower CF card I could see the camera buffering and then I would get slow fps as expected but never before when shooting RAW with a Sandisk Extreme III. This would occur when starting to shoot when no buffering was taking place. No errors coming up etc.

I gave the lens to my brother to try on his 40D and he was firing away with no issues, same settings. I tried his 70-200 2.8 IS and got similar problems on mine. I tried to clean the contacts on the camera/lens and this seemed to fix the issue for a while and then appeared again. Towards the end of the day symptons seemed to disappear.

Any ideas to what this could be?? Just a bit worried about body packing up on me

Z3roCool

Re: Is my 30D dying

Post by Z3roCool »

Ok, bit sad...I am answering my own post :whistle: It seems there is a known issue with camera where a curcuit board or plunger fails and needs replacing. Trying to get a quote for repairing. The button on the grip works fine so pretty sure it this. Thought I would post it in case anyone else has similar issue.