EOS7d mk1 and Sigma 150-600 C user advice please.

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
pb643

EOS7d mk1 and Sigma 150-600 C user advice please.

Post by pb643 »

After some serious thought I have exchanged my Canon 100-400L ( after almost 18 years use, I had still got almost 50% of its original cost back :dizzy: ) for the Sigma 150-600mm C.

I have read a lot of reviews on the lens and have ordered the USB dock. I have a basic understanding of some of the settings.

If anyone would care to offer any advice regarding this lens or lens and camera combination, then I will be most grateful.

First trip out planned for Old Warden on Sunday, so there will not be too much tinkering time.

Phil

Jetnoise

Re: EOS7d mk1 and Sigma 150-600 C user advice please.

Post by Jetnoise »

Phil,
Cant help with the EOS7D pairing (I have a 5D Mk2), but I too have just obtained the same lens (Contemporary) and the dock. The only changes I have made so far is to update the lens' firmware (it asked me if I wanted to do that when I first plugged the lens/dock combo in to the PC) and to configure the "Custom1" function with the faster autofocus setting. I too have not had the opportunity to play with it and OW is its first outing in anger. I tried a few LHR departure shots the other day to check the focus and, at first view all is OK so I will not be adjusting the focus settings until I have done some more serious work with it.

Cheers,
Ralph
www.ralphluntphotography.com
www.jetnoise.co.uk
There's only one way to skin a cat - with a very sharp knife.

pb643

Re: EOS7d mk1 and Sigma 150-600 C user advice please.

Post by pb643 »

Jetnoise wrote:Phil,
Cant help with the EOS7D pairing (I have a 5D Mk2), but I too have just obtained the same lens (Contemporary) and the dock. The only changes I have made so far is to update the lens' firmware (it asked me if I wanted to do that when I first plugged the lens/dock combo in to the PC) and to configure the "Custom1" function with the faster autofocus setting. I too have not had the opportunity to play with it and OW is its first outing in anger. I tried a few LHR departure shots the other day to check the focus and, at first view all is OK so I will not be adjusting the focus settings until I have done some more serious work with it.

Cheers,
Ralph

The dock arrived today and having had a little play, the focus micro adjustment is not going to be straight forward, there are some tutorials on YouTube, but they tend to pick a nice simple prime lens to tweak. I did get the new firmware on and configured the two custom options for the two extremes of auto focus. Will see how it goes..

I hope you have a good day at Old Warden Ralph.