Post processing

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
AFC

Post processing

Post by AFC »

As the thread title suggests, what do you guys do in terms of post processing?

Personally I use Lightroom. I normally raise the shadows and play around with the exposure a bit, I then add some sharpening (between 30-50 on the top slider, leaving the other sliders alone) and some noise removal (between 20-30 on the top slider, once again leaving the other sliders the alone). After that I may increase the saturation of the blue colour channel a bit to make the sky more blue if it is needed, I also play around with the contrast, highlights etc.
Then repeat for every photo.

Any tips on how to improve this? (Especially sharpening and noise removal, what do the other sliders do?)
Also what are you're post processing work flows?

Cheers,
James

tankbuster

Re: Post processing

Post by tankbuster »

Not a replacement for your current methods but add the Google Nik collection, it's free now and amazingly powerful.

https://www.google.com/nikcollection/

I have it embedded into Photoshop Elements and I think you can do the same with Lightroom. Huge number of functions and many are much less than degrading than you will get with Lightroom.
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

wallace

Re: Post processing

Post by wallace »

Learn to read a histogram and adjust that to suit the individual photo and fllowing a course on Lynda.com (or the like) would give you a great grounding on how LR works.

The sharpening in LR is only meany to give a gentle sharpening to counter the anti-aliasing filter in your camera and not really meant as a final solution.

The develop Module in LR has a top to bottom workflow, although you do not have top adjust each slider if there is no reason top do so.